Playing with the Skybox by myself! Pics included!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dr. Nick, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Member

Earlier today, I was spectating a game(waiting for it to end, it was too interesting to join a team and possibly quicken the end) I wondered how things would look if they were 10x larger than normal.
    The answer, put it in the skybox!

I remember from the games of GMod that I had played that a maps skybox magnifies everything, making them look much larger than they normally are.

I was really interested in seeing a giant turret watching over a teams base, so I made my own server and tried placing a few items in the skybox.
    I placed a Northern Faction basic turret, a Camera, a few walls and an Ammo Crate.

Unfortunately, there was a problem with everything but the crate, and they didn't show up(if anyone knows about this, please tell me). I still got a few awesome pictures of a NF comm vehicle looking smaller than an ammo crate!

Here's the pictures!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/nickwarr_182/emp_duststorm0070.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/nickwarr_182/emp_duststorm0078.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/nickwarr_182/emp_duststorm0084.jpg

I bet with some tweaking, I could get the turret to appear, and maps could look more cyber-punk. I don't think they would shoot at people, since they're actually really far away from the base.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. Sie nannten ihn KARTOFFEL

Sie nannten ihn KARTOFFEL Member

3. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

It's nothing special and tbh didn't deserve a thread.

Everyone knows about the skybox.

4. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

But it gave me idéas für mapping..

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Turrets will never fire at you if you're in the main area of the map and if they're in the 3D skybox, since there is no actual connection between the two. It's also 16X, not 10X.

6. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Member

I found out why the turrets didn't appear, it was because if the skybox is too far away, it won't show up onscreen(blame the draw distance), but if the skybox is closer, like directly below the map, you can see it from a large area, especially if you're on a small map!

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

hahaha thats so cool

that ammo crate is awesome.

8. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

I loled at the giant ammo box. It's "Ammoz Paradise!" Now nubs can see the ammoz from miles around, like a glorious temple! They'll travel from all corners of the world, an ammoz mecca!

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Admin remove "the Skybox by" thx.

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Haha I read the thread like that aswell

11. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

In the JPL server, we had infantry battles. We would wall off a section of the map, place a rax from both sides inside the box, and just fight.

Then it got boring, so Caggers took the battle inside the skybox. It was pretty lulzy.

12. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

haha, I love when admins of the server allows for ''cheats'' . It gets so much more, to say.. unserious.

13. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Actually, I know several mappers who would deny that claim to the point where you'd want to smack them. So, no it aint.

14. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Member

Well, I tested it on duststorm, which has the skybox way below the map, then on a custom map, the CW vehicle test map(the skybox is below the map, but a lot closer), and it worked.

15. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Dr Nick is correct. All empires buildings and vehicles are handled differently than in most games. When far away, the server does not send their info to the client to save bandwidth. Therefore, if the skybox is too far away, you won't see the turret you placed.

16. Kamber

Kamber Member

actually at a certain distance you can see a vague out line of the building, but if you get too close it disappears.

17. Mishotaki

Mishotaki Member

that makes me remember what an admin did in some game we played, he made all the players tiny, we were on District402 and the borders of the sidewalk were about the same height as our players ^_^

only the player models were like that tough... so we had some huge guns (you couldn't see your own gun as huge, but when you looked at the other players, they were huge things!) like 10 times bigger than the guys ^_^

Sadly, it was boring to play as we were running at the speed we would run at our size... so taking a minute from the first spawn to the first intersection is kinda slow... when you only did 1/4th of the path to reach the enemy ^_^

It was funny and pointless, not very interesting as you couldn't have any combat in that... running to the enemy was too long for that... but it would have been funny:
    -hey what are you shooting at?
    -i know there's an NF there, i see his gun!
    -oh ok! good idea!

LOL