Research Restructure: Move Arty down one level with Mediums

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Starcitsura, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Summary: Artillery should be at the same level as mediums

Detail:
    Artillery is hardly used. I believe this is because of its location in the tech tree. Artillery is useful, however heavies are more useful, so why would any com get both.
    Heavies are good at Anti Tank, and Anti Emplacement.
    Mediums are good at Anti Tank,
    Artillery are good at Anti Emplacement.

Moving Artillery to Upgraded Chassis just makes sense.
    Artillery may be to strong mid game. I don't think this is the case, because you would only be starting out with the "Small Artillery" generally, and by time you have HE, et al mid game is almost over. Further more, if you aren't at an end game scenario, it should be rather easy to counter Artillery. Unless the artillery is properly backed up with Medium tanks, in which case, the team using this tactic deserves to win.

Pros:
    • The artillery tank is used more
    • Less heavies/nukes
    Cons:
    • The artillery tank may be too strong to be used mid game
    Alternatives:
    • Remove "Advanced Chassis"

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I agree it needs something to be changed cause at the moment you need to get real close to hit anything and then they are easily killed because of limited armor/view/speed.

Plus they are so damn expensive. I miss the old arty in 1.7. They actually won games.

3. President Dick

President Dick Member

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Tanks were expensive in 1.07, tanks got dirt cheap in 1.08, that's probably the biggest reasons artillery's don't do so well anymore as tanks just rip them to shreds.

I think this is a justified change, I will give it a go.

5. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Seems like arty is really just meant for turtle-busting right now. I can agree with this because its not like suggesting a rail-heavy, in that arty is tough to use correctly. It would NEED a range buff though, maybe even a way to choose the power of the shot.

It's also not unreasonable to lose a battle because your tank division was wiped out by artillery, considering hills & terrain.

6. communism

communism poof

Arty is getting a buff of its own. Wait for official details

7. Gnar

Gnar Member

I STrONGLY agree with this. i like using artys, but i would just rather use a heavy by the time we get artys. artys are the most under used vehicle, but are capable of massive damage without taking any damage. I see that communism said there is going ot be a buff for it, in the mean time, it definally should be lowered to med area.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Guys. Its being tested and is actually in our 2.2 beta testing stuff at the moment. Its like the first successful suggestion. Ever.

/discussion

9. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

no its not

in fact, arties have their own prerequisite tech, and actually are even more useless than they are now

10. Empty

Empty Member

This man speaks truth.

11. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

I R Winnar

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  12. o_O

o_O Member

Great idea. Artillery is so expensive anyway that you end up trading several medium tanks worth of res for one arty so I doubt it would be overpowered (except on small maps or possibly with the ranged cannon). I would love to see them used for something other then turtle breaking.