Research suggestion

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Zealoth, May 27, 2008.

1. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

Give option to research upgrades to basic vehicles, for e.g
    1.Ability to research additional weapon slot:
    +MG slot on LT/AFV/APC (If jeep will get MG slot, it should affect it too)
    2.Research Increased Weight Limit(higher capability) for them
    +(amount needs discussion)

Research in Mechanical Engeneering tree. Add new branch or attach it to existing one. (Personally, i think it should be automatically with Upgraded Chassis, because it makes sense to me.)

Pros:
    -solves "latest vehicles are the best" problem
    -not make game unbalanced, even 2*HEMG APC goes down in 2 RPG shots.
    -adds more wariety in vehicles outfit (2*HEMG,HEMG+2*StdMG, DUHMG+CG and so on)

Cons:
    -Some ppl may not like getting owned by dual HEMGs or DUMGs APC :D
    -feel free to whine :P

What do you think?

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

id personally like a research part for mechanical engineering that allows more armour and more slots etc.

3. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

so generally u agree with me?:D but i think t should only affect basic vehicles, heavies dont need more power

4. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

aye, well jeeps will be getting mounted turrets implemented. I do agree with you, its just theres not enough detail. You do mean, implement a peice of the mechanical engineering tree so that you can upgrade afv/lt's, apc's and jeeps to add more slots for weapons and armour and engines and also reduce weight.

5. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

as you see i add more details during debate, so keep checking main post :)

6. petemyster

petemyster Member

this idea is pretty good. Though i wouldn't like to change the fact, the BE heavy tank's weight is 1337 :p

7. Mr.Bungles

Mr.Bungles Member

the main post is slightly better, but you should probably add it in the format

Pros:
    Cons:
    Alternatives:

make it look classy and proffessional.

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It's usually just better to explain your suggestion then later on make out pros and cons from the discussion, it's hard to figure out most of the pros and cons straight away when making the suggestion, unless you've worked out your suggestion all the way, but when does that happen?

About the suggestion, it's one way to implement variations on a chassis, the way that has been discussed more thoroughly is either adding different variations of the same chassis, spread over the research tree, or having different turrets to put onto a chassis that will change the chassis stats. It's easier to implement and easier to control with balance in mind, also fits a lot better in the empires design, where balance is maintained at all tiers of research, not in all cases, (definitly not with HE in mind) but in most cases you will see that there was some idea in the back of the mind to keep things balanced 1 on 1. Both changes made by me and FalconX have stepped away from this idea, while your idea could be implemented with an overall balance of all research in mind, its still more work to achieve and harder to see what kind of tank you're facing. The latter is already an issue, where you have no clue what armor or engine your enemy is using at first sight, some types can be retrieved by observing behaviour, but I would still classify this as a problem, and your suggestion only adds up to it. If instead it was a seperate chassis with improved weight or slots, the model could also be modified and it's also easier to balance as you're balancing an addition, instead of an upgrade that can be used in different combinations and on different chassis.
    All this could definitly be done with your suggestion, but again, it's a different way of doing it, in my view it just doesn't fit into the current empiresmod compared to the other ways to do it, and its still harder to balance and more work to implement.

Kinda hard to explain why I think it doesnt really fit in te same way as jut having extra chassis, but as eaxmple, you already pick a chassis, you already research chassis, so doing this with variations of a chassis, all the code for it is already in place. The system you suggest is one that hasn't been used in any part of the customization, the only thing that comes close to it is the recent RPG upgrades, but I would rather call those a quick hack to fix an issue than something that was put into its right ful place, which would be a infantry customization/upgrade system.

So in the end, it's a valid suggestion a lot of people want to see, but I don't see the pros of this way to add variation, and ultimately improving tank combat (also fixing that issue, where supposedly the last tank you research is the best, but this is something that can be fixed in a lot of ways, this would not necessarily be the main reason to implement variations) compared to the other ways already worked out and pretty much come down to the same thing in a different setting.

As well as that if you would want this to work properly, you would have to look at every tank individually, while this system makes it seem like its an actual dynamic and modular way of implementing chassi upgrades, essentially it's not, so why try and overcomplicate its implementation.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  9. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Moar Drunken 3 Phase Jeep Drivers

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

i agree with dizzy (if i correctly understand that flood of text D: )