Purging overheated coolant fluids.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Wereaser, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

The idea would be implementing one time purge for coolant fluids on heavy tanks. This could give the heavy tanks some chance of escaping or returning to fire when they get hit by oveheating rounds(plasma MG, plasma cannon, HE cannon). The purge could work once without any research, but with additional research under coolant materials(the place where the coolant engine is) could increase the amount of purges by one or two.

Since the heavy tanks are the large moving weapon platforms of this game it would be nice that they could use their weaponry a bit more freely. I got this idea when I got killed by a heavy tank that simply shot two HE rounds to my side and my tank overheated. I had the green heat full and three lines in yellow before I got hit. My tank stopped there at full heat and I couldn't return fire even though my armor was able to take a lot of punishment before shots finally got through. It felt really silly that two HE rounds caused the death of a 2k RU tank and there was nothing you could do even though you had the coolant skill...

I've been thinking this over and over again. I don't see how this would harm the game, if implemented. Discuss. :)

2. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I was thinking something like this... why not for each tank iteration, the speed of the cooling increases... Light tanks would have the slowest cooling rate, then come the mediums (Maybe that NF med would actualy be used), and the heavy's can disperce heat very fast (Certanly faster then they do now)

3. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I kinda like the idea. It might help balance the detail put into the ground-vehicles with the detail going into the aircraft.

4. Duke Pending

Duke Pending Member

Ooh, yeah. I would have to agree on those grounds. I can only imagine how frustrating it could get when you're in a vehicle fight and the tank overheats then you see a bomber flying in on you. I'd say there is an argument to be made that it would increase the challenge and need to plan ahead, but if you're getting fired on by ground and about to be bombed anyway I say give the poor guy a chance, heh.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I would agree. Generaly im on the giving side of the Plasma or HE and I have had many people call me a hacker or cheat because they have "soo much armor and such a great tank" and it takes soo few shots to overheat then kill kill it with missiles. BTW my fave is to use plasma or he on them then use a bio weapon to eat them while keeping them there. :cool:

6. Jn.

Jn. Member

Or, if you're playing crossroads and your idiot team walls in the comm vehicle in the middle section and after the walls are destroyed in a huge heavy tank rush by the other team you try desperately to drive it away and it's no help that your team isn't assisting you in any way, shape, for form, and you can't drive away because you're so overheated from being shot at, and you're already so pissed off because your team is full of imbeciles, and it's just more frustrating that you can't drive an inch even though your team would still suffer a humiliating defeat if you got the comm vehicle away because the team is composed primarily of imbeciles. Not like that's ever happened to me though.

7. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

I like this idea, but make it so you put them on when you build the tank, like a weapon.

Make them weigh 100 each:D

8. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

So let us summarize before someone makes a post into the organize trhead. :)

Pros:
    +Would balance tank battles by giving heavy tanks more edge.

Cons:
    -

Alternatives:
    -Different cooling rates for different tank chassis(light slow to cool, heavy faster cooling).

Suggest additions and I'll edit this one.

9. jambo

jambo Member

maby have a bigger amount of cooling the faster you move
    eg. cars get aircooling , so when its gridlock , cars tend to overheat quicker
    where'as when moving at a decent speed , the air cooling help cool the engine.

this would make battles more interesting , eg. normally you would have to stop to get an accurate shot
    instead , you could whizz by to get better cooling , so you can launch more shells , but at the cost of accuracy

pros.
    better cooling when moving at speed
    more blitzcrege and lightning tacktics

cons.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  10. Jn.

Jn. Member

Maybe you can even upgrade the chassis with air ducts to allow better airflow in to the engines, like on cars.

11. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

Cons: jambo, flags, blips:D

Heavys won't benfit due to thier slow speed.

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I don't think they should have a greater speed of uncooling, but instead a greater ammount of heat total that they can take: e.g more heat lines on the HUD.

this represents the fact that they would have a larger cooling facility, but not more efficient one (because it's still the same engine).

it also means that plasma bullets have the same effect of heating the enemy up, but it takes longer on the bigger tanks.

what do you think?

13. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Agreed. ^

14. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:) Okay, I'm lost here. Someone make a pro con alt list and well see it through.

15. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

pros:
    dumps your heat so you can shoot

cons:
    the enemy can do this too
    wieght
    cost

alts:
    use missles more
    air colling
    heavys get more heat capasity