Remove Spectator Team?

Discussion in 'General' started by Castrol GTX, May 25, 2010.

1. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

So I want to hear the arguments for keeping the spec team. I'm really just sick of seeing a teams worth of people sitting in spectator.

My two reasons for ever joining spec are to skip a map, or to ragequit and wait for the round to end.

I have the feeling that people join spectate to chat with their empnoob friends, but since they can do that outside of the game, they also want to jump in the game when they want to do something ghost-like.

How about this for consideration instead of removing entirely: How about a plugin that forces a random spectator to join a team whenever the server capacity comes within 2 slots of the limit.

2. Opie

Opie Member

You almost nailed it. The plugin should KICK a random spec when the server is full.

I doubt you will get much support for fixing the spec problem tho.

3. meg griffin

meg griffin Member

Keep spec.. that is where I get my empires daily news...

I like the idea of kicking or forcing specs into the game when the server capacity reaches some limit...

hmm. however, what happens if you join, and one team is massacring the other one, a bunch of people from the losing team are rage quitting, they have no tickets or rax and you cant join the winning team because of the autobalancing? That happens often...

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  4. Visorak06

Visorak06 Member

Why would you want to join the winning team if it's that big of a landslide? One should at least try to help the losing force turn it around. Even if it will result in a loss for you almost always, it's still worth the effort and helps to stabilize gameplay. I'd rather join a team that was losing and put up an honest effort to try and level the playing field than steamroll them and get no satisfaction from it.

5. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

After commanding several intense maps in a row, I need a round off.
    For the most part, I dont like to join a game unless it just started.

Not going to enjoy being forced into a team or off the server if I am waiting for a new round or am trying to take a round off.

6. TBob

TBob Member

This sounds like a great idea for killing Empires.

I say we implement it.

7. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

SourceTV.
    /thread

8. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

kill the heretic!

9. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Being forced off a full server is something that you see in any other game. It doesn't matter if you enjoy it, at that point you're blocking real players for nothing. Its not a radical idea.

How about SourceTV and no spec team. That way if you really want to spectate you can, and chat over ventrilo or w/e. I know I'm being facetious, I just want somebody to admit that they just want to teamstack.

10. Deiform

Deiform Member

Considering a large part of the 'community' part of the mod is based on sitting in spec and talking to each other, I don't really see why the spec team should ever be changed. If anything, improvements could be made to make specs have an easier time speccing.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Spec needs to be integrated into the game somehow. I was saying earlier that the reason I spec at least, is because a lot of the game is very intensive and after commanding for a while I don't want to play immediately.

Some maps I spec all the way through, i'll admit. And if i'm on late on a server sometimes i'm just hanging around...but I check a lot to see if the server is maxed out and if it is, I either join or leave.

12. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

ummm there is a server cvar that will force players to auto-assign and there's one to close the spectator team......

like Tbob said, lets kill empires!

13. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

^This^

14. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

An auto afk kick activated when a server is full is somewhat more usefull then REMOVING SPECTATORS FTW !!!! :mad:
    Spectator mode is essential for empires, kill speccing and you halve the empires community in an instant (the results will show after some weeks, but you would see it, I'm quit certain)

/another idea: How about setting 2 different max player limits? 1 for players and 1 for players+speccers (like 60 players;80 all, instead of 64 for all)
    Since speccers don't really need to send data beside chat/voice there should be no prob with the data traffic?

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  15. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

But....what about all the nice times we've had in spec? :(

16. REX

REX Member

add a second spec team that can spec on the first one

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Allow 100 spectatos on a server and but dont let them move around.

18. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Make the spec team a third faction with the ability to build pretty fortresses

19. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

20. recon

recon SM Support Dev

How meta. The number of spectator teams would then be S= ∞.

Last edited: May 26, 2010