Recode melee. Completely

Discussion in 'Implemented' started by Roflcopter Rego, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Melee is more broken than Youzy's mum after jumping out of a plane with rollerskates and no parachute. It has fundamentally flawed mechanics in the code that make it, erratic, abusable, exploitable and irritaiting. This may not need a complete recode, but I suspect that it does.

Pros:
    End of ping/connection exploiting melee whores
    End of godawful hit detection
    End of ridiculous melee bouts where the winner is based on ping and luck
    Begginging of ridiculous melee bouts based on actual skill.

Cons:
    None, but people will almost certainly complain.

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

AGREED!
    And after that's done, make melee interrupt reload animations !!

Ok ok ok, ... yes i agree with Sir Roflcopter Rego that this investment of time and resources would be beneficial in the long run. Perhaps this is also the perfect chance to fix the reload animations not being interrupted by the melee action which has plagued this marvelous game since the beginning.

3. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Agreed.

4. communism

communism poof

Agreed
    Although I kind of like how melee is one of the hardest things to master

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

its all luck.. some people have more than others it seems. I can hit someone point blank with melee upgrade like 3 times with blood coming out and on his screen i never hit him.. Then someone like mashav kills me in one hit when on my screen he was at least 5 feet away when I died.

Its stupid.. Wouldn't the melee fix also include fixing the hit boxes on the players?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  6. Demented

Demented Member

I have to lead my target when meleeing. Given the tight turning radius, erratic movement, and short reach of your arm, combined with the knowledge that your opponent sees himself as being closer to you than vice versa, and it's better to just spam until someone dies.

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I fing HATE melee. I hate mashav because he just scunts with melee + hide/squad hide + speed upgrade + stamina + melee upgrade and rapes like 4-8 ppl in a row... its fucking retarded.

8. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

me supportz.

9. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Support! Maybe this is all 2.25 should be?

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah I agree...I never use melee purely because it's so erratic.

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Melee is really fucked up. You have to be truely skilled to get kills with it, and even then there's a degree of luck involved. Melee whores such as myself, Pdezzi, Mashav etc can all vouch for that. It desperately needs fixing.

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I just flail madly at the player when I'm next to them, it usually works, sometimes it doesn't work at all, I'd say it's 90% luck 10% being able to run at people hitting mouse2.

13. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

so is melee somehow fixed now? seems to be broken as it ever was. i red some posts in other threads that melee is dependant on ping, thats not true, melee can be done much better then in empires, seen in battle grounds 2

14. Empty

Empty Member

Lemme just get our coders straight on it and off things such as bug fixing, removing exploits (such as DDoSing) and a steam release.

15. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I'm not the authority on this, but I do believe that actually we have good coders who could do such a thing as this in the blink of an eye.

16. OuNin

OuNin Member

I agree with trickster, but I think that it's fine. It takes time to develop stronger kung fu.

@empty:

things people post in the suggestion forum are completely independent of dealing with bugs, DDoS, and working on the steam release. it is not like the suggestion forum is directly queued to the coders' immediate tasks. stop treating suggestions as such. additionally, you are not an active coder on the team, please stop speaking for them.

17. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

might require another animation but.. have melee attack and block attack. so if i was fighting mashav who is trying to melee me .. if he melees me and i block it at the right time it would knock back mashav, mashav would stun for like 1 second, giving me oppurtunity to melee him and fight back. for buttons it would be right click for block, and double right click for melee. this would add a level of complexity for the melee system.

of course most of the time, im the recieving end when mashav rapes me from behind, so its pretty much a moot suggestion on my part.

18. Empty

Empty Member

you're not.
    Client/Server prediction is hard. Fixing melee is hard. It's not going to be a 5 minute job.

19. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

i didn't mean it wasnt hard, i just meant we have people who are definitely capable of doing it properly

20. vlamnire

vlamnire Member

Melee does need some attention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.