Replacement Bullethole Decals

Discussion in 'Art' started by Varbles, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I made these a while ago messing around and I've been using them since. They may not be amazing but I prefer them to the stock generic bullethole. I made ones specific to concrete, dirt, and sand, with a new refractive splash for water. If you install these you don't need to back up any old ones, just delete these if you want to revert.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2644783/textures/decals.7z

This is the sheet with no alpha, I opted to use regular transparency instead of the decal modulation shader that Valve used on most of their decals.
    [​IMG]

Old generic bullethole:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The caveats with Source's bullethole decal system I've found are numerous. First of all, any surface property without a bullethole type outlined in the manifest will use the first and only the first Concrete bullethole decal. Second, there are a lot of crossovers, such as the surface properties of Rock, Boulder, and anything else like that all use the decals for Concrete. Even though there are many surface properties in the engine, the manifest can only define ones that are specially set up for it. The third caveat is that the bullethole decal used is ultimately dependent on the surface property of the material, and many materials use properties that may not reflect their exact nature (dirt property used on sand, glass instead of ice), whether intentional or not this results in sometimes the wrong decal showing up. Since Valve used the same decal for pretty much every surface they didn't have this problem.

Comments appreciated as I might remake these to be a bit better looking if people want.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

I keep reading that as "butthole"

awesome work mr varbles

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Did you do any work on those POM ones yet? Those looked nice.

4. Varbles

The POM as we have it now both doesn't support any form of alpha transparency and bugs out if it's scale is changed (decals are generally shrunk down to 1/16th area). If we had someone who knew what they were doing with the shader support for those features could be added and POM decals and bulletholes would work nicely, but as it is now it can only be used for world textures.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Can you use parallax mapping?
    They did it in F.E.A.R. and it looked sick.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

ITT Empty is blind to post he's replying to.

7. Varbles

POM = Parallax Occlusion mapping = nope

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

great now that starts happening to me aswell ...