Random Starts

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Starcitsura, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Is it possible to have "random" starts?
    Basically i'm recreating an old C&C:RA map, but the problem is there are four start locations, (there are actually 8, but I don't want to over do it lol,) which means I have to pick two...

I would rather not pick two, and have it so one team starts in the NE and the other in the SW, or one starts in the NW and the other starts in the SE.
    Is there a way to make the barracks and the CV spawn randomly in one of two (or four) places?

2. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

I could think of a way using a random timer, but it'd mean there not being a comm chair / barracks at the start, or it being destroyed and recreated - which probably breaks the map for empires usage.

for conquest maps, both sides could have a brief starting flag that got reset when the random start was assigned.

Could you have the CV centrally and just a random starting barracks / ref without ruining the map?

3. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

I don't know anything about hammer or source works, but I figured how it would be done is with multiple bar's CV's and then some sorta randomizer sends a message to the "disabled" base and destroys the extra cv/bar

It could be done placing the cv half way between the two bar's but if no one gets voted into the cv because of a tie or such, it would be a long walk.

4. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

yeah, thats how it would go - but I think if a cv gets killed then its game over (although not sure if it counts when its "killed" by the map rather than destroyed).

For the randomisation, you could have two timers, one set to 1 second, the other on a random time between 0 and 2 seconds (may work with fractions, but i dont know). which ever timer goes off first wipes out a set of starting things and the other timer.

5. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

"ent_fire emp_be_commander kill" removes the BE command vehicle without ending the map.

6. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

Another way of doing it is using templetes and randomly triggering a set of templetes for the spawn

7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Place the bases as you would normally, but use a logic_case which chooses between the starting locations to delete the unneeded ones. (use the Kill input, it prevents the game from ending, since the CV won't output OnDie, instead OnKilled) Use more logic_cases chosen from logic_cases to have more random choices.

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Grizzly's method would be best, but I think you can get away with 'killing' CV's and not ending the map. Use one of the logic entities to handle the randomness.

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

randomly launch the CV from across the map in the direction of where the players spawn.