Replace Binoculars With Tracking Beacon

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by urethra franklin, Apr 21, 2013.

1. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Binoculars are extremely underused because they are inconvenient and annoying and the target dissapears after a second or two anyway, so if there was a dart gun that left permanent tracking beacons on buildings and vehicles (maybe not the cv) that gives a small debuff to the target to take more damage, and also a permanent minimap icon until destroyed I feel it would give scouts something to do other than sab/drag the rest of the team down by sniping/be a downgraded rifleman.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

wait if you give arty target on cv it doesnt stay visible on the minimap for 2 minutes (or smthg like that) anymore?

3. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

It's probably around 30 seconds to a minute, maybe I'm wrong though.

4. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

I made a suggestion similar to this about three years ago, and I still think that it's a fundamentally good idea that marking a target with the scout binoculars gives a permanent and noticeable debuff to the target in question. (Maybe 15% more damage taken or something, for example).

The issue, of course, is if the scout were to simply mark the ENTIRE enemy team with beacons, such that having an effective scout would become far too expected or central to the metagame. Whilst it would certainly be nice to see more people play scout more effectively, having to rely on the scout for damage buffs would be a bit ridiculous. If this were to be implemented, it would be nice if the scout could only thence mark or debuff one target at a time.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The debuff is a bad idea but there is a plan to add a more comprehensive marking system.

6. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

It would have ammo/reload time limitations and wouldn't be any damage in itself, also what's wrong with the scout being part of the metagame? Are engineer and grenadier the only classes allowed to be relevant?

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

dont pick sniper rifle and you automatically become relevant by having no other option than sticking around your team ;)

edit:
    well you have other options but they dont make much sense - a solo scout cannot win the game (reliably, by chance you can).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  8. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

Because an unlimited debuff possibilities could artificially force every team to simply have one scout whose primary (and only job) is to continually mark infantry/vehicles/buildings with the binoculars. It would be boring as fuck to play as that scout, and yet if the other team had one scout who spent his time doing that constantly, it would be very easy for one side or another to get outclassed.

Either that, or the scout debuff will be inconsequential enough to the point where nothing would happen anyways, except that another person should waste team slots by going scout again.

9. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

I hate playing as grenadier and they are far more necessary than a debuff spammer would be so obviously grenadier is a terrible idea.

10. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

Actually, no, because walls en masse stop vehicles, both riflemen and scouts can sticky them, and I don't see why the idea of countering enemy vehicles with vehicles of your own is so unintuitive.

11. ‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder

‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder Member

What?! You hate playing gren? It's thee most skillful, fun, and rewarding class in the game. If somehow I could never play gren again I would immediately uninstall.