Researchable tank passive equipment

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Andariel, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Andariel

Andariel Member

Another rather simple to implent function.

Giving tanks slots which could house special equipment like improved coolant(adding coolant efficency), Different internal Materials(granting several effects like more space, increased hardness etc), Hardened tracks, which reduce damage taken from mines, or an ECM, which simply increases the time to lock on for any homing equipment (turrets etc)

The possibilities are endless and could impact the effectivity of tanks on the field and giving players the ability to furthermodify the tanks totheir specific needs, might it be a bit more speed to catch that pesky fission light raiding ur bases senseless, or a bit more heat capabilities to fire that extra shot on that stupid bioplasma heavywho is retreating anytime youd got him, or even a specific piece reducing your tanks effectivity a bit but giving you a cheaper tank as offset

The only drawback i see could be overwhelming new effects that many might be confused by (you know those people that cant read)

2. Empty

Empty Member

Been suggested and shot down many many many many times.

3. Andariel

Andariel Member

Really? i havent found anything like this over search..

What were the reasons?

4. Empty

Empty Member

Doesn't add a lot to the game, needs lots of code, balance issues, lazy devs.

5. Andariel

Andariel Member

how does it need a lot of code? most can be done within the scripting system, the more complicated stuff (at least which i couldnt do with spending some time on the scripts) is adding all those somewhere on the research tree

and when kept small enough bonuses, with cheap costs past specific already given research, i do not see any good reason, they could always ask an tester to brew it up quickly, put the files online and get some then to check out how to balance those, and finally devs then agreeing on the results the testers got with a final playtest (or2)

6. Empty

Empty Member

You have strange misconceptions about game developement.

7. Andariel

Andariel Member

well i helped out in some mods already and there were already these "we're to lazy soemone can do this quick with some people" stuff that got done quite quick and succesfull

8. Empty

Empty Member

Sorry:
    You have strange misconceptions about game Empires developement.

9. Andariel

Andariel Member

i try to think of some witty but all that comes is:
    -.-

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

might answer why it got shot down so many times:confused: :rolleyes: ^^

11. Andariel

Andariel Member

well you could add the improved coolant to the coolant engine for more coolness
    armor saves tanks but improved materials improve hull itself (i know armor does at the moment too, but an tougher hull itself is no bad)
    Defusal just stops mines do work, the hardened tracks example would simply let you take a bit less damage
    And with ecm you could annoy all those homing salvo shotgun heavys

i is experienced wisecrack a can argue anything

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

less often is more ...

more understandability, more ballance (i felt dirty while writing this looking at physicspires atm), more less useless stuff ...

apart from that - you cant put that in any research tree or would you want to put, lets use your coolant plugin exampe, in the same research item as coolant engine? why not make coolant engine just more cooling then? its not like empires would be built around a choice what tanks you are able to drive. its mainly one research path, with one updated tank setup - maybe a slight variation later on, but basically thats it.

you might wanna discuss this system as a whole - but it wouldnt fit into our current research scheme.

13. Andariel

Andariel Member

sometimes you have matches where you fight so long you do not run outof tickets and have a couple weapons armors and engines researched, those would be the ideal moment to put the right buff on your tank for a final edge, which is why i wanted to share this idea

and ye, improved coolant could be after coolant engine, an "supercharger" past fission/3phase (both have excellent hp), a lightweight hull could be after composite, a hardened tracks after reactive and so forth

but ye unfortunate for many, less is sometimes better, i cant disagree on that

14. Omneh

Omneh Member

What about cool and awesome stuff like cloaking devices, laser point defence systems that shoot down projectiles, mine deployers, stuff with interesting and unique effects instead of boring straight stat boosters?

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

flares that mess up homing and guided missiles etc would be cool

also smoke screens that hide your tank to anyone further then 1500 units and stuff (the closer you are to the smoke, the more transparent)

stuff like cloaking devices, or prism devices like prism tanks in red alert (stand still = invis)

stuff like "heat flushing" being that it flushes your heat to zero when max overheat but does some damage to the chassis in return

etc etc i can keep going would serve to keeping tank battles interesting

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  16. Andariel

Andariel Member

i personally do not think that that stuff like invisiblity or lasers would be good according to "game reality".. (i know ya guys do just joke)

the whole idea is "passive" addons, boosts that do not require your action

on the other hand i wouldnt mind active equipment either, a smokescreen, emergency coolant pods(mechwarrior series ; ) or minedropper do sound awesome

just as note: i personally wish that fission tanks should go up in a big boom but thats just me loving reactor meltdowns in games

17. Empty

Empty Member

Did someone say laser?

18. Mr Anderson

Mr Anderson Member

I do agree with all this, i meen for example fission is good for speed but the coolent can be bad at times so you could use the coolent perk also no one mentiond lasers. . . yet

19. willvette

willvette Member

You mean countermeasures, right blizzerd; I say that they NEED to be in the game, but I prefer to have em as a one slot missiles that shots upwards when fired and incoming missiles MIGHT fallow.

20. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

There used to be something called Empires: AU. The designer made all sorts of weird shit, one of which was an MG slot gun that had no damage and negative heat. would cool off the engine. Can't remember if it worked properly or not, but I thought it did.

never heard of it?

yeah, there's a reason for that...

at any rate, combo armors has already had an implementation attempt, and it failed. Devs decided never to go back to it.