Sabbing refs should gradually reduce HP to 1.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by teh_ham, Jun 15, 2009.

1. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

It takes about 20-30 seconds for a sabbed ref to die - I can't be the only one that thinks this is stupid.
    I don't know if this applies to other structures, if someone could clarify that'd be great.

Lets look at a few key points:

- No warning given to commander/players that the ref has been sabbed
    - Scout will most probably have hide, making him almost undetectable
    - Sabbing takes about 5 seconds to complete
    - Requires very little skill
    - Effort needed to recover is considerably more than effort needed to sabotage

Proposal:
    Nerf sabotage ability so that refineries take gradual damage over time. E.g a sabbed refinery with 100% hp would take 2 minutes to decay to 1%.

2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Yes.
    <filler>

3. Mashav

Mashav Member

1:42 for rax/vf
    1:04 for ref/radar/repairpad
    42 for armoury/turret
    all including sab time of 4 seconds

for reference

But ya... Its silly, promotes lone wolfing and the fact that its so overpowered is the main reason that most people(who aren't wanting to screw around with the rifle) plays scout. The fact that it used to take somewhere around 2 1/2 mins to kill a turret with sabotage kinda shows how far they've taken it.

Balancing the scout around an unbalanced mechanic doesn't work, this is the second time they've done it, and its no better this time.

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

3:00 for rax/vf
    <><> for ref (drops to 1hp minimum w/ half resources)
    30 for turret.
    45 armory.
    3:30 radar
    1:30 repair pad.

5. Mashav

Mashav Member

Throwing numbers out without explanation doesn't help for those who can't figure out what you mean.

I still don't even like your changes to the time it takes. The fact that he can still kill any building by himself, with no skill investment, ammo investment, or time investment above 4 seconds still seems like a bad idea to me.

I still want sabotage to do no damage over time. If people still want OP sabotage, add a skill that halves the time to sabotage, adds 2.23 sabotage DoT and triggers under attack messages.

Sabotage was fine when it first came out, Its the scout as a whole that has a problem.

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Oh, I thought it was obvious. More important buildings = longer time.

The other DoT was extremely unnoticeable.

Agreed, however no matter how you justifiy it, a silent killer is overpowered.

7. Mashav

Mashav Member

It was obvious to me, but it might not be for others.

The other DoT was unnoticeable to the point where there are 3 paths:
    1:Make it deal no DoT, people won't really notice either way.
    2:Keep the low DoT because its a small addition, that doesn't really affect it.
    3:Buff the DoT so that its much more noticable.

I'm obviously for 1: with maybe 3 on a skill and noticeable to the point of causeing "this is under attack" messages.

You seem to be for 21/2 with small DoT on some while higher on others.

The Devs obviously went for 3, but did so to a point where its incredibly unbalanced.

A silent killer in of itself is not overpowered, pre-2.23 sabotage proved this. Its the amount of time it takes. Hell, even if it wasn't silent, Sabotage as is now would still be incredibly powerful.

8. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

How about every 20 seconds, the sab'd buildings health is cut in half. This way, a scout with hide/ammo inc can carry 4 stick stuns and kill an enemy base, *alone*, but it'll take time. AND you'll receive warning, "We have lost a building."

Iono, just throwing things out there.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'm actually against this. While I really agree saboutage is way to overpowered as it is right now, I feel refineries are the only building (other than turrets) that saboutage should actively kill.

It's basically because it's one of the major ways to dent an avalanche team that isn't paying as much attention as it should to it's territory on the map. While i'm against a scout taking down a complete base by itself in something like 3 minutes (which is ridiculous!!), I have seen ref saboutage work a few times and give a team on the backfoot a great big opportunity. If you think about it, that one ref nearby the main base that goes down pretty early without the commander noticing, can really be a tide turner.

So, no, I think refs should still die because they are outlying buildings. Everything except refs and turrets should stay alive.

There's an opening for a suggestion here actually. You could make it that no building dies until every building in the near promiximity is saboutaged, and building health decays half as fast (or even slower) until that is done. This is on top of saboutage timings being put to something decent.

10. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Sabbed refs give half resources.

KAPOW!

11. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

If refineries won't die from sabotage the resources should be lowered.

Refinery damaged to 50% by sabotage = 50% of the resources.
    Refinery damaged to 1% by sabotage = 1% of the resources.

12. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

The fact is; one person in a jeep shouldn't be able to silently kill every resource of the enemy, AND THEN be a bitch to find.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If it's a jeep it shouldn't be hard. Sneaking around by foot takes a long time, and should somewhat be rewarded, even if the guy usually doing it is useless.

14. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

You're kidding me? No one wants to pursue a jeep across the whole map. Not to mention that any engine-upgraded jeep is faster than anything else.

It's just annoying knowing that all your refs will die in one minute if you don't repair them all.

15. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

And how often does this happen? I only saw it a few times on open maps with many refineries (cyclopean, tropicvendetta). And this was already a time ago, because players have realized that sabotage rarely leads to victory.
    And in most situations an engineer would be more usefull, because he can build a new ref.

16. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Actually, I do it quite often. Even if I only get one ref, 100 ref > 65 jeep.

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Make it so scout stickys dont hurt buildings

18. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Why shouldn't they?

19. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

So scouts can't take out buildings alone.

20. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

How about ideas for the CURRENT overpowered ness. My idea *
    * is a good one.