Reflective armor and explosions

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sheepe, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I don't think I know of anyone who uses reflective armor (doesn't it deflect shells that arn't at 90* to it?), so to make it more useful, I suggest making it so that it suffers far less damage from indirect explosions, ex: an arty shell 15ft away.

-Sheepe

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

That's absorbant armour.

3. OutlawFurey

OutlawFurey Member

the most damaging part of the explosions aren't the shrapnel, but the shockwave due to the airpressure. Absorbant armor is built to withstand that stuff.

4. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

oh okay, I got that part wrong then...

-Sheepe

5. SGT. MIKE

SGT. MIKE <blink>BANNED</blink>

6. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

e

- I had to write this because of stupid post laws

7. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

uh... what?

-Sheepe

8. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

so waht exactly do all the diff armors do...or is it in the manual?

9. Deiform

Deiform Member

In note form:

Composite - Weak, cheap, mostly the first armour you get unless the comm decides to go reactive.

Reactive - Amazing, much better armour than composite.

Regenerative - Heals itself (amazing that isn't it)

Absorbant - Absorbs some of the damage (i.e. does less damage to the vehicle)

Reflective - Reflects shells that are not perpendicular to it.

The last 3 armours are almost never researched unless you are in a really long game. Did I miss one?

10. ANGRY Shaved Whale

ANGRY Shaved Whale Member

arg... you do not play out on alot of servers.... I go chem first so i can get the best engine in the game, and while i am there i will get the armor. the reason I do this, is to get the engine and armor; but also when uncle artil comes along I can HE much faster.

11. zachtos

zachtos Member

Armor Guide

Deiform: you are missing alot and are not well informed. NO ARMOR IS BETTER THEN ANOTHER. They are all different. Each has it's own unique application. Some armors may appear better then another, but keep in mind some cost more or take much longer to aquire, thus early game some armors may get the edge. Each is strong to one type of weapon and weak to another. Some cause you to strip away layers due to weight, which can make them worse. Keep all this in mind.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

cant we have the basic info about the armors as it is scripted into the game?

like howmutch hp armor X has and howmutch it costs (total like reseach inclusive) etc???

then i can do some calculating on deciding for what vehicle what armor is "more usefull"

13. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

does the second armour slot actually do anything?

14. zachtos

zachtos Member

second armor slot does NOTHING right now except make tanks heavier and more expensive. The coding is incomplete for now.

if you want actual numbers for the armor modifiers etc, then open the scripts folder in your source/mods/empires/script directory. vehicle_armor.txt etc.

I updated the link to the wiki I created in the past, you can get a rough overview of armors there. I also know a great deal about engines, but didnt post a thread on those either. I will wait until they are revised again. I did talk about good engine combos briefly in the armor guide though.

15. Deiform

Deiform Member

:eek: Turns out I was mis-informed about the composite armour and rective armour. Tbh, ingame it seemed to help more if you had reactive rather than composite, but then again, nowadays we don't seem to even get a radar up before a team wins.

Must be real fun .:FB:. and [BSID] teaming together on BE and winning in five minutes on every map. As soon as the skillbased auto assign is set up, the better.

16. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

composite allows you to carry more weapons

because turrets and better tanks are in the same tech as reactive and composite thats why you see them the most. I usually get flamed aswell trying to go for something else like reflective or absorbant because people dont want risks, they wanna win :P
    But yeh the only one I would never go for first would be regenerative and bio because imo they just dont go well with the start of the game as in afvs vs light tanks. They are still very good in some cases, but id rather have the shitty tanks rush like hell and stand their ground till they die instead of staying behind like a pussy and missing every shot or hit and run and die on their way out.

Another reason is because engineers can repair armor a lot faster and coming to a standstill by damage or overheat and dying because of it, or means you went in to deep, or you had no backup or you have no idea wth it is that you are doing or it was a trap/bad luck. All cases Id rather not invest the first 3 mins of research to most of the time.

Going for something different usually ends up in a debate that costs that game and the next game and lots of "noob" and ppl ejecting you and other trying to tell you what you are supposed to research and stop actually doing their job on the field.
    But going for any armor in any tech first and then deciding to go for better tanks or turrets never takes aslong as people think, except when they are really unpatient, like some people (*looks at a few ppl on this forum :P)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  17. zachtos

zachtos Member

I have a wide variety of strategies for this. But one strategy is consistent. Engine then armor FIRST always before anything else. From then on I may go for better APC MGs or go straight to med/he/arty.

some combos I enjoy.

-comp/gas: standard pub nub will get this everytime

-absorbant/biodiesel: this is by FAR FAR my favorite strategy. You can take sustained cannon fire and missle fire AND still manuver very well because you will not stall on damage. This combo should allow you to outlast any comp/gas pub nub. There are counters to this tank obviously. but I'm not giving them away.

-arty w/ regen armor: if you get hit by a stray missle when sieging farms, you dont need to hop out, just back out of range and fire away while your panel repairs itself.

-reflective/fission: works great for quickly rotating to an angle in a fight, often you will take 0 dmg on the proper angles.

-3phase and bio warheads: rush the enemy CV, sting him and get out of there. often in pubs, they dont realize the comm is going to take 300 some damage. the next time you come back, you can unload on the comm and usually kill him w/ the poison.

-reactive/coolant: a good comprimise of anti cannon and missle, can fire for a long time and should outlast most composite tanks

18. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

YOINK! Thank god for this thread...

-Sheepe

19. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I started doing regenerative and bio first the last few days, and I have to take it back, altho I havent had much real games where both teams were good, Id have to say that on most maps starting off with bio and regenerative could actually be a good idea because you can get them both very fast and, regenerative isnt expensive and you can carry a missile a cannon and a mg with afv or light tank. and not having to get out to repair si always a plus :).

20. zachtos

zachtos Member

like i mentioned in the guide: (for now) regen is average overall. BUT, since you can get it so fast, it really can push the game in your favor early on. But late game it tends to not do so hot in all aplications. It is very great for the occasional accidental ML that hits you or a rogue rocket. It doesnt repair past the hull remember, it's a great hit and run tank, such as for APCs and artillery in most cases. Can be good w/ certain applications w/ 3phase tanks or fission tanks.