Power Stations

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Trid3nt, May 13, 2006.

1. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

In some RTS games you have power cores/stations etc that make your buildings work faster, and what about a power station that you have to connect to buildings with power cables to make them work at full capacity i.e Research done faster, buildings can heal themselves or have a sheild of some kind and Engineers work faster on a connected building

If this was added to sheild generators (Star wars gungan style) The Artillery problem could be solved

2. HornyRabbit

HornyRabbit Member

I kinda like the shield generator idea, might balance arty greatly if implemented in right way.

3. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

The devs have already shot down power station ideas in the past.

4. supaste

supaste Member

yeah but that was a different powerstation idea!

that was more like how C&C style power stations where you constantly need powerstations to run everything

this one is about connection buildings to a genarator to jack into the shield power.

5. Shakura Jolithion

Shakura Jolithion Member

A shield would be a bit odd... not to mention connecting things means a lot of work for wiring and placement.

6. Chahk

Chahk Member

Connecting things with power cables? Let's not turn commander's game into SimCity please ;)

7. FalconX

FalconX Developer

There've been so many its hard to say what we havn't heard.

On a sidenote, energy shields don't fit into the Empires world.

8. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

resource nodes produce the power for bases as pointed out in their description on this site. It just doesn't isn't a gameplay factor.

Though I wouldn't mind build limits being dependant on how many nodes you have. That could mimick the effect of power requirement.

9. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

I like the idea of power plants.
    But I don't think, you should need more than one PP (in most RTS you need more as you base grows), but the PP is just another tactical target:
    Scout may disable it for 30sec or when it's destroyed turrest may turn and fire slower, vehicle constructing and researching need a longer time etc.

10. Jn.

Jn. Member

I think each building should run on a bigass battery, and every so often an engineer has to replace that bigass battery with another bigass battery. We'll call them Buracells for legal reasons. Then Krenz can markey the Buracells in real life to put all the other major battery producers out of business since the Buracells are effective enough to run a vehicle factory for over 10 whole minutes. Beat that Durawhaaaaaaaaat.

Ok I am going with Dee's idea. Saves the trouble of making a whole new building model for the game, and it does the same thing. Make a resource node only able to provide resources for a certain number of buildings perhaps.

11. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

or a certain area

12. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Bad idea because the number of res nodes are limited. Especially bad idea because on the larger maps it's often good strategy to setup several forward bases, and adding this sort of restriction prevents that, for the most part. Within an area of a resource node is an even worse idea for the same reason.

13. ^Dee^

You're forgetting that the size of maps are usually proportional to the number of nodes available.

I'd also like to point out that you're falling into the same trap that many other people do. You're judging an idea without considering that everything would have to be tested and tweaked for balance.

14. FalconX

FalconX Developer

That really doesn't matter. I assume the point of implimenting this suggestion would be to have it actually do something. If it does something, then it necessarily restricts the creation of forward bases and outposts. If it were tweaked to give enough power to establish forward bases, it would do nothing, and implimenting it would be pointless in the first place.

15. ^Dee^

so uhh, are you agreeing with my idea or is that just the wrong use of necessarily? =/

I'm guessing the former; in which case you're still judging an idea that hasn't even gone through testing and balancing. It's all empty speculation really =P

16. Jn.

Jn. Member

*hug for Dee* It's ok, some people like empty speculation.

17. FalconX

FalconX Developer

I was using nescessarilly to mean inevitably. And I'm judging it because I think that, at its base, it's a bad idea. :)

18. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I thought there were problems with the balance of power when more res nodes were captured, making it impossible for the loosing team to come back and win. I think limiting buildings to res nodes would exacerbate this problem. I = not in favour.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yea, and if you go under the required power, your turrets get no ammo recharge or some other penalty

20. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

What heppened to the "done to death" thread? This should go there.

Edit:

Fine, I'll do it. You punks!