Proximetry based refinerys

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vessboy, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

There has been the realization that ref points are just capture points. Thus making resource collection kinda boring. Cap a point or build a point. But imagine being able to place a refinery any where theres room. As long as it's not within A certain distance(lets say the tracking distance of a lvl3 ML) of another ref. This shifts the focus of classic maps to holding land rather then points. It also brings more value to scouting as a fully functioning base with it's own ref could be any where. It will Diversify clacic maps more then any sudjestion I've ever heard. And capture points can still supply the more valuable locations on a map(the dam in Mvally).

Pros:
    -Diversifies stratigys on individual maps
    -magnify s the need for recon
    -separates the identity of cap points and refs.

Cons:
    -some classic maps wont funtion
    -Mappers have less Absolute control

Alternatives:
    -The current system is still fun(this is not fixing a bug, Nothings broken, I think this will Improve gameplay)

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

This was suggested a long time ago and the problem has not changed. It is impossible to balance maps using this system because more space = more value, and that's it.

If you want to focus on holding land just place refineries at regular intervals throughout the level, and I bet you any money the level will be boring as hell.

At the moment you can counterbalance terrain and resources by putting either resources only in the exposed areas, or by making a few defensible areas with good resourcing, or a mix of the two.

3. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

It would be cool if we could make it a mapper-placed thing though, just to give them more freedom.

4. Jäger

Jäger Member

only problem is refineries have to refine somthing. which is why there is resource nodes.

i do agree though that the game should be about controlling land but it seems the only way to do that as the game stands now is map design. but if enough people like the..lets call it "supply depo style" there is probably a way to work it in.

5. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Or we could call them factories.

Chris you act like a team can hold it's borders indefinitely Commanders will put them in defensible places. the thing is it will be different every time. Thats the advantage. And mappers can balance it. I Think of canyon, dust storm and mvally when I think of this method.
    You must consider the human mind. The players will balance this method by attacking vulnerable targets first. This brings another strategy element to the game as well.
    Your imagining a map being divided in half and commanders maximizing thier space. That wont happen with out a truce. There will be ninjas, There will be Lt's and APC's that rush the line. There will be chaos. In that there is balence. Trying to Maximize your space will weaken your ability to defend it.
    And mappers won't have to think about resource balence. Just choke points and arenas. So we can have more natural maps.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  6. Jäger

Jäger Member

i agree with you and i would prefer that style.

but i think the name factories would be confusing but i cant think of a name lol

7. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Call them mass fabricators, since Supreme Commander has the same idea and that's what they call them.

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Proximetry is not a word.

I'm not too sure about this idea being an improvement, as chris said it, more space = more value.
    Are you going to allow people to drop 50 of them, all with the same HP and resource rate as the current refinery? are they going to give 1/10th res opposed to current refineries, forcing you to build dozens for a slight income?

Current refineries give you infinite resources and the amount you can have is capped to the pre-placed locations. This means you will need map control to gain resources, while you seem to say that this is not the case and that your suggestion will allow the game to be focused more on map control rather than predetermined points. Your arguement is IMHO false as mappers don't just place their refs at random positions, they are placed at key points, in most cases, depicting expansion and territory.

While it will diversify macro management on classic maps, you do not state how this is an actual improvement to gameplay, you can achieve diversity by almost any kind of complexity, everyone knows that the latter is not a good thing at all and diversity is not a beneficial arguement for any suggestion unless it has solid gameplay foundation to rely on.

Regardless of whether this suggestion is one to persue, both cons are invalid for this type of gameplay suggestion. Implimenting this requires all kinds of work, removing ref points from classic maps is trivial compared to it. The "absolute control" of mappers is absolutely irrelevant, the cons should have been gameplay related, similar to mentioned pros of this suggestion.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Ok, so if comms will put them in defensible locations, why not simply put resource nodes in all the defensible locations?

Voila, same thing you are suggesting, only doable with exisitng entities.

Also it is never a good thing to remove a balancer from a game, mappers should think about resource balance, it's the only way we have of mixing the gameplay up. If you remove resource balance from the game then suddenly the middle of isle becomes useless, the centre of cyclopean becomes useless, the north in mvalley becomes useless.

If we don't put the resources in exposed locations people would never fight, they'd just camp in the corners and wall themselves in making the game about who can get arty the fastest.

It's a key staple of level design to put the proverbial carrot in the middle of the forest of pointy sticks, you do it in deathmatch levels and you do it in RTS levels and you do it in empires levels as well. You always put something valuable in an exposed area to force players to leave their bases or their little hidey hole or whatever. You never put a location in which has everything the player needs, hence why deathmatch maps always separate the big gun from the big gun ammo, usually putting the ammo in a hard to reach area, and why RTS maps always put the majority of the resources out in the open, between all the players so they fight over it.

If nothing else, who the hell is going to build all of these things? Either you make it so that you only need a few, in which case you can just keep the current system, or you make it so you need to place loads of them, in which case who will build them? Where's the fun in spending half the game building refineries all over the place? What's the fun in destroying the same building over and over again as you go across the map?

10. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

make it a new game mode.

have conquest (flag) maps, classic (resource node) maps, and territory (nanite/virus plant) maps.

(wow, firefox spell check does not recognize "nanite")

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You don't need a new gamemode, you can just even space refineries over a map, and if you want you can even combine flags and conquest. It's just that nobody does for some reason.

12. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

I think I don't like this: It would make things much worse for a newbie comm: instead of being told to place refineries, they have to wonder why they don't have enough resources. It would also make the gameplay on a map much less defined: most of the team won't really know where to go, and will just sort of fan out vaguely, rather than heading straight for the key locations that refineries provide.

13. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I'm trying to define refs from capture points. Mappers still have those to creat points of intrest. I'm Adding choices. Maybe there could be resource hot spots. Places where refs produce more. Just not points. Or Refs to close together produce less res. Lets find a solution.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Why?

As it stands a refinery is a flag which is neutralised by damage and captured by repair, a flag is captured by presence.

I don't see any reason to go beyond that.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

why not designate special types of "land" defined by texture or nodraw brushes over a texture that are clearly distinguishable of normal land, the more of it inside the refinery's area of effect, the more resource gain

for example, like a specially colored sand soil that generates a little smoke and looks fertile

maybe even colored crystals, that slowly grow to span over the entire map if not harvested on time and... oh silly me ^^ empiresmod is not command and conquer ^^

sorry to have annoyed you all with this ^^

16. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Chris try not to think like a nazi mapper. And imagine the stategic options being added. Let the coms do some thinking too. The current system works. but the sudgested system will add diversity.
    Why is empires so awsome? Because every match is different.

The devs are trying to expand on that by Balencing weapons. So players are motivated to try new things. Reasearch and vehicals are doing the same. If we promote Valuable resources positions to be more randomized then commanders will develope differant base layout styles. Different objectives for assulting the enemy.

Stop thinking like a mapper. Think like a player and play.

17. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Come back when you found a way to check for spelling.

I tried to show you the errors in your thread, if you can't be bothered to broaden your hypothesis, we'll do it for you, but not in this thread.

Welcome to the suggestions forum, where the least we ask is to spell the forum name correctly. It's NOT spelled sugjestion, nor sudgestion.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.