Real Adventures

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hendar23, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Do you just fucking hate it when people refer to, I dunno, something like white water rafting as a 'real adventure'. Like, WTF? If it doesn't involve a gunfight, a car chase or a fist-fight with a henchman ontop of a fucking burning zeppelin then ITS NOT A FUCKING ADVENTURE. It's not an adventure if you book it online and follow a guide on a pre-planned schedule. Trekking to the North Pole is not an adventure, unless the reason you are going there is to destroy a Nazi secret base where they are building a superweapon and/or planning to resurrect Hitler. Get it?

Going into a dangerous situation for your own amusement is not an adventure. Being woken in the middle of the night by a dying old man who warns you must stop the Order from uniting the Seven Seals before the full moon or All Is Lost before tearing around downtown in a stolen police car being followed by mysterious gunmen in creepy black cars in a desperate fucking race against time? And at least one helicopter is destroyed that day. Thats a fucking adventure.

So next time I google 'real adventures' I want to see www.adventurersfirehire.com I want to click on that shit and see:
    Have Nazi's stolen your Ancient Artifact of Power? Discovered a portal to another dimension in your basement? Town being overrun by undead horrors? Has you corporations secret medical experiments just got out of hand? Call us today!

2. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

Whats the difference? Anyway, you'll die in a kitchen killed by falling can of coffe or something.

3. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Then at least I'll die with my boots on, damnit!

4. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I don't think I have ever heard anybody use the word 'adventure' in a sentence when talking to me unless we were either discussing 'action adventure' genre games.

6. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

How can you know that?
    Maybe you will be straight out of shower?

7. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Real adventures don't have a save game option.

8. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

lol true. In fact, if anything did, then game designers wouldn't be doing their job!

I actually know of one person who had a real adventure. This girl I met was doing aid work someplace. On the way their she was stopped by border guards, threatened at gunpoint and bribed her way out. She then got the next country with no money or valuables whatsoever except for travelers checks. So she used her local knowldge to make contacts with the local mafia (waaay more scary than the crazy border guards, but more polite :P) in order to convert checks into US cash (local currency worthless). Anyhoo the full story would take pages. Point is, she is a crazy badass chick, and she was their for a good cause, not just looking for an interesting vacation.

9. Empty

Empty Member

My favourite bit was how "All Is Lost" was capitalised.

10. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

The problem with real adventures is that most likely end in death for the adventurer. Not so great.

11. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Ah, but without the possibility of death, there is no adventure!

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Sky diving was more fun than any game I ever played.

Having sex in public areas.

Driving around with my friend Jessie with a pistol in a stolen car looking to kill some 6'7 nigger we got into a fight with earlier.

Doin acid at a mars volta/system of a down concert.

Rave on ecstasy and knocking some faggot out for talking shit.

Sideshows in Oakland with races and shutting down freeways doing donuts and having hundreds of cars running from the cops all at once.

I could go on. Video games are just time killers and rarely exciting.. Well ever since they got rid of 9-mine ninjas..

13. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

dude you are such a badass

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I'm not trying to brag just encourage people to get out and live life instead of rely on games for entertainment. Real life is much much better than any game. You can't live with out risking life.

15. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

That sounds like the last words of a Darwin Award's winner.

16. communism

communism poof

Gonna have to agree with dubster

My heart got pumping everytime I was laying down those 8 mines... ;P

17. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I got bored of doing that kinda thing for myself. (Can't say I've ever tried to shoot a 'nigger' though...) I'd just like to be in a car chase for a good reason. Not just for the thrill alone, y'know?

18. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

how about life's not worth living if you don't take risks. I'm not saying do stupid shit. Just don't be agoraphobic and rely on video games for entertainment. The song incubus - the warmth. "not everyone out there is that fucked up and cold"

Adventures are out there waiting for you.

19. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I'm sure the billions of people who never had a "true adventure" in their lives are really regretting it right about now.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

If your sarcastically saying that then I would say if they ever had just one adventure they would really regret not to have had more.

Natural highs are the best ones.