Rating System

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by the-moon, May 16, 2010.

1. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Read the old threads on the stat system. If players have any influence over ratings, they will abuse/misuse said influence.

The only type of rating system that *might* work is one operated by trusted individuals who aren't going to fuck about with it. Some ideas were tossed around, but I didn't ever start coding it, nor do I plan to.

WalMartGreeter and Hamster also made some valid points.

2. the-moon

the-moon Member

Good, This is good, another thing we need to work on. People do not report Good Reviews because they have no "Incentive" to. People write bad reviews because they have a "Incentive" to.

Of course in the perfect world, people are going to give other players good ratings, but in this world that's not Reality, if we do not provide a incentive for others players to rate good players, its never going to happen.

How is it possible to setup a system like this, where there is a Incentive for people to rate for good and bad, while not rewarding for that.

Honestly, you got me here. Im honestly not sure how a system could be setup to reward people who rate honestly, without the system being manipulated.

But you know what, we need to think of something. The current system dose not work.

The comm is 50% of any game in empires, the other 50% is team work. If theres no way to rank people. There is no way for people to know if someone is a good player or not. We cant just rely on the people from the few Clans Empires has, to comm all the time.

You brought up a great point "WalMartGreeter" and you stumped me on that.

The only system i can think of is the Honor System, and having the server post periodic messages to the players, to make sure and "!rate" good players. Then when someone rates someone else, a message gets set to everyone saying "So-n-So" Rated "So-n-So" as a 6.

.... sigh oh well. Guess we have to deal with n00b comms until we can figure out a system where 90% of the empires games do not get screwed over by n00b comms :)

Idea: Have it so that there are single player training sessions. So people have to pass a "Commander" training session before they can Opt in For commander position. Have like about 5 - 10 different commander training single player games, where each time a player passes a commander training session, he gains a rank next to his name.

1 being easiest to pass, 10 being near impossible...

There has to be a better way then the current system :)

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  3. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

Well, most "good" commander are those that knows how to give targets, has a good research routine, etc. They usually have little effect on the outcome of the game. I would give far more credit to the infantry for the wins/loses of most empire games.

The only problem I find is noobs that wish to try commanding on their first few games. While they have the right mindset when trying a new game, they don't understand that you need to play a couple of games, see how different "good" commanders play, and read the manual (for research trees, commands, GUI, etc.) before you command yourself.

I'll hijack this thread by giving my own solution: Pop Quiz :D

Before you are able to opt yourself as commander during pre-game, you need to answer 3 easy, random, multiple-choice questions on commanding or the game in general. They can include "How many different classes are in the game?" or "3-Phase engine is located under what research field?". Sadly, I know a couple of active regulars that would fail the quiz :p

4. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Your definition of a "good" commander is a maid.
    A good commander commands and doesn't bend to the will of this troops.

5. vlamnire

vlamnire Member

Something like that shouldn't be global but if a server or two wants to implement it I'm fine with that. But such events are usually cured with !votekick or !voteban. And besides usually voting out the commander works well but then you could say that it is to late in game to come back from something like that.

6. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

That is what I call a "great" commander. I was just saying a good commander is sufficient enough, which most of the regular commanders are.

7. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I almost laughed. We (Porthos (who has since left Empires) and I) tried that (it applied to the entire server, not just comms). The plugin could be modified to only effect who can command, but I don't think there are any APIs we could use to prevent people from being voted (yes, we could work around it, but the solutions would be crude).

Could the devs make it a part of the mod? Yes. Should they? I think so. Will they? Although the dev team has changed many times, I'm guessing they still have more important things to work on.

8. Theowningone

Theowningone Noone likes me :'(

*slaps the-moon*
    Listen to recon and the others, it's been tried, and it doesn't work. Quiz thing was kinda silly too, but that was at least slightly more effective.

9. the-moon

the-moon Member

Maybe so, but the current system dosent work.

10. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I think the commander quiz might work, but the Empires devs would have to implement it for it to work nicely, and I don't think those types of features are very high on their priority list.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

commander quiz - lol i remember that server - totaly pointless :D

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

In Empires, when players have been happy with my commanding, they've told me so and i've defended even when we've had bad games. A few times i'm called crappy, like all comms, but most of those people either don't know why their team is losing, or are actually justified and i'm being an idiot.

I'll never forget that time on mvalley...dammit.

Anyway, i've been friended after decently comming and I think people would rate if you are good and they've had fun. But they're not that likely to rate positively if you already have a good rating...in fact, people would probably rate badly because they think that rank isn't justified. I.E if I had a 10, people would think i'd be more justified as a 7 or so, so they'd rank 3 or 4 to make up to that.

I'll admit I haven't read the whole of the posts so you may have already covered that.

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

The rating goes like this

CW being the lowest skilled

BSID being the middle

JPL being the best

These tags are added based on all around skill and performance.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I think I oughtta just stop coming to this forum...

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Hasn't EPIC steamrolled every clan on that list?

16. 0yv47

0yv47 Member

if not already been said.... -------> @Garry's mod

17. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Dubee is just jealous of cw.
    Yea, and why isn't epic on that list?

18. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Epic is not a clan

19. Empty

Empty Member