Pessimistic Fallout 3 Article to discuss

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Buttery Lobster, Jul 14, 2007.

1. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I read this article in the Zombie Master forums, and I'm still undecided about the whole Fallout 3 in general. The jist of this argument is that they ignore fans and their recent games suck, but hell, I could have told you that Oblivion sucked and not have to write three pages about it.

So... if you're interested in Fallout 3, give this article a read, and then, for god's sake, refute all of it's arguments, because I would really like to enjoy Fallout 3, and I would really like proof that it isn't going to be a stupid bag of crap like Oblivion.

In short, just getting a little feedback discussion going.

here's a text version of the document:
    staff.gamingforce.com/brady/don'tbuythehype.txt

and the forum i discovered it in:
    http://www.zombiemaster.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2869&start=0

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

tl;dr

It doesn't matter what they do, the fallout lot is still likely to say the game sucks.

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I'm sick and tired of people who want games to always follow a set guideline. So what if the formula for Elder Scrolls changed? I played Oblivion and some of Morrowind....I enjoyed both. I played Deus Ex 1 - and 2. 2 didn't measure up to one in the storyline, and was not as in depth as the gameplay, but it offered a greater ability to affect how things went for you later on...something most games still don't have, as most games are still too linear (which is one of the fears I have of Crysis...I'm a little tired of the linear FPS model of doing things, and graphics don't make me want to pay 50 USD for a game.)

4. arklansman

arklansman Member

QFT

<filler>

5. The Buttery Lobster

i JUST THIS MINUTE realized what tl;dr meant. I thought Dee was just typing gibberish :o.

Yeah, the fans are gonna bitch about everything, but I just don't want that level up system from Oblivion (my bro beats the game at level 4 and I get mauled at level 24?!) or the vital NPC that wanders off and dies without my even knowing because now all the monsters are uber-high level.

As long as they don't do THAT, I'll probably be satisfied.

6. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

[​IMG]<---link

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  7. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

I'm a big fallout fan, If they can further develope all aspects of Fallout, I'm still glad. Fallout 1 and 2 are hard for new comers now day. Its still a gem in the gaming world. If they work hard for fallout, It would bring new people to the series and may ignite them to try the original ones.

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I really enjoyed that article, thanks for the great find :D

I just hope to god that game companies will move away from the dumbing down that is going on right now... For the love of god, I dont want to play a freaking game where a 5 year old can play it and understand it... I want a game that I have to print a map out for, something that will make me WANT to take a piece of paper and write something down... (The last game I got obssesed over like that was Ragnarok, and that was over 6 years ago)

Judging by the history that, that guy posted seems like Fallout indeed will be just "Oblivion with Guns" but one thing is for certain: It will look pretty...

If they make the gamplay that of Oblivion, I think I will cry, even though Oblivion was a fairly good game, I always felt that there was something missing...

The community control described in the article got me really worried, most games overhype themselves today, which damages their reputation in the long run...

9. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Ya, dumbing down games is bad move. Its the only move they know how to get new comers.

They should at least figure a way to make it appealing to those who are new, and satisfy the long time fans. -=/ unfortunatly I have no idea how it could be done.

10. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Well if they keep the modd ability like they do with Oblivion the comunity will fix it themesleves in a few weeks lol.

Oh and DeadReckoning its easy. Have a main story line that the fans can start at and have a seperate limited area for n00bs thats is like a training area. Once they are up to it wander out into the main story.

11. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Here's an idea on how to get newcomers...

DON'T dumb it down! Smart it up! Believe it or not, it is possible to make a game that DOESN'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE A RETARD, BUT IS STILL CRAPTONS OF FUN!

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Take the Minimarco from Oblivion... He looked like any other Obilivion NPC, hell if it wasnt for the dialoge and the name "Minimarco King Of Worms" on him... I wouldnt be able to distinguish him from the rest of the necromancers I have been killing through out the entire stupid Mage's Guild quests...

Same goes for ALL of the bosses in Oblivion...

For the love of god, get an imagination... 1 or 3 character assets won't kill you (When you have a huge production team that is) and it will make the game seem better because you remember killing that badass cool looking dude, and you couldnt wait to steal his armor, or that uber cool looking sword he was carrying (Forget the stats on that thing, it looks cool!)

I want to whip out a sword and try to whack away at a dragon only to be eaten up alive (Call me a masahist...)

Game developers have run out of imagination and are too lasy to do anything; games need fresh blood... Kick the old farts sitting on EA's top out... Do something to get that stagnat fart smell out of there >.<

Though one thing is for certain, the skill of artists and programmers has gone through the roof, there are so many talanted people employed, that it is sad to see that talent let down by poor managment. All they need is a good leader with a strong vision who can stand up to greedy publishers...

13. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Well they're going to dumb it down anyways, the game is being released on X360 & PS3, & the company has to compensate the fact that they only have a few buttons to work with on a gaming console compared to many on the keyboard, Unless it's a like Bioshock where supposedly they got two teams working on different interfaces for the game, So while you'll still be playing the same game either on PC or 360, the way you play the game will be different depending on what platform you chose, or so they say... Though by the looks of it Bethsoft has given up on pleasing PC gamers & would rather work with the console market because most of them will buy anything good or bad.

14. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

If Bethsoft tries to please the console market with a Fallout game, their management will probably say, "Well, Fallout was dead anyway," post-release.

Pander to your base first, and to new blood second.

15. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Never having played Fallout 1, and having played Fallout 2 only to die twice in the starter temple, the only thing i can add to this article is that i have heard many times that if the entire hardcore fallout fanbase was to make Fallout 3, even they wouldn't be happy with it.

And maybe im just saying this because i only got to the 2nd town in morrowind then got bored and cheated because they game had a depressing sense of loneliness, but i think Oblivion can be fun at times.

/me ends 2 cents.

Fixed.

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Man you really have missed a lot of the basics of RPG'ness. :|

17. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

your worried that the spiritual successor to FarCry is going to be too linear?

18. The Buttery Lobster

Ok, i perused this thread again and saw that dumpster fox's image was actually a link, and i gave THAT a read, too. I must say, despite the pessimistic article, the bulleted list presented about fallout seems very promising. Items of note:

-NO CRAPPY CHALLENGE SCALE SYSTEM! hallalujah!
    -Fewer, but MUCH LESS STUPID (THEN OBLIVION) NPCs. Praise the gaming gods! Also more voice actors so i don't have to hear the same god damn elf for hours on end.
    -Character system (stats etc.) essentially preserved (despite the fact you get 20, count em, 20 stat points by the end of the game... back in MY day we got FIVE stat points, and we liked it like that!)
    -Windows Vista not required; I'm not about to buy a new OS for a damn game.
    -"9-12" endings in place. Whether or not that entails different quest lines and a truly non-linear plot or just different narrator story at the end, idk.

Other then that, if they keep the atmosphere and moral dilemmas, I can see it not sucking. Which is good! Even if it IS just oblivion with guns, the major issues i had with oblivion seem to have been fixed.

And hay! That's the reason I posted this thread! *High Fives the Dumpster Fox*

19. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Informative five! *whh-PSHH!*

20. The Buttery Lobster

For the big dog! *snaps finger*

I do object to the ridiculous number of stat points you get. One per level? Fallout 2 didn't give you ANY per level. Ever! Why, if we wanted stat points, we took a perk, and if we were REAL desperate, we beat up old people and took their power armor!

And we liked it like that!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007