Red Orchestra Trial

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Empires Noob, Aug 29, 2007.

1. KILLX

KILLX Banned

the tank combat is the best i have experienced in any game period, even Empires

/me cowers from the angry Empires mob

2. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I liked Battlefield 2 tank combat more.

3. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

whoever shoots first, wins?

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Half of all cannon shots bounce off? Infantry anti-tank weapons don't do shit?

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i think emp has the best tank combat.. its more fun.. first you get to customize your tank and 2nd you dont just get instantly killed by a jet (bf2)

the only thing that sucks is the overheating.. like the plasma mg.. thats the only gay thing about empires tanks... its like watching a loading screen

6. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

from what killx explained to me, the reason he liked tank combat was because of the level of realism involved (at least in tanks). That is, he liked the fact that an entire crew was needed to man these things-- a driver, a gunner, etc., and the teamwork this situation fostered was very rewarding. He also stated that the ability to choose between your cannon shells was fun (and you could do so right away with multiple shells at your disposal), and you had multiple views in the tank, and the best view made you exposed to enemy fire (sticking your head out the window).

This may be all well and good for realistic games, and I'm sure that RO is fun for that aspect, but all of you can come up with reasons why these ideas would fail horribly in empires. (especially the multiple ppl operating a tank-- we can't even agree on turret rotation, for pete's sake!) Bottom line, from what he described of it, the fun is in the realism, which is not exactly what empires is known for.

Also, to counter one statement, you can change between shells in empires-- just put two different types of cannons in the thing and switch between them using controls. However, you can't do this at the start as you can in RO b/c of the research involved.

The viewpoint thing is probably not an issue if infantry anti-tank is useless: it doesn't matter if you're exposed, they're not going to kill you. But in empires... well, we all know what happens to the turret passenger.

I never played, because I was too lazy to do so until the free trial was over (oops!) I can't help it, Killx told me to play halfway through.

7. ^Dee^

the tanks are the least realistic aspect of ROO and you never need a crew to operate a tank. Even if you did, you'd still need the driver to stop to get useful shots on. Something you could more efficiently do by yourself :P

8. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

That's exactly what I did during the one day I had it installed, couldn't hit a damn thing though :p . The zoom feature on the tank was neat though. One man tank crew FTW!

9. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

I did a fairly decent job of being a tank crew, but the Russian Anti Tank rifle doesn't do shit. I fired about 7 - 10 shots into a halftrack's track, and it lived.

Also, It is possible to easily cap points by rushing into the enemy base with people carriers.

10. Empires Noob

Empires Noob Member

If you want to kill something with the PTRD you need to hit the ammo storage or the engine.

11. KILLX

KILLX Banned

I spammed you on XFIRE to get it, about 20 times daily, starting the morning after it started

12. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

You think tank combat sucks on RO becuase you suck x.x... About 40% of experienced tank combatants have both driver and combatant positions filled. Sitting miles away from your target fighting a "ooh look at the pretty shell bounce off" battle isn't very effective. Its much more fun to charge those sad little one manned tanks with shells bouncing off your front armor and place a well aimed shot right in the back of his tank. When I play with my brother online we keep the tanks turret facing backwards half the time.

I usually like realistic shooters, but not the case in RO. The infantry firefights just arn't fun sence the update.

13. ^Dee^

no they aren't. Nobody is ever crewing a tank unless it's one of those maps where you only get one or two tanks.