Rax teleporting

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Deadpool, Mar 29, 2009.

?

killspawning =

1. LAME

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. useful and makes sense

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  1. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

I think killspawning is LAAAAAME, does anyone agree with me?

so many tactics involve killspawning, and seem cheap and broken

how bout if you could teleport between rax? I dont mean in a cheesy sci fi way that would be out of place in empires, but just as a gameplay mechanic.

this way you can still "killspawn to ninja rax/apc/burger king" but you have to get to a barracks first.

I suppose this could be done by removing the kill command from console, and having emp_unstuck added to the controls menu.

edit: yeah Im pretty sure I semi-stole this from somewhere in another thread, apologies to whoever.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

But the problem is, that you need kill not only for tactical issues. Emp_unstuck does not allways help (for example I trapped myself once in BE repair pad).

3. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Kill is necassary in case you do get properly fuxed. also unstuck doesn't work if you get revived out of the map or something.

There would be nothing wrong with something that allowed you to port between raxes. Just like you can change class now, you change rax. simples.

Also killspawn is lame but makes a lot of tactical sense.

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Remember the maintenance tunnels? I know someones got a picture of them. Basically they were underground tunnels that would take you from one rax to another. I forget the reasoning but they were never used or removed.

If you want to teleport from one side of the map to another it should at least cost 1 ticket.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you cant cut displacements, so its impossible to get trough them and inside the tunnel

also its very un-smart to implement, since it would mean displacements that are hollow

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Displacements are meshes with no thickness, they are already 'hollow' as you put it, to be precise they have no interior at all, only an exterior set of zero thickness faces, unlike ordinary brushes the collisions do not extend within the brush.

The only problem is you can't cut them, as you said, but if there were some way to get through the surface geometry you could quite easily ensure there is enough space underground to tunnel.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the problem is not that there is not enough space, the problem would be that the space needs to be rendered... a whole lot of useful space besides for having those models float in

hollow displacements are a mapping term for displacement obstacles with no "nodraw" brushes in them to block visibility, or in other words displacements with lots of "open space" unaccessible below, the tunnels would make this a mapping requirement, and it would make maps even harder to optimize if not plain impossible

8. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

tunnels have been thrown out for good reason, but those reasons were mapping related not gameplay reasons. therefore allowing rax teleporting would be in ther spirit of tunnels, which as i said were originally planned.

9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

just imagine tunnels, transportation is too fast for seeing anything anyway ... also tunnels wouldnt make you faster - mean they wouldnt be a good substitution for killspawning :P

also plz, rax teleproting shouldnt take tickets ...

10. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

the poll is showing a split, people think that it's lame, and that it's useful. so, maybe it is just that - lame but useful.

for me, it's just a question of realism (i know i said it) - yeah, 'fuck realism' and all that, but I have never seen another game that promotes killing yourself in order to win. to me, it pulls me out of the game, and every time i see 4 or 5 people killspawn i just roll my eyes and go "well, shit."

it's also recognizable when a team does it. you know they are killspawning. If some sort of time delay teleport (with the already established tunnels to explain it) between raxes was added, "killspawning" as a tactic would still work, just without the "kill" part.

so - no obvious spam of guys offing themselves, for more stealthy strikes, and no more killing yourself, which is just a backwards thing to do in any game other than suicide survival imo.

11. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Give each rax its own "tunnel" (pit with a ladder and a black texture).
    Press E in front of the tunnel. Spawn-map opens.
    Click on the desired spawnpoint, click on some kind of confirm-thingy, be there after a delay of 10 seconds (which is equal to killspawning).

Would be hard to implement though.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its probably the same guys that think killspawing is imba/lame strategy?

maybe they like to run across the map just to notice their whole base is gone already and the area is controlled by the enemy now with a full scale base ...
    ... or it are that kind of ppl that dont give a shit about whatever is going on?

dunno i like the generall idea of empires not being game of mass suicides :P

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yes, very possible and not really hard to inplement

dont see the need to have a waiting time though...

14. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Yeah, no wait time plz.

It would be just like the warping in UT3!

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I always considered killspawning as not really fitting into the game, especially on maps where you have to watch the tickets. It is counter-intuitive to tell everyone to use revive as often as possible and then you have to waste tickets for a single tank that gets behind your lines or to build the radar.

The teleporting idea blends in better with Empires gameplay. Technically it shouldn't be hard to implement, press E inside the rax and the spawn screen opens - like it is done with the VF screen. Although it would be nicer to have a nice wobbling quantum singularity to jump into. :D

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

armories... they could be teleporters too

17. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

I like all these suggestions, perhaps devs will too?

the wait time is there because there should be some kind of penalty. if it's the same as killspawning (9 seconds) then gameplay is not badly altered, just logically improved.

black pit, wobbling anomaly, tunnels, awesome, but any visual cue can come later imo, for now I think it's unnecessary, but would definitely be cool down the road.

18. o_O

o_O Member

Sure why not, its less gamey and illogical then killspawning but does the same thing. People will still killspawn though, because they will end up far away from a rax.

For visual effects just a screen and a teleport pad copy pasted from HL2. The teleport effects wouldn't really fit with empires though so they should probly be left out.

19. Skyrage

Skyrage Member

Have a 30 second respawn time if you kill yourself. Problem solved.

20. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

good one ^