Repair pad GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Melee, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Melee

Melee Member

ok so you got a heavy tank with armour and engine upgrade but poor weapons and after some fighting the comm gets he or rail so you plod off to the repair pad to get ya uber weapons.
    What bugs me is WHY if I only change the weapons do I have to wait for a full armour rebuild and time wasted.......
    sometimes if we have the rez Its easier jus to go to VF and make a new Heavy, leaving the old one for the noobs to play with, not very team friendly but the amount of time it takes to get ur repair upgrade means you can lose the game siiting on pad and watchin ur CV get attacked.............?

Can it be changed so only the upgrade you ask for is implemented?

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

yeah, that whole thing needs some work. The uehical Customization screen should Come up, not the whole Menu

And if you Change your guns you Should have to restock your ammo only

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

avair's suggestion:

change armour: armour starts at 0
    change weapons: ammo starts at 0
    both: both start at 0

4. Reef

Reef Member

My addon to the suggestion:
    change engine: engine is overheated at the moment of mounting it, so You must wait until it cools down before shooting

5. Andariel

Andariel Member

i approve of these if i havent had to wait to get back into action we could had either lost less bad or even changed the whole outcome

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

A lot of elements currently reset things, rather than updating them, to stop you from exploiting it,

So if you have 50% engineer kit ammo, when you get an upgrade through the change class menu, you start at 0% of your engineer kit ammo, instead of just remembering how much you had. This was done to stop people from exploiting to get full ammo.

Same with customizing tanks, it removes all your plates to stop your from insta repairing by just changing a small detail.

I bet theres a few more of these anti-exploit features into place that really just gimp you in average use.

I suggest that it remembers how much engi kit ammo and how much plates you had when using the vgui to change something about either your tank or your class. Can't exploit it and it doesn't cause major annoyances.

Example of annoying cases that really shouldn't happen:

- Had full engineer kit ammo, squad leader finally unlocked the squad so you could join and get your free skill, you change class to get a skill and bam gone engi kit ammo.

- Base is being stormed by tanks, commander finally got HE right after you drove your undamaged tank out of the vf, you get your med on the repair station, put HE on it, and right after you press accept a lucky enemy med tank gets 2 HE shots on you and bam you're dead, while you had full armor just a second ago.

This stuff happens too often and there is no reason for it, let it update what you had just like your ammo stays the same after you are revived.

If people want to waste resources to get a full clip of ammunition, let them do it, restocking doesn't take very long, it could be considered as a tactic to unequip and reequip a weapon to restock ammunition a few seconds quicker, wouldn't harm anyone.

If an engineer has 100% kit ammo, then gets repair upgrade, it doesn't need to go back to 0% either, you can only get the skill once, switching skills like this at an armory isn't an exploit, if you don't use the ammo and only want to use it with repair upgrade, fine go ahead. If nobody understood what I ment with the last part, somebody takes revive, then whenever he wants to build he quickly changes skill to repair upgrade, but this would still require him to have 100% engi kit ammo, I don't see a problem with that. If that is considered exploiting (how about camping on the flag and just pressing b -> accept to get stock ammo?) then only remove all engi kit ammo when skill is changed to repair upgrade.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  7. Bademeister

Bademeister Member

I agree 100%, you should be able to keep the stuff you had (like being reset to default ammo after getting skill is painful for grens when you had 10 rockets, 20 mortar shells, etc.).

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I know my punctuation is teh lose, but with a bit of effort you can understand the awesome that it is. :D :p

9. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

I agree as well; While it isn't 'realistic', if you change armor types/amounts, the damage to the current armor should transfer to the new armor, while ammo for new weapons should change to the default one-third. That will stop any 'instarepair' exploits, while still protecting you from a grenadier taking advantage of the current 'zeroarmor' exploit and taking you out the instant you clear the pad.

10. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Even if it is insta repair, that would give commanders more incentive to build forward repair factories.

I also think the repair pad should repair the CV

11. Andariel

Andariel Member

actually that is a thing against as that i fully understand that it wouldnt be a very wise design decision to let the cv be able to camp there and take some more hits securely

12. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

Something else that just occurred to me. Wouldn't it be handy if you could drive a vehicle into a repair bay or VF and recycle it?

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

@ dizzy:

i agree with the "remember instead of punish", though there is one situation where that can't quite be used:

upgrading engy tool from standard to improved repair upgrade/revive. That means that you could go from having 200pnts repair capability to 400pnts repair capability instantly

i.e: if you upgrade from standard to improved repair upgrade, your engineer tool ammo should half.

if you pick the revive skill, you should certainly reset to zero, or you could just instantly change, instantly revive and instantly change back whenever you're near a barracks, and that sort of hacky gameplay shouldn't be encoraged really.

14. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

Additional annoyance: Explaining to new people how to customize their tanks at the repair pad. It would make sense to add a little screen onto the repair pad model (like in the VF) that would bring up the customization menu. Most people don't know that you can just press "v" in the VF to create vehicles.

(I also agree with what Dizzy and Sandbag have submitted, and DeadlyDad's suggestion makes sense too)

15. Klaste

Klaste Member

One further annoyance: You're later in the game, you're recustomizing a heavy tank with composite, the game's a close one, and you're low on res. All the more important that you customize instead of buy a new one. However, regardless of how small the change is (HE to Rails, less than a 200 res difference), you can't customize it unless your team has the total resouce cost for your tank. You have any idea how annoying this is, especially when people keep buying tanks lower than the cost of your tank, even though when you customize, they'd still be able to afford theirs? I think this is pretty major, and something needs to be done. Maybe a seperate screen for just recustomizing? That might solve a couple other issues, anyways.

16. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

Ouch! That is a major problem, and should be looked at. Devs?

17. Reef

Reef Member

As for now, switching a gun on a heavy composite tank with repairing time included, takes MUCH more time than switching the same gun on heavy with regen armour (less plates). Am I right? Why should be it like that? :)

I agree, that it's a major bug that stops You from changing Your gear when Your team doesn't have enough resources to buy a whole tank. shouldn't we report it to bugs@empiresmod.com?

I still think that changing a gun should zero-out Your ammo so You must load it again. Also, if You change armour _type_, Your armour should be fully damaged.
    Changing fully repaired standard armour to fully repaired composite instantly is undesired. Can You imagine a process of changing armour that fast? No, You need to do it plate by plate. That is how it should be done.
    If You got 3 guns and You change one of them, only one of them should become empty (it's hard to code I think, but if we simplify it so moving a gun counts as changing it, it's easier).
    And engine should be stalled on mounting, not overheated (so bio-diesel allows You to move but doesn't allow You to shoot).

18. Andariel

Andariel Member

i really like the recycle idea, then i wouldnt be anymore able to see my tank history at the nearest vf as the chassis size increases (i already ahve seen for voer a hour my vehicles from my engineer taxi to the medium tank, once even my heavy didn't got used as i switched up to artillery)

what about allowing to reduce the price of the vehicle you're buying next when you recycle your tank inside the vf? kinda like a refit on the repairpad but that even the chassis can be changed

that with the price for the refit needs surely be looked at, sometimes it costs the difference sometimes the full prize

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008