Realism Speech?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Private Sandbag, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Ok, this is and idea, and just an idea that would add realism in a way that may not make the game more positive, but could help:

speaking to your team (not generally, because generally people want to chat)-

things spoken are only heard within a close radius,
    - unless you are looking at a scout /or/ engineer, (which ever class it should be chosen for). then it can be broadcast to everyone, as it is normally.
    -you can also broadcast to everyone if you are in the radar
    -or the commander
    -and the commander can always hear what is said, as i imagine there are headsets in everyone's helmets.
    -enemies can also pick up stuff said locally
    -by stuff "said", i mean things typed or spoken through headset. the same would apply to both.

-------------------------------------------
    although this could be quite a neat feature, we also don't want anything that limits the possible amount of tactical chatter in teams. perhaps:

-stuff said can always be heard by all of your teammates,
    -but enemies can pick it up if they are nearby. thus the need to be "quiet" at times, or say things like "shh, i hear one coming."??

2. Jimather

Jimather Member

A much simpler way to implement something similar which would achieve pretty much the same thing, would be to allow enemy units within a certain radius of you (same as the current radio menu speech audibillity) to hear your microphone broadcast only. not incoming transmissions.

so he would only be able to hear what the guy he was right next to said into his mic, not incoming transmissions which would only be audible in the dudes headset.

you can always silently communicate through chat and you cant hear someone talking inside a vehicle. or when you are sat inside a vehicle.

this setup would create so many cool gameplay options such as an actual reason to scout rather than snipe, the need (for advanced teams anyway) to have codewords and a reason to occassionally move into 'silent mode' with your squad and more and more.

3. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

That would be a cool option, I think it was already done before, I think in Halo 2... or somewhere else, it actualy prooved very usefull to Spy on the other teams chat, that would allow you to actualy "Ambush" that apc or convoy...

4. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I honestly don't think that people are going to bother doing this. Most of the actual talk during a game isn't anything that would help anybody in the first place, and getting in close enough on big open maps and staying in range would be a total bitch. I honestly don't see any motivation to take advantage of this. It seems... Gimmicky.

Now, if you could hack into the enemy radar and hear all of their conversation, as well as see certain units on the map... That could be worth it.

5. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Don't forget that clans use ventrillo and T-Speak, this function wouldn't affect them.