Put chainguns into mechanical

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by -Mayama-, Jan 22, 2012.

1. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

(copied from another post i made)
    Chainguns are redicoulus (assuming you have a good ping) it takes zero skill and instakills any infantry in under a second.

Afaik in empires infantry and tanks should support each other and chainguns make it to one sided. Especially because one single APC with a chaingun is enough to kill any infantry in sight without effort. The driver just needs to be able to aim and have a low ping.

So because I know that the chainguns will never be removed I suggest to, at least, make them researchable in the mechanical engineering tree. So it takes a little time and you cant get them from the start.

oh and remove 50cal, theirs no purpose for that thing beside "it was always a part of the physics tree"

2. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I support chaingun in mech but stay off my 50 cal you hater! :) xxx

3. Reznov

Reznov Member

Lets do the opposite:
    1. Remove chaingun.
    2. Add 50cal to mechanical.
    3. Give heavy tanks 4slot MGs.
    4. Dual 50cal paper heavies.
    5. ???
    6. Profit.

On a serious note: Maybe just make chaingun 2slot? I mean LTs with chainguns are ridicilous.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Dual chaingun on a heavy is better than any 50cal. And the spread ensures that poor aim doesn't get between you and a kill

Meh, it would remove chainguns on LTs and dual heavies, but that's about it. It'd be a bandaid.

It would be better if the spread was increased (a ton).

5. Catface

Catface Member

From the playtest feedback thread:

6. ImSpartacus

Nope, chaingun is just too accurate. When I think "chaingun", I think spray and pray. But when I use Empire's chaingun, it's anything but spray and pray.

50cal should be an accurate infantry killer. It should fill the role that chaingun currently fills.

7. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

When I think chain gun, I think "this thing needs some time to rev up". Perhaps combining both the requirement to rev up and losing accuracy after like 30 bullets could make it a bit more fair (while still being useful in closer quarters)

8. ImSpartacus

That's not a bad idea. If we have a half second rev up with a second of accurate firing, that's not bad. It's a good way to preserve a high damage machine gun in the introductory research.

And firing rate could be increased (with an appropriate decrease in damage/bullet) so reloads would occur more frequently, further encouraging (forcing?) short bursts. Right now, we can spew bullets for 5 whole seconds. I personally think a weapon like that should have to reload every 3 seconds or so.

9. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

Idno... the chaingun is a weird animal. Sometimes you can walz around in the hail of lead without taking more than a scratch, sometimes its instadeath.

And it's not just because of poor aim or stupid players behind the trigger either, I've experienced both with a wide range of players behind the gun.

On the flipside I have experience much the same. Sometimes a short burst will turn that soft target into ragdoll in an instant, sometimes you can burst an entire mag and the little bastard will still run up and deliver his icky-sticky. :(

It's defenitely better then when I first started playing though. Back then vehicle MGs were horribly useless, which is just wrong.

10. Catface

Catface Member

I can't stand the 50cal.

It's non-existent hit prediction and lag compensation means that I am better off just using the chaingun(Even though the 50cal kills in 2 shots on average).

That would be fantastic(at least for me).

11. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Because vehicle mgs have no prediction so its depends totaly on your ping/lag.
    Adding that to the vehicle mgs would at least make it possible to balance those weapons across all servers.

I always thought anti infantry mgs should be a way to lay supressive fire and not something to kill (snipe) infantry. In open maps it makes infantry totally useless, basicaly removing any weak point of tanks.

12. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

For me, this is a flaw in the game design/balance: random bullet rag dolling targets.

Watch the first few seconds of these vids and consider the following.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iL2NYsadJg&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALiuWg_I1k

way back, someone told me that the vehicle sights are very hackish, not sure and probably dont want to know, but a very slight spread on anti infantry guns helps them out a bit.

First video = what we have now. .50 cal = 16 rps, CG = 40 rps
    Second video = what we should try (bullet hose)

At one point I changed one of the anti infantry guns to minimum cycle and 3 or 4 damage with just a bit of spread. Not sure about server/lag at the time, but it was a blast to fight against and to use.

The spread and RoF helps fix any lag issues, tiny amount of damage gives you a chance to duck behind cover but will still kill you in under a second if you dont move. The only problem is needing a 600+ round clip to fire for more than half a second but that can be looked at later.

While I can see where people are comeing from with the gun needs to rev idea, no sane weapon designer whould not add in a pre rev the gun (TF2 heavy) option but with this being on a vehicle I dont see this being all that logical to use

13. Empty

Empty Member

Vehicle MGs do not need a fucking buff.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

50. cal has dangerous damage but it's ROF is too slow and it's extremely accurate, chain gun shoots really fast and it's innacurracy allows you to hit running infantry. So basically increase 50. cal ROF and decrease chaingun ROF.

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

remove dumg
    rename biomg dumg
    have hemg damage vehicles and buildings
    have 50cal damage vehicles and infantry

50cal goes through armour irl right?

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Low ping, good connection:

50 cal kills any infantry you klick on.
    Chaingun kills every infantry you klick on.

Theirs really no reason to have instakill guns against infantry on tanks because it makes one half (infantry) of the game completly obsolete.

18. ImSpartacus

See, I always thought that would be a neat way to handle chaingun.

Increase the RoF and spread, but decrease damage/bullet (and maybe add a rev up if it's easy on the technical end).

Let it spit through 200 10-dmg rounds in like two seconds (.01 cycle time) with a 2.5s reload (2 sec if there's a half sec revup).

Exactly the same DPS (though less effective if spread increased), but you don't get five whole seconds to drop that poor sap as he runs out of his rax. With a modest rev-up, the poor bloke has even better chances.

This is a vehicle based game. Evidence? See District. If you're looking for better infantry combat, go play BF3.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  19. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Its funney how changeing a weapons fireing characterisitcs can change a joke weapon to a "oh shit we are dead" weapon while not actuality changing much in terms of dps: see changing HEMG to a 25mm cannon.

I think there is a limit of 255 or 256 rounds in a clip. The rest are still in the clip, they just dont display correctly.
    As for the spin up idea, I dont see any way to make it work with the current scripts, so it will need new code for a "reload before firing" type setup. Seems like a bit of work for 1 weapon change.

20. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Or if you are in a light tank you don't even need to click on the infantry to kill them. As for the weapon itself, I get killed more by chaingun whores than rifleman. If the enemy has chaingun and a decent armour you might as well kill yourself to save time.