Radio Control Video

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JustGoFly, Sep 21, 2015.

1. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I just got back from NEAT Fair. It's the largest Electric event in the US, with thousands of pilots. I did a couple demo flights, here is one with five other high speed flyers. This is my second flight with this airplane.

Action starts at 2:45.
    [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhxbmNFZG6Q[/YOUTUBE]

A blog of the weekend here:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2506087#post32741043

Enjoy

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Holy shit that scenery is fucking gorgeous.

Surely flying multiple planes at the same time is asking for a disaster?

3. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

It sure could be, but it's actually not very common to have mid air collisions. One event at the NEAT FAIR is the Mass Warbird launch. They fly 55+ airplanes at one time in the same airspace, and there wasn't one mid-air collision. More crashes occurred in the two dimensional space - landing. And guys just got confused and lost control of their plane. So lots of planes being dumped into the ground. Fast flyers tend to hold a line, and are predictable. I weaved between a few planes and fly very low so it was not a problem. I got very close two times during the video, but rolled out to avoid hitting the other guy. The speed difference is fairly small. What is more dangerous is fast planes flying with slow planes. I've seen planes get completely destroyed with a high speed impact on a slow plane or the 3D guys hovering.

Fun Stuff

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Have you tried this yet?

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MBW8zoZUR4[/YOUTUBE]

Basically a camera on the flyer and you wear goggles that give you a first person perspective of the flyer.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

FPV flying is awesome, sadly its illegal here :(

(though i understand it probably is better this way)

6. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

FPV is pretty huge here, still being figured out in the courts. You can do it at rc fields, but illegal everywhere else. You get idiots hovering outside their hot neighbors windows and the courts are ready to stomp it out. It is inevitable that it will be legalized and airspace made available for commercial use. I talked to the AMA guys who go to battle in the courts, one is s close friend. They are very busy putting out fires, but making progress.

I don't FPV, I do video from airplanes:
    [YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/54VqrUTDC1I[/YOUTUBE]

QUADS and video capture are changing rapidly. If you buy something now, it'll be way outdated in 6 months. Some of the issues they recently solved was simple streaming of video at high resolution. Last year they streamed very low resolution, today you can stream 1080p. WiFi to the plane/quad is not good enough. So they use longer distance signals to the transmitter then host an access point and wifi to any tablet or headset.

Also more high end features like come home, auto land, better stabilization. Phantom Quads are the best for photography. What I am more interested in is Quad Racing. Photography is boring, quad racing is a rush.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  7. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

very cool!

8. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Oh you guys were talking about peeping because I was going to bring up, it only takes one asshole with a bomb to ruin it for everyone.