Results from BUGTEST #1 (25/11/2011)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Beerdude26, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Many thanks to everyone who tested, I heard you guys were pretty relentless in getting the server to crash, and we are working on fixing the reported bugs as we speak (mainly Jephir, actually :p).

Another important effect of this bugtest is the discovery that our automated build system was out of action, which makes bug fixing very, very hard, as the minidumps require symbols that the automated build system generates. Of course, if we knew what build version the Steam version was at, we could generate those symbols now, but unfortunately, we do not.

I've just fixed this system, and made it so it includes the build version in the commit message (currently commits to SVN, I'll update the Steam depots manually for now). This should help us out A LOT for bug fixing, because we will now be able to use those minidumps to tell us exactly where in the code the game crashed.

You guys have also been an excellent help, discovering over 15 bugs in something like 30 minutes. Crash bugs (or 'Showstoppers') will be fixed first to allow for more testing.

Keep up the good work!

2. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I used SVN revision 793 if that helps any.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Shit all looks good for tomorrow's pug. Keep passing the info on to people to sign up to this so we can have proper games.

4. Twerty

Twerty Member

Really? That's kind of amazing, you guys work fast.

5. Daizy

Daizy Member

I do apologize for not being there for the first test but I had to work today and could not participate. I am absolutely pumped that the Devs are working on Empires again. Out of all the games I have and have tried, I am anxious to see that Empires find its own place in the gaming community and to be a part of that makes my favorite game even more special. Missing today's test was truly a disappointment for me. See you all again soon.
    Daiz

6. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

You shouldn't be sorry, more than enough people showed up for it. They only asked for a small group of people and more than 14 showed up. Today's testing on the other hand needs as many as we can get.

7. Swaan

Swaan Member

i really wonder who's behind all of this :)
    Trickster, Jephir et cetra...
    If i had any knowledge in areas you'd need then sure i'd help if i could :( Unfortunatly i do not...

perhaps if "we" (emp comunity) get enough coders, people that make 3d models and are ready to invest time we could "update" the whole game visually and "game" wise.

If nothing else i could be included for brainstorming :P

which brings me to my first idea that could perhaps benefit beta:
    Discussion thread for new features and those that were excluded so people can speak about it and perhaps propose a good or worse alternative or change :)

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if youd know how "new" the contents of your posts are. all what you said existed at certain points but died due to ego bullshit.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  9. Swaan

Swaan Member

is that aimed @me?

i know i am not the only dreamer in empires... :) i dont know about anything being done tho...

Empires is as far as gameplay goes fantastic or else we wouldn't play it :) and visualy i wouldn't change much either. i'd rather play it as it is then (reference @nuclear dawn) with better graphics... It's just not the kind of game you'd need real life like graphics with it (actualy "crysis like" graphics would kill it as far as the gameplay goes...)

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yes sorry, if the reply is directly after the post i find quoting to be useless.
    anyway, i dont think that better visuals would kill the game, more like the complete opposite.

i also dont mean to blame anyone in special, from the public view at least (ive never been involved very deep), all parties where equally guilty about letting their ego-trip kill a lot of attempts to improve empires visually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.