Rename skills

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by urethra franklin, Jan 31, 2013.

1. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Skills right now lack personality and flavor, I propose naming them things based on the nanotech/bioengineering backgrounds of the two factions.

Ex: instead of health upgrade it could be called something like bone density enhancement for NF and nanite exoskeleton for BE

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Nigga' wut?

3. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

What's wrong with this? It has no gameplay implications but it would make the factions feel way more unique.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Paradoxically, it does have gameplay implications because it makes the skill system more confusing for new players. We have enough trouble just getting players to figure out how to add new skills (thank god for the auto-assign feature in 2.4).

5. Reznov

Reznov Member

Speed upgrade = MAXIMUM Speed
    Dig in upgrade = MAXIMUM Armor
    Hide upgrade = MAXIMUM Stealth
    Melee upgrade = MAXIMUM Power

ontopic: Just no.

6. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

What's a description paragraph?

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Because nothing helps people more than getting weird names on stuff so people don't understand what they do!

8. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Yep I agree with spartacus. Adds immersion but is more than counter acted by making the game harder to understand for no reason

9. Candles

Something most people never read. Have you ever even taken a good look at the description for defusal? "Mines cannot detect you for detonation, and you can disable mines by crouching on top of one, looking at it, and holding the 'use' key." It's bad English and people *still* don't know how to defuse mines.

10. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

So thats how you do it...

11. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Just blindly going against my suggestions based on my other suggestions then?

Ok.

12. Candles

No, I'm noting the fact that people don't read the damn descriptions. Or else people wouldn't be asking all the time how to defuse mines in the game. And people would be pointing out left and right how badly it's written if people read the descriptions.

If you're taking it as a personal insult, then that's an issue on your part for blindly assuming that I'm trying to insult you.

13. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Sorry, you telling me how to defuse mines sounds like it's a reference to a different thread I've made.

And if you don't read descriptions when you're confused about what something does then you're too stupid to know.

14. Urknall

Urknall Member

Sparta, you have my vote!

By the way: Every good game has no or few guidelines because they are intuitive and easy to understand. Keep it simple!

Furthermore I like Reznov idea:

15. Reznov

Reznov Member

16. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

He's parodying Crysis.

17. Urknall

Urknall Member

Oh, I do not have this game...

18. OuNin

OuNin Member

all brenodi skills are nanomachines

19. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I actually tweaked a lot of the descriptions at some stage during 2.x. Believe me, they were far worse then (and I think someone else has fixed them since). Used to have terrible grammar then the same words would be spelt differently several different times in the one description :/ Meanwhile other descriptions had tonnes of worthless text.

If you want the descriptions changed then can I suggest making a post in the suggestions forum with a writeup of all the changes that you would make, or better yet, an attachment of steam/steamapps/common/empires/empires/scripts and the file is emp_skills.txt

Also feel free to do the rest of the description files that appear as part of the GUI.

Reminder for myself (its late and im tired): Try shortcuts such as "%emp_show_vehicle_customization%" to see if this will work for "use" command in grenadier defusal description. %command% values relate directly to cvars listed in emp_control_menu script file. Command should then be %+use% (although its probably likely this wont be coded in the same way as the hints)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  20. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

This doesnt work, presumably it would need code support which seems a bit pointless for something so minor. Im guessing your not too keen on editing those skill descriptions candles?