Revamp Plasma

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Duke Pending, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Duke Pending

Duke Pending Member

I'm sure there are going to be people arguing with me on this one, but here's hoping I'm not the only one with this opinion. I feel as though plasma weapons need some serious reworking. The MGs are tremendously annoying, but even that is more livable in my mind than the cannons. For what they, to me, seem to be meant for primarily (overheating an enemy tank) they seem instead to actually be more of an overpowered super weapon. Not only will they cripple your tank in one shot, but they do some serious damage.

Now when I was first playing Empires and had just read about plasma weaponry, I had a somewhat different understanding of what they were. The fact that they would push up an enemy tank's heat gauge was clear enough. However, I was under the impression that this took some time, maybe not a lot, but something where the enemy would have some time to respond, and that their use of their own weaponry would help contribute to the overheating. Instead I learned the hard way that they overheat instantly. (MG takes less than a second, cannon it hits you and that's it.)

Okay, so you try and strategize around it. I'll admit I'm no expert, I don't have a lot of time to play games anymore, but things I have tried so far have given me minimal success. Mostly, if I have enough room and a bio diesel engine, I can run away and pray to surprise the plasma user later. That's about the greatest success I can guarantee. Other than that, while possible, it's very luck of the draw, and I'm often on the losing end. So there's my view on it. In short, I'd really like to see the effect of plasma weaponry toned down slightly, that's biggest to me. At the very least, though, I'd like to no longer see plasma cannons, on top of their primary misery making, shred through tanks like, well, a hot knife through butter.

2. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I agree. Although it is buried quite deep in the tech tree, there is nothing more annoying than being shot at by a plasma cannon and not being able to do a single thing to defend yourself (other than run away screaming).

3. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

...and that's only with bio diesel.

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

and weapons like these reward players that use teamwork.
    A plasma mg apc cant actually kill a tank without help from other tanks, plasma mg cant overheat a tank it cannot see. Plasma cannon isnt that strong itll take 3 or 4 shots to completly overheat a tank, and overheating only takes one or 2 seconds and they will be able to shoot again. a plasma mg tank has a hard time killing infantry, in some setups even damaging tanks

Im against ramboage and nerfing plasma mg only promotes ramboage

the weight system took care of this problem, a slight nerf wouldnt hurt but as things are now I dont see why its needed, at all.

edit: heres another thread about nerfing plasma: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=960
    just look at things in a teamwork perspective instead of comparing tanks one on one, because if you constantly keep comparing things one on one you might find half of the research obsolete

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  5. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

We checked it a bit today on FB server. Plasma MG was gayest weapon that you can use. 3 heavy tanks on one side that used it and second team couldn't do anything but hide around a corner and try to kill heavies using arty.

Dizzyone: this weapon does not exactly promote teamwork. You can buy a tank with railgun and plasma mg. Start shooting at enemy from 500m go closer and closer and finish him with railgun while he can only run away (if he has good engine). About infantry: it's easy to kill with a nuke or HE cannon. One tank from the group gets it = group is impossible to kill without using arty (that requires almost ideal coordination).

I don't want to nerf or change plasma cannon at all. I just think that plasma mg should give more heat to tank that is firing it. To that degree that you can't be a rambo that overheats from 500 m and finishes without a problem from 5 m all tanks *one by one*.

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

sry i totally forgot weapons actually kill stuff, skipped my mind i guess :p

7. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

A heavy tank with a good setup from multiple trees? OH SHI--

I guess that match was nearing a close anyway.

8. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

thats what reflexive (absorbant?) armor is for

9. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Nice once Letuce, that's what I was thinking. If you honestly have nukes and railguns, and people have arties and heavies, and the armour or engines to back it up, then you better expect heavy weoponary.

Think of basically the end of WW2, war tech is just about at it's prime, and boom! The nuke goes off. gg no re :D