Problems setting up hammer

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Soylent, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Soylent

Soylent Member

Solved: Solution nuke the Source SDK and reinstall it.

Tried the quick version from the wiki; found it was broken(since steam release presumably). Manually put in every path. Hammer now starts without complaint.

Tried building a teeny tiny test map just to see that it compiles(just a hollow box with a light source in it); vbsp complained about missing textures and missing skybox textures then shat itself.

Tried verifying all the relevant caches. Tried fiddling with the paths for an hour or so. Tried searching the web and empires forums a couple of times but that didn't get me anywhere.

Here's my GameConfig.txt:
    Code:
    "Configs"
    {
    	"Games"
    	{
    		"Empires 2.2x"
    		{
    			"GameDir"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<my username>\empires\empires"
    			"hammer"
    			{
    				"GameData0"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<my username>\empires\empires\empires.fgd"
    				"TextureFormat"		"5"
    				"MapFormat"		"4"
    				"DefaultTextureScale"	"0.320000"
    				"DefaultLightmapScale"	"32"
    				"GameExe"		"C:\Program\Steam\steamapps\<my username>\source sdk base 2007\hl2.exe"
    				"DefaultSolidEntity"	"func_detail"
    				"DefaultPointEntity"	"emp_info_map_overview"
    				"BSP"			"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<my username>\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vbsp.exe"
    				"Vis"			"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<my username>\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vvis.exe"
    				"Light"			"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<my username>\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vrad.exe"
    				"GameExeDir"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<my username>\source sdk base 2007"
    				"MapDir"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<my username>\empires\empires\mapsrc"
    				"BSPDir"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<my username>\empires\empires\maps"
    				"CordonTexture"		"common/tools/toolsskybox"
    				"MaterialExcludeCount"	"0"
    			}
    		}
    	}
    	"SDKVersion"		"3"
    }

If you have it working; let me see yours.

Error:

Code:
    ** Executing...
    ** Command: "c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vbsp.exe"
    ** Parameters: -game "c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\empires\empires" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\<joink>\empires\empires\mapsrc\testmap"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (May 19 2009)
    4 threads
    materialPath: c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\empires\empires\materials
    Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\<joink>\empires\empires\mapsrc\testmap.vmf
    material "metal/metalfloor003a" not found.
    Material not found!: METAL/METALFLOOR003A
    fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
    Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces...done (0)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    done (0)
    writing c:\program files\steam\steamapps\<joink>\empires\empires\mapsrc\testmap.prt...Building visibility clusters...
    done (0)
    material "skybox/empsky_day3rt" not found.
    Can't load skybox file skybox/empsky_day3 to build the default cubemap!
    Can't load skybox file skybox/empsky_day3 to build the default cubemap!
    Finding displacement neighbors...
    Finding lightmap sample positions...
    Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Building Physics collision data...
    At this point it just crashes. I'm suspecting issues with pathing, somehow, somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

you need to edit the GameConfig.txt in:

D:\Steam\steamapps\<username>\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin

and place that in there:

Code:
    "Configs"
    {
    	"Games"
    	{
    		"Empires"
    		{
    			"GameDir"		"d:\steam\steamapps\[COLOR="Red"]<username>[/COLOR]\empires\empires"
    			"hammer"
    			{
    				"GameData0"		"d:\steam\steamapps\[COLOR="Red"]<username>[/COLOR]\empires\empires\empires.fgd"
    				"TextureFormat"		"5"
    				"MapFormat"		"4"
    				"DefaultTextureScale"		"0.320000"
    				"DefaultLightmapScale"		"32"
    				"GameExe"		"d:\steam\steamapps\[COLOR="Red"]<username>[/COLOR]\source sdk base 2007\hl2.exe"
    				"DefaultSolidEntity"		"func_detail"
    				"DefaultPointEntity"		"emp_info_map_overview"
    				"BSP"		"d:\steam\steamapps\[COLOR="Red"]<username>[/COLOR]\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vbsp.exe"
    				"Vis"		"d:\steam\steamapps\[COLOR="Red"]<username>[/COLOR]\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vvis.exe"
    				"Light"		"d:\steam\steamapps\[COLOR="Red"]<username>[/COLOR]\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vrad.exe"
    				"GameExeDir"		"d:\steam\steamapps\[COLOR="Red"]<username>[/COLOR]\empires" [COLOR="Red"]<====[/COLOR]
    				"MapDir"		"d:\steam\steamapps\[COLOR="Red"]<username>[/COLOR]\empires\empires\mapsrc"
    				"BSPDir"		"d:\steam\steamapps\[COLOR="Red"]<username>[/COLOR]\empires\empires\maps"
    				"CordonTexture"		"common\tools\toolsskybox"
    				"MaterialExcludeCount"		"0"
    			}
    		}
    	}
    	"SDKVersion"		"3"
    }

i didnt really compair yours and mine
    so if it doesnt work you got the paths right and another error

looked a little closer and marked the error ;)

REMEMBER TO CHANGE TO YOUR DRIVE!!!

3. Soylent

Soylent Member

Nope, still crashes and burns I'm afraid.

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

post your new gameconfig content, where it is and with what options your start hammer in sdk

on the other hand i can only help you stting upp the paths
    for more mapping related errors you will have to wit till a mapper comes on

i think i found another error:
    you wrote "C:\Program\..." instead of "C:\Program Files\..." ;)

5. Soylent

Soylent Member

Code:
    "Configs"
    {
    	"Games"
    	{
    		"Empires"
    		{
    			"GameDir"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\empires\empires"
    			"hammer"
    			{
    				"GameData0"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\empires\empires\empires.fgd"
    				"TextureFormat"		"5"
    				"MapFormat"		"4"
    				"DefaultTextureScale"		"0.320000"
    				"DefaultLightmapScale"		"32"
    				"GameExe"		"C:\Program\Steam\steamapps\<joink>\source sdk base 2007\hl2.exe"
    				"DefaultPointEntity"		"emp_info_map_overview"
    				"BSP"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vbsp.exe"
    				"Vis"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vvis.exe"
    				"Light"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vrad.exe"
    				"GameExeDir"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\empires"
    				"MapDir"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\empires\empires\mapsrc"
    				"BSPDir"		"c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\empires\empires\maps"
    				"CordonTexture"		"common/tools/toolsskybox"
    			}
    		}
    	}
    	"SDKVersion"		"3"
    }
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<joink>\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\GameConfig.txt

Command line args for hammer are autogenerated. I'm starting it from the Source SDK launcher with Engine version: Source Engine 2007, Current Game: Empires.

Command line args for VBSP are default: -game $gamedir $path\$file

The map I'm trying to compile consists of a single, hollow cube with a single texture on it and a single light in it. There are absolutely no leaks, no offgrid vertices, no overlapping brushes, no concave or degenerate brushes, no leaf portal saw into leaf, no exceeded map limits.

I'm from Sweden, C:\program is the correct path. For compatibility with badly written programs, windows automatically aliases "C:\program files" back to the correct path in localized versions of windows(if I type "C:\program files\some folder" in explorer it takes me to "C:\program\some folder").

It should make no difference, but I tried both when fiddling around. I also tried all 4 plausible combinations of gameexedir("C:\Program\Steam\steamapps\<joink>\source sdk base 2007\" or "c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\empires") and gameexe("C:\Program\Steam\steamapps\<joink>\source sdk base 2007\hl2.exe" or "c:\Program\steam\steamapps\<joink>\empires\hl2.exe"). In total there are 8 combinations and I restarted steam before trying each one.

I'm going to try deleting the source sdk and reinstalling it now.

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

hmm k
    atleast the paths are correct now
    but i cant help you any further as im not using hammer
    you will probably have to wait for a mapper to show up

7. Soylent

Soylent Member

Reinstalling sdk did the trick... but didn't I just ask steam to verify the integrity of the tool cache?

VBSP still moans a bit about textures, but I'm not sure there's anything I can or need to do about that as the textures are clearly reachable ingame and clearly visible when I apply them to surfaces in hammer. I can just build the cube maps ingame and everything should be fine... I think.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Make sure to use the vrad in the empires_base gcf, it's in empires/sdktools/bin. Parallax textures won't be lit properly if you don't do this.

9. Soylent

Soylent Member

That's OK, I don't like parallax maps; the aliasing looks like ass on shader model 3.0 hardware(for instance, my radeon x1900).

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You don't really have much choice, any textures that have the parallax shader (they aren't tagged) will be fullbright if not compiled with the correct version of vrad.

11. Soylent

Soylent Member

Nice. As far as I'm concerned, that's not a bug, that's a feature.

It's sort of like the circus option for the old hlrad that fills unlit luxels with random colours so you can spot them more easily. If I accidentally include any materials that use the parallax shader I will spot them on my next iteration and I can just bang together a custom .vmt that doesn't use the parallax map.

12. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

Can any mappers link what their GameConfig.txt looks like after Steam release? The one mentioned in the wiki has not been upgraded yet.

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Here's mine, for the current Steam version:
    Code:
                    "Empires"
    		{
    			"GameDir"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\youraccountname\empires\empires"
    			"hammer"
    			{
    				"GameData0"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\youraccountname\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\empires.fgd"
    				"TextureFormat"		"5"
    				"MapFormat"		"4"
    				"DefaultTextureScale"		"0.250000"
    				"DefaultLightmapScale"		"16"
    				"GameExe"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\youraccountname\Source SDK Base 2007\hl2.exe"
    				"DefaultPointEntity"		"ai_speechfilter"
    				"BSP"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\youraccountname\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vbsp_empires.exe"
    				"Vis"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\youraccountname\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vvis.exe"
    				"Light"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\youraccountname\sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\vrad.exe"
    				"GameExeDir"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\youraccountname\Source SDK Base 2007"
    				"MapDir"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\youraccountname\empires\sourcesdk_content\empires\mapsrc"
    				"BSPDir"		"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\youraccountname\empires\empires\maps"
    				"CordonTexture"		"tools\toolsskybox"
    			}
    		}

I copied the fgd to the source2007 bin, so it will be different for your setup if you use the one in the empires directory.
    The version of VBSP i'm using is the one i extracted from empires_base.gcf, at empires/sdktools/bin.
    I renamed so that the SDK wouldn't overwrite it every time i booted it up, so just make sure to rename it and drop it into the source2007 bin directory and you shouldn't have problems with parallax textures.

14. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

just a question, is it somehow possible to make it not such a drag to setup hammer?
    it always takes me weeks before i can get myself to do all the necessary stuff. im quite sure it keeps others from mapping aswell ...

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I heard the new SDK will be rolling out after Portal 2 gets released, but don't quote me on that.

16. flasche

will that make any difference for hammer? we cannot use the new sdk2009 features either, or did that change now?

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I guess we'll just have to wait and find out. I think the whole SDK will be updated, not just another version of hammer for the Portal 2 engine.

18. flasche

wow solokiller it took me forever to setup hammer with your gameinfo. problem was paths for 64bit windows should be "program files (x86)" ^^

19. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I still don't get why Microsoft did that.

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

then you probably do not get what the difference is between 64 and 32 ether? it makes sense somewhat if you do