Research

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Killa-Kanga, May 27, 2007.

1. Killa-Kanga

Killa-Kanga Ask me how to open a .cfg file today!

(only postinf now cuz my internet is DOWN!!)
    Ok i have an idea and most people that usualy play RTS will regognize
    And that is that certain research that effects lets say vehicles in the way of improving armor, geting new chassis or guns or whatnot could be moved to thee VF instead of radar to make it more closely tied in with the actuall building.
    Sure, then you have a radar without much use, but on the other hand you can place the remaning misc research items in the radar to not make it competly obsolete

/edited slightly to make understandble, take some time writing and read through your posts kanga, they are incredibly hard to understand in their current form

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Well the problem is that all tech goes to vehicles, only other thing would be turrets, so I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest.

3. Killa-Kanga

Well maybe you should play an RTS game like C&C Generals THEN you will know what i mean and it is not just vehicles either

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Noob Post RAMPAGE!!!!

5. Killa-Kanga

Hey fuck off i'm not a noob

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I lold Knight :D
    (no offense killa)

I know exactly what you mean, but I don't see how suggestion would apply to empiresmod, and saying games should resemble generals more is really not going to work in your favour...

7. Caelo

Caelo Member

meh Krenzo should first add some infantry researches (armoured vests and such)

8. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Also; we need research to increase infantry/building/vehicle health.

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the thing about empires is that it's not like an upgrade, but an actual research that has to be uploaded to the local area's um, battle knowledge. this is why they are giant radars. to receive information.

10. Align

Align Member

Makes sense.
    More research in general would be nice.

11. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

infantry upgrades have been desired since 1.01.

but the plot reason why all research is done by the radar is that it is not really 'research,' it is downloading the programs to give to the nanites. i mean, it would be prety silly (and is prety silly in SC and C&C if you stop and think) for a civilization to re-research everything every time it sees the enemy.

but the ingame (ie: important) reason is that simple = good, especially in a game that already has allot of other stuff going on.

12. Caelo

Caelo Member

meh infantry "upgrades" could be added to the existing researches..

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

some of them could, like regen armour or something for rifleman (that they could pick instead of their normal armour)

but other stuff, such as new weapons perhaps, would be a nice addition. grenade launcher for grenadier, or a chaff grenade designed specifically to confuse turrets for the scout

14. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

This has been talked to death three times since Ive been on these forums... The latest one ended saying, After airplains then MAYBE.... So give the guy a break hes the only one doing any codeing.

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

And what would the radar do? Currently every structure has its unique puropouse so there is no "Insta win" structure that once down insures your victory...

Right now you have to balance your budget (Early game) do you go for that APC rush? Or do you build a radar and go for tech?

Possibly later the VF could have its own ressearch, but what would be placed in there?

16. flatmush

flatmush Member

I think that the only thing vaguely resembling this that might make sense would be if you made it so that you could only research vehicle stuff once you have a vehicle factory and a radar and make weapons research require an armoury or something, but these are things that should be finishing touches and the game is far from completion (even though it is immensely fun in it's current state).

17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

radar = vehicle research, armory = infantry research. makes the most sense to me.

18. nulloperations

nulloperations Member

Agreed here too, especially since it makes sense to me that you would go pick up the infantry researched stuff in the armory.

19. Caelo

Caelo Member

but then the armory would be the uber infantry building!~why not give it a spawnpoint too?

20. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I've always liked the idea that you could pick up infanty upgrades (like parachutes) at the armoury, but I'm 100% the idea of research being DONE there. it just wouldn't look right.