Research Med Tanks?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329, Dec 22, 2009.

1. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Why does no one research med tanks?
    I mean, yeah, sure, heavies are great. But some people seem to like to research heavies with 1/3 ref control and with only enough res to pump out 1-2 heavies.
    Wouldn't it be better in this case to research meds?
    I mean, meds are faster than heavies and are harder to hit. They're a lot cheaper, and only a little more expensive than MKIIs. They're perfect for a team with low res, from what I have gathered from playing the game so far.
    But no. I see so many commanders, with next to no res and very few refs restrict the vf until heavies, and when they finally do get heavies, we're able to pump out 1, if even that. So why does no one tend to research meds, even at low res counts?

2. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I do. doodedo doo

3. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

Ok, but more people should.

4. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

It's sometimes more reasonable to have 2 heavy tanks on the field with good drivers then 4 medium tanks with also 2 good drivers but the other drivers are just wasting them.

But there are several other reasons why not research medium tanks:
    - MKII can have the same main weapon as medium tanks. And e.g. AFV can almost have the same amount of armor. But MKII are faster, less time to research and a little bit cheaper. Also they can aim better on near targets (especially the NF medium is very bad at this).

- When both teams have enough resources you will mostly loose if you research medium tanks instead of heavies. 10 heavy tanks are just much stronger then 10 medium tanks. If we could have a higher vehicle limit without lags then maybe 15 medium tanks can counter 10 heavies.

I would like to see medium tanks more often as a tactical decision. Right now they are mostly researched when your team is already loosing and there are no resources for heavy tanks. And I think because of this, people dislike medium tanks even more, because they mostly loose with them.

To bring back medium tanks, I would remove MKII.
    Also I would give the mediums some unique features like 2 slot MG (and remove it from heavy tank) and/or grenader launcher slot.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  5. Empty

Empty Member

I get meds as BE sometimes.

MkIIs basically do everything a med can do though.

6. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Nf meds are more shit than a shit encompassed within a palace of shit ruled by the king and queen of shit.

BE meds are ok, but... heavies are awesome. I commed a game where I did exactly what you said you were confused over. I had only enough res for 1 heavy at first, a good player on my team got in and, with that one heavy, took out 5 NF MKIIs (not at once, obviously - it was usually 2v1 or 1v1). Then we got enough res for another and the same thing happened on the other side of the map (emp_homeland). NF weren't particularly worse, I think it was just a couple of vets on each team, but heavies with infantry support kills MKIIs and meds. Nuff said.

7. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

The max. additional load is another reason against medium tanks.

LT MKII 270
    AFV MKII 320
    Medium 340
    Heavy 470

Especially the gap between AFV and Medium is much too small. With the same weapons the medium can only use one or two more plates of armor.

8. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

--{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}-- Banned

I always go Mediums when I command, I sometimes go heavies as BE though - but only if I have sufficient technology(meaning Armor, Engine, MG, ML, and a Cannon).

And again - yes, I think the gap between MKIIs and Mediums is too small...

I would like MKIIs to be removed.

EDIT: Oops

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Great idea! Why use different tank models. We can use the same tank model for even more kind of tanks. So remove mediums and all other tanks and add more MKII variants:
    LT, LT MKII, LT MKIII, LT MKIV, LT ARTY, LT APC, LT JEEP, LT CV :headshot:

10. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

--{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}-- Banned

oops, I ment to say MKIIs, this happens allot when I am thinking and I insert the wrong word.

11. Empty

Empty Member

I'd be cool with it if we cut NF Meds and replaced them with 3plate 2slotML 2slotMG 2slotCN LTs.

Jus' sayin.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I've been told meds are sometimes good, so i've used them once or twice recently. I used to always go for meds before, because they'd give me a huge mid-game advantage and I usually wouldn't even get to heavies. But now...heavies heavily (lol) outclass meds and with MK II's, you don't need meds anymore.

So yeah, I don't like mkII's really. Bring on the new NF tank model, and dash out dem stupid things.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  13. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I research meds all the time. There are a lot of maps where with a certain number of players, the res flow is not enough to practically jump between early game tech and heavy tanks and still keep a suitable number of vehicles on the field.

In general, mk2's diminish the usefulness of meds, and a lot of players would like to see mk2's gone, mainly for this reason and others. In addition, a simple fix for NF meds is to give them 30 more weight and 5 plates of armor, much like the AFV has an additional plate and more weight when compared to the light tank. I hate to see the NF med go. It's definitely my favorite chassis.

I digress - meds are still good research for both teams conditionally, but definitely moreso for BE right now.

14. Empty

Empty Member

"I hate to see the NF med go. It's definitely my favorite chassis."

Wat

15. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

well, you have to admit. the nf med chassis looks pretty cool. it looks like a WWI tank

16. Empty

Empty Member

Wat.
    <fil>

17. Demented

Demented Member

And then we cut NF Heavies and replaced them with 6plate 3slotML 3slotMG 3slotCN mediums.

But then, you'd probably say 4plate 3slotML 3slotMG 3slotCN LTs would do just as well.

18. Empty

Empty Member

Well they would.

19. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

I'd rather drive a NF Lt then a NF med or heavy.

I'd rather drive a BE heavy or med then AFV.

It terms of aesthetics, BE med wins.

20. Empty

Empty Member

If the tanks were women, the jeep would be a whiny bitch.
    The apc would be retarded and ugly.
    The AFV would be socially awkward and acne ridden.
    The NF heavy would be a disturbingly obese old woman.
    The NF med would be a disturbingly obese young woman.
    The BE heavy would be a fairly hot, but muscley chick.
    The LT would be a hot 'girl next door'
    And the BE med, I'd tap that if it wasn't a woman.

(The arty tanks have aids)