Previous comm instant eject ability.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Private Sandbag, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

this game had been playing for 90 minutes. it's certainly one of the best games of dust storm i'd ever played, with a worthwhile enemy team and a half decent team.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the idea behind this is that if you have been commander for more than one minute, then for one minute after you are out of the commander seat you have the ability to instantly kick the person out of the CV.

too many games have been ruined by commanders jumping out to help and having the command vehicle hijacked.

whats more, because you have to be in the comm vehicle for more than a minute this will prevent greifing such as jumping in, jumping out and ejecting the comm as he gets back in. and it will also mean that so long as the real commander doesn't leave the comm vehicle for more than a minute, he'll never be victim to it.

I think this is a foolproof system to ensure no more hijacks.

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

man you need to treat that cv like your driving down dark street in oakland...

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

come on, you actually expect my team to, pffft, like, actually build stuff? or shoot people? damn, you gotta lay off the crack pipe....

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I only inject crack into my eyes.. i dont fuck with that pipe shit

nah but really tho.. you need to act like building is selling weed.. you can sell it around cops.. just like you cant get out and build stuff if an emp recruit is sitting there staring at your big boom tank..

Im not saying your idea is bad... Its just that you can play it safe and never get out

5. Kamber

Kamber Member

ya one time i was comming on cyclopean and at the beginning of the game this one guys was like "let me comm" and i told him "no" and left it at that. half way through the game my commander vehicle was gravely injured by a tank rush and there was no one around after it was repelled so i got out and started repairing it only to have the command vehicle stolen by the same guy who had wanted it in the start. he proceeded to wall off our base and do no research and eventually left after the team started bitching at him.

the moral: don't get out for any reason when people are around on a public server.

As for the suggestion this has potential to work for the griefers as well as the good comms as a grefer could get in at the start and wander around without having too worry about the team getting it back. what about having it only effect comms that are voted in?

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

doesn't seem flexible enough to do that. there are loads of situations where you become the main commander even if you didn't get voted in.

though i do agree that you shouldn't have to wait a whole minute if you are voted in. like if want to jump out of the command vehicle right at the start to help build stuff.

7. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Hes im my-HES IN MY TGANK GET OUT OF MY TANK GET OUT GET OUT OUT DAMNIT NOW NOW GET OUT NOOB YOU SUCK NOW OH MY GOD YOU NOOB GET OUT RIGHT NOW PLEASE RIGHT NOW GET OUT OF MY VEHICLE!

Ya know, there is a thing known as politely asking people to do things. Works most of the time, and the other times are solved by an eject. Every time I ask people to get out of my tank, they do it. He probably thought you were a random nub who wanted to take commander then drive into a lake. I'd think that.

But yeah, this would be a good idea. But instead of this, how about when the commander leaves the vehicle, he doesnt stop being commander until he presses a certain button to get out or dies when hes out?

8. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

like it or not, if people have to play this game and constantly worry about getting the proverbial shank in an ominous crack house, that's going to be a BIG turn off to gameplay (if it isn't already). This and any other anti-griefing solutions need to be instituted- how many servers probably ban for this sort of cv hijacking stuff? This needs to be fixed. I don't have any opinion about this particular idea, but one solution is probably as good as the next so I am for it. Primarily because most of these games my noob team is too clueless to actually vote out the commander.

also lol @ the slideshow and Sandbag's woeful suffering :p :D

9. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

There was one game of canyon where I was commanding NF. We got a barracks on the hill near BE base, but at the same time, BE got an APC and a VF at that refinery to the SE of NF base. Knowing that my team was incapable of killing those themselves, I hopped out, got in a light tank, and proceeded to wipe out the enemy attack. Next thing I know, Grey Fox is in the comm, and he refused to place refineries even though we contolled more than half the map but had only one ref due to the enemy attack. Lack of resources eventually screwed the team over and we gradually lost territory till it was over.

10. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Well, you made it look like you were done commanding, it's pretty easy to mistake a commander hopping into a tank and blowing nodes up as an indication that he isnt coming back.

11. Andariel

Andariel Member

Im for a solution to get idiots quick out of the comm vehicle once you where comm long enough

I lost so many good rounds because some idiot decided to hop in the boomtank and do nothing worth it, all because the previous comm helped his team.

Also the asking polite police is really newb dependant, most of them wont listen until you screamed your soul out to have them understand theyre an idiot.

sometimes i wonder if i'm the only person who simply does rtfm

12. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

He refused to get out even after the team urged him to so that I could get back in. He was just being a fucking douche. Funny enough though, theres never enough smart people on the team to vote out the comm.

13. Pod

Pod Member

It's likely that someone with emp_recruit as their name doesn't read the text messages.

I think the amount of time should be variable. i.e., if you've been commander for a minute, you can only really "insta-kick" someone for about 10 seconds after they've gotten in. This does not ban them from the CV as well, in the same way that a vote kick does. However, if you've been comming for an hour you should have the ability to kick for about 5 minutes, maybe? Unless you got voted out, of course :)

14. newguy

newguy Member

lol I would like to point out that the 'NEW GUY' he was referring to in the chat was not me :D

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

@pod... ten seconds really isn't enough. For instance, if you are building something and watching the bar, or as I like to do, building and typing at the same time, then it's very easy to miss that 10 second window of opportunity to prevent the game being ruined.

16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The first step is to block all emp_recruits from getting in the CV, the second step is to allow long time commanders to lock the CV, until they leave the server, get in, or unlock it. Or until a CVAR-set time auto-unlocks it.

17. Sayton

Sayton Member

Just make it impossible for anyone but the elected commander to enter the CV until the he is voted out (in which case a new vote begins).

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Ahh that's good. you should have to change your name before you can go in the CV. that would stop a lot of first timers jumping in it.

Sayton, that's nowhere near flexible enough for the game. With good commanders that do jump out and can be headshotted (it's happened to me a few times) it's often neccessary to let your team take it back to saftey. Or if very frequently the current commander is out and AFK, or if he doesn't want to command, lots of situations require you just to be able to jump in and get on with the game without having to wait for an entire vote on an issue that shouldn't even require a vote. I'm a good commander. if there's no commander then the team will benefit from me in the CV whether they know to vote for me or not.

I hate suggestions where it effects and can harm gameplay as a solution to griefers. there are FAR better solutions

19. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I think the vote commander out option should be more clearly labeled and easier to access-- people seem to not understand WHEN their commander is sucking balls/outright griefing, or they don't care- i think the vote com out thing just needs more press.

Like... big red button "EJECT THIS DOUCHE" obvious.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  20. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

You just need admins on the server. Playing with experienced players might help too. If the server admins accept demos and ban for stealing commander that's also fine.