Rail Gun Heavies

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Melee, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Melee

Melee Member

Ok now the noobs are getting used to commanding BE wins Most maps.

Why - Railgun Heavies, twin rail Pwns everything, buildings go down so fast even 3 engys repairing cant heal em. and although not good against Infantry teh most RPG with upgrade will do is stall em for a while.

Even if NF get uber cool heavies with twin guided salvo it takes a pro to dodge rails whilst firing missiles......

SO maybe give the BE heavies two ml slots but NOT 2 railgun slots, most maps are over in 10 mins due to comms going straight for railgun heavies which encourages certain players to stack BE.......

?thoughts?

2. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

If you quiken the Upgraded Homing ML to like 1 second lock on, or maybe have them auto seek targets. Then NF heavys could be on par.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Twin railgun heavies are better than NF tanks, but they are also very expensive, stop fucking with the resource multipliers and play properly, also learn to play NF, they work differently.

4. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

well NF tanks are kinda weak im not going too lie, while I still do auto-assign every game and command both sides equally I just go down physics tree with BE every time and pick up reflective. And BAM look all NF missles are pretty much useless even if they can fire 50 of them. Though it is generally just the longer games that the BE have this advantage an advantage they do have. Missles are too ez too counter, and NF tanks shape and turrent position, it pisses me off when im side by side with a BE heavy and my missles are just shooting over him :mad: while his rails rip me a new one. While you can still dish out some pretty good killing if u know how to drive and use missles they still lack from the reload time while the BE basically have a semi automatic tank shot that every nood can figure out how too use and missing a round or 2 wont cost you the battle.

5. Apogee

Apogee Member

I find plasma a great counter to Railheavies. They're expensive, s only a few will be on the field at once. So, you grab some APCs with plasma MG to support a few mediums or lights, and just immobilize them. Easy win.

6. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

And how do you get your team doing this? This may work on clanmatches, but never on a public server. :(

7. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Games i play dont usally get as far as twin rails cus we usally take them out before they can but as soon as they r on the field they are way overpowered. The Homing missles i find are a good counter but only on maps like duststorm but on things like crossroads its just ownage. :(

I think the NF could do with some kind of counter (this is where slightly diff tec trees would come in) weapon dont know what (back of mind screams HUGE NUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! but resists typeing it :p). But we do need a counter

8. flatmush

flatmush Member

There are so many ways to take out twin rails it's not even funny, UML is completely underused, just charge in so that you are perpendicular to the front of the tank and fire your uml's, they will not be able to dodge and will die straight away.

Another one is get a cheap dumg apc and rush in so close that you are touching the tank, they cannot fire because the splash damage will hurt them and you can just fire your full dumg clip into them also it shocks them so much that they don't often know how to handle it well.

One thing I do is get higher side armour than front or back and always fire sideways, that way you can easily dodge missiles and cannons.

I once saw a game where we used 3-phase or fission jeeps and charged under the heavies, the jeeps are really cheap and it's impossible to aim properly when balancing on a jeep.

And if none of those tactics works then just take out their refs, if they are all in rail heavies it will be easy to bankrupt them.

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

The problem is that a heavie has much more armor than an APC. it wont die if he hurts himself a little bit... but the APC will die.

10. communism

communism poof

As its already been said

Quit underestimating UML. It's on par with railguns

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That might explain why I have no complaints about dual rail heavies, as dual UML heavies are equally effective.

Simply close your range, taking advantage of the NF heavy armour, and let fly with both racks.

It's a shotgun on a tank, basically.

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

My favorite tank by far is the NF heavy, with absorbant armor, ranged cannon and twin UML's. I have no problem with taking down Rail heavies with that baby ;)

13. Melee

Melee Member

Chris ur just annoyed cos i said REgen armour was crap, if you cant be constructive dont post............

14. Silk

Silk Mapper

Well actually he has a point ...

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Regen armor is crap, the only redeeming value it has is that it's also cheap and fast to get.

And what I posted is constructive, your inability to see that is your error.

16. Dragoon

Dragoon Member

A design fault for NF heavy's is the inability to depress its gun low enough that it can effectively engage BE Medium at close quarters.
    Strange that with NF LT's you can hit their tracks while they can't hit your turret. :D

17. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

First, I think i've seen several post discussing the redesign of tanks, where the turret will be based upon what weapons you have equipped. that will change everything, making this whole thread moot.

Second, Any time there is an average tank fight with an NF heavy against a BE heavy, regardless of what the NF heavy has, the BE will probably win with dual rails. Why? because they can pump out more shells faster than any BE weapon configuration.

Third, I'm sorry that you've had so many shitty NF commanders that you never win, cause NF can end it within minutes with light tank advantage.

NF light tanks are incredibly powerful, especially with a fast research into adv. coolant or 3 phase. Once they have that cooling speed advantage, they can kill just about anything, even without armor.

The biggest thing is to use the early advantage that the NF have to gain an edge in resources, and then use that edge to push the enemy back even further. They lose that edge when BE gets mediums with HE or heavies with rails.

18. Demented

Demented Member

Railgun tanks are only slightly more expensive than other heavy tanks, and often cheaper since they don't need backup weapons. Most of a tank's cost is in the armor.

Problem with UMLs is that they're not much of an upgrade from 5 normal MLs, save for the accuracy and heat, and the shotgun strategy requires you to go right up to a railgun tank, where they can hurt you best. While the missile launchers are deathly powerful compared to railguns in the short term, the missiles are still easy to dodge and railgun tanks can return a more steady stream of damage.

Guided and homing missiles will let you effortlessly kill a tank from afar, which is good against tanks in maps like duststorm, cyclopean, or midbridge. However, they won't serve you as well in close combat.

(Some day I've got to try salvo homing missiles with a bio diesel engine.
    It'd be the stealth fighter of tanks. Zooms in, drops off some heavy artillery, and then flees to reload and cool off.)

19. Vader6

Vader6 Member

I do not think the BE Heavy needs a nerf, all that needs to be done to fix this is give the NF Heavy some more firepower or armour, or both, to compensate for it's ridiculous size.

20. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

In the vehicle weapon revamp the equivalants to railgun are more expensive, the whole system is more balanced by cost.