Reviving in a Rax

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329, Feb 23, 2011.

1. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

When people die in a rax or armory or vehicle factory, their bodies always drop through the floor. This can get really annoying because it basically makes those people unrevivable. I was wondering if it would be possible to turn on ragdoll collisions with buildings so that their bodies don't drop through the floors?

2. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

ragdoll collision also disable you from using the secret room in Midbridge, which makes me sad.

yeh.. pretty much a pro scout can cost the enemy team like 3-5 tickets because of this. no chance to even revive, except squad revive.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I think it's based on how source treats death on dynamic entities, for instance the siege towers in age of chivalry whenever you die you fall through it.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Annoying, and it happens with every building. I don't really know what causes it or how it works to be honest.

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

hmm, we should play with ragdoll collision cvars a bit

6. Trickster

Is there any possibility that ragdolls could actually be synced across all clients? Atm every client sees the ragdoll differently.

7. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

That would offload the ragdolls to be server-side, then, would it not? Would that add too much stress?

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why not make people re-spawn near-instantly if they die INSIDE a barracks they own and don't lose tickets for it

should counter spawn camping aswell lol

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

i hate you so much

ragdolls dont collision with entitys (in empires)

10. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

why would you ever do that. why. raxes could stay repaired forever.

11. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

This wouldn't work. You'd have whole squads camping inside their immortality box.

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

or maybe not die in rax. The spawn protection isn't so mega, I can still kill people the instant they spawn, I don't even know if spawn protection exist, if so, can someone give what the conditions of it working are?

13. Empty

Empty Member

Do you have any idea how much strain that would put on the server?
    I used to run a gmod server and for every serverside ragdoll someone spawned, everyones pings doubled because of how much info had to be sent.

Imagine that but with 64 corpses for 64 players, rather than 1 corpse between 5.

14. Demented

Demented Member

Client-side ragdolls have never collided with other entities in any multiplayer Source game I can recall. This behavior is different from anything else I can think of, even prop_physics_multiplayer.

While I'm sure that making the clients collide with objects would make them even more ridiculous (players seeing a body being pushed around by a tank or shoved into a wall, but others players not), it's one of the most annoying things to see when a corpse falls completely through an otherwise solid object.

15. Trickster

Surely there are ways of optimising it. Remember that in gmod, the entire pose has to be synced. I'm just talking about the positing, so it would only sync the torso.

16. FN198

FN198 Member

spawn somewhere else, $@(&$!

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

It's still a lot of information. I suppose that once the player dies, you stop sending player position and start sending ragdoll position (hilariously broken features may result because of player position not being sent). If you don't want the ragdoll to rubberband, you'll also want to have it predicted (means it also has to calculate ragdoll on server, I do not know if this is already the case).

It seems like a pretty extreme solution for this problem.

18. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Just increase the vertical height with which one can revive someone. Only by a few feat. Can't see that being exploited much.

19. Trickster

Can't it just sync it like it syncs players? Surely it just means that 64 players are constantly alive at max, rather than as low as 0 (before spawn) and as high as 64 (after spawn).

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

make a "revive hitbox"

basically a bubble or square dependant on where the ragdoll is on YOUR client, and if you are inside of it, you revive the person

if you are inside of multiple ones, random pick

sure this opens the door for revive hack programs where people can revive over distance by looking at people, but its better then what we have now and such programs will be easily recognisable and only limitedly succesful