Respawning VFs

Discussion in 'Archive' started by SwampRat, Oct 21, 2007.

1. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

When vfs respawn in urbanchaos etc, they seem to get plonked down regardless of whats there - you can have walls, turrents and all sorts sprouting through the vf if you put them there.

Could this be made to either kill whats there, not allow building in the area or to not respawn the vf until its clear?

I tried taking screenshots but seem to be inherently rubbish at doing so. I got one with the print screen button - whats the one that saves it properly / where does it save to?

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

not allowing things to be built in that area sounds best.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

That means you can't build cameras near it tho... :(

However im for this idea. I express shame at myself for on a few ocasions I have placed walls in perfect spots so that when it respawns people can niether get into the VF but can't drive out of it too... hehe. The best one tho is to build a box around yourself and wait for respawn then when the VF shows up... your pushed on top of the VF. Start deconstructing it from your invulnerable position. :)

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

she means just in the imidiate area that the VF occupies.

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

There's entities for the mapper to avoid this, one for commander placed buildings and one for engineers. However i'm not sure if you can use both entities on the same spot.
    Also i think it doesn't stop engies from placing ammo boxes.

Viroman has a valid point. Maybe we should restrict player access to that area as well. However it would be weird if there's a big open space that, when you go there, you die or walk against an invisible wall.

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

just keep the building there?

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

To be honest i think knighttemplar is right. Make the building invulnerable to enemy fire. Broccoli and Solokiller figured out how to do that more than half a year ago, although their solution protects buildings against everything but the engineer tool.

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

i always considered the vf's to be a part of the map, so i never really felt like protecting them was a part of the gameplay. However if it really is intended that way, then yes, you would need a punishment and not having a vf for a specified time would work.

So i guess it depends on what you want with the map.

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

But i like it that way :(

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You know, you could place a model of the VF there which is not visible when the VF is there, and visible when the VF is dead. That way you know where the VF is, you can't obstruct the VF, and everybody is happy.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

like, a dead VF image (with smoke) to sit there when the normal VF is destroyed? sounds pretty good.

dont remove destroyable VF's, that will be a majoy gameplay stepback to stop a very minor bug.

12. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

yeah, i was asking for a destroyed model of the VF, not for it to be invulnerable.

13. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I think the easiest and best working solution would be to have a brush which blocks engineers at building in the area where VFs will respawn after some time.