Problem: Stackers

Discussion in 'General' started by KMFrog, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

A stacked game every 3-5 games would suit me just fine. Better than a stacked game EVERY game.

2. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Thank superlagg for screen capping my awesomeness :D

3. Fireball

Fireball Member

Too bad your e-awesomeness can't be redeemed for RL-awesomeness.

4. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Yea, but after some others came and it was made 7 vs 7

We still had them on the ropes till that point though

5. flatmush

flatmush Member

I wasn't changing teams and I live in ****** in ****** so my ping should be pretty good. I have since found out that it happens on other servers when the playercount hits 35-40, for some reason the upload rate on my internet is choked.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  6. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

bahahahaha

7. taiiat

taiiat Member

lol. but since you cant do the same thing in RL as ingame, it doesnt matter really does it? the world doesnt have tanks and weapons like that.

8. Reef

Reef Member

In My opinion, in the first iteration, Frog should reimplement the randomizer (a thing that doesn't allow You to choose a team at all. Currently it fails and it annoys people).
    In the second iteration We should provide a plugin that would magicly autobalance teams.
    I agreed with Frog 2 days ago on a second iteration's plan. As far as I know, there are no forum users reading this topic that would be able to help in any way, that is why I am not describing the plan here.
    Post like Superlagg's and others offtopic bastards that followed are (surprise!) NOT going to help. Please post constructive, ontopic messages or go to the black hole.

9. training server

training server Banned

whatever plugin it may be or how it works, i dont think it will ever come out good.
    Whenever a player gets switched he or she will start to complain because he (or she) had something planned out with his squad or teammates on the other team. Even when s/he died and get switched after death, s/he would still have the same plan in mind and wants to retry that on a different way.

another problem is that players tend to go spec when their team is losing, an autoteambalance would cause chaos here

right now, my server just relies on admins, no teambalancer

10. sergeant mkoll

sergeant mkoll Member

i'll tell my clan to try to balence the teams, but it balences the numbers and doesn't do much to stop skill stacks so sometimes you have to join the winning team because of the player difference, so its stay in specs until round is over... or join the winning team

11. Reef

Reef Member

I hate this approach.
    "There is nothing We can do, don't even try thinking about it"

We could try switching players that connected only a while ago, rather than switching the ones that play from the start of the map. After 2-3 minutes of playing You don't have a "plan" yet - and if You already do, You will be less pissed off for switching that someone that is defending the dam for last 20-30 minutes and now is expected to attack it.

The major problem of the Empires teambalance is not what it is in Natural Selection.
    In NS people lamequit and the game becomes unbalanced. If jetpacks are researched or if there are fades on the field, the game ends in minutes (sometimes in seconds).
    In Empires the problem is that on a map start people are assigned to teams in a unfair way. Even if it's random it can be unfair.
    The problem with Empires is the begining of the game is fragile. If You don't get res/radar/vf fast and the enemy does - You lost the game. People (imo) tend to play whole maps, they rarely leave in the middle and unbalance it, so the plugin will be oriented on balancing the begining of the game.

This can be detected, autobalancer can block itself when it realizes that players ragequit to spectate.

12. training server

training server Banned

most of the time teams start balanced, its halfway through the game when a team starts losing people will start leaving and people that are losing will shout "wow 15v12"

you may talk about unbalanced teams skill wise but a teambalancer cannot do much about it especially not on the beginning of a map (nobody has scores/frags yet) and otherwise you would need stats recorder like hlxstats or psychostats. Though still not accurate in balancing teams skillwise but its a beginning ...

13. sergeant mkoll

sergeant mkoll Member

what about people that have just crashed/vaced/timed out and are rejoining?
    espeacially if its the comm

14. Reef

Reef Member

This is easy to implement. If the commander is disconnected/he rejoins/whatever in less than f.e. 5 minutes, he will be assigned to the team that he commanded. Also, if we get lucky about OnConnect event, players can be notified about him and his estimate arrival time.
    "Your commander, XXXXXX, is reconnecting and he will join You in approx. 34 seconds".
    Non-commanders that rejoin should be assigned back to their teams as well, but if the teams are extreamly unbalanced, we will probably try to assgin the rejoining player to the weaker team and we hope that the player will understand it.

You have just described the diffrence between the training server and KM server.

That is what I am going to implement it, however there are some events other than kills/deaths that are hard (but possible) to track and if it will be needed, we will code it in.
    F.e. we can track "1+ (time where the player was commanding/time where he was online)".
    We can also track commanders by the average skill on a team, so if a weak team ellects You, You get less points than if a very strong team chooses You to command.
    Thease points are serverside. Yes, it can be unfair for some players, but that's not the point. The point is, it should be fairly accurate for most players. If it will be, We can use it to balance teams.

When the flag is neutralized/captured, We can track who was close to it (so we have pretty good knowledge about who is an active flag capturer. This, however, is hard to implement, because it needs us to gather coordinates for all the flags in all the maps on the server and then hardcode it into a KV.

There are no possible ways to capture events like "You got a skillpoint for repairing something" for now.
    I think it would be easy for Krenzo to fire an event when someone gets a skillpoint, but he seems to be busy moving Empires. This has to wait... But we have things to do already.

I am glad that some players started to commit something usefull in this topic. Thanks.

PS. I need more constructive thoughts to design the plugin properly.
    Preferably user stories like above ("commander timed out and reconnected, what happens?").

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  15. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

zomg this plugin could save player score for certain time after disconnect so when sum1 rejoins after crash he gets his points back, that would be lovely

16. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

For the start a score based autobalancer is enough because most good players
    are in the upper third of the scorebord 80% of the games.

ohh... if someone codes a archievment and a personal player stats (tf 2 like) counter i would consider to
    bake a cake and send it to him ^^

17. Reef

Reef Member

I agree, but Frog doesn't.
    To make it clear, we decided to make a plugin that would gather and analyze data and then it would say "I think NF will win this". When (if...) the plugin would be tuned enough to beat the scoutmeter - we will start giving it some power to reasign players.

What are those? I don't have TF2, could You describe those features? Maby they are easy to code (if it's like "4 kills in a row" thing, it's extreamly easy to code, compared to what we are discussing in this topic).

18. Empty

Empty Member

Something like achievements should have a different suggestions thread [if it can be done, I support it. Fully.]

That asside. Team balancing is a huge problem, and we all add to it. We all have our preferred team, but happily, a lot of us have restraint.

For now, could a basic 'shortest time on BE gets flipped over if they're stacking' script not do the job.

It's not fair on one guy if he gets teamswitched [which can sadly lead to griefers, but that's another problem] or not fair on a whole team [up to 15 players!] come on people, LESSER OF TWO EVILS!

19. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

yep its as easy as that:
    heal 10000HP
    make 100 scout headshots
    waste the cv in water
    build 100 lvl3 engy turrents
    do 1000 revives
    do 1000 arty kills
    the list could go on and on. if its possible to use sql with hl2 i could write you the sql code for this

20. Empty

Empty Member

YOU CAN?
    Get to da choppah! er. Thread.

We made one under suggestions.
    I put in like, 60 ideas.