Permanant Custom Binds

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nuc, May 6, 2015.

1. Nuc

Nuc Banned

How do I make permanant binds in Empires?

when I enter them in the console the only last until I die, I tried adding them in config or autoexec but both files get reset when I die or when I restart the game.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

go to %steamapps%\common\Empires\empires\cfg and - if not present already - create an autoexec.cfg file (make sure it ends in .cfg and not .cfg.txt)

everything you put in there will be exectued when you start the game and it also overrides the contents of config.cfg (where you could make your changes aswell)

theres also <classname>.cfg files which get exectued once you switch class.

hope i helped

3. Nuc

Nuc Banned

4. flasche

just put your stuff anywhere below, above or even inbetween (as long as its on a seperate line).
    lines that start with // are just comments/commented out

its not scripting language, its just read in line by line, each on its own - so just put it anywhere in a seperate line and you should be fine.

5. Nuc

Nuc Banned

Well I just put it in each of the infantry class and it works, I'll try autoexec later, didn't know it had to be in between.

6. flasche

nono it should be fine at the end. doublecheck for typos.
    what is this emp_comm_forceattack cvar?

7. Nuc

Nuc Banned

there's no typos since it works when I put it in each infantry class.cfg and that works.

the emp_comm_forceattack is commander attack orders.

Basically I want to have A spot enemies as infantry and give attack order as commander (which by the way should be doable by default).

as for the other one it's simply giving squad attack order on whatever I shoot (which is kind of cheating :p).

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  8. flasche

you can give infantry attack orders from comm view? if so thats a "feature" ;)

there also are infantry, vehicle and commander.cfgs in the folder. i guess the infantry stuff is easier to organize in infantry.cfg than putting everything into each <class>.cfg :D

maybe try vehicle for commander drive mode? but im actually only guessing, ive never used any of the special configs.

edit:
    oooooh wait. i think you need to use emp_config for global binds. unless the button is completely unused, you cant use autoexec for that. theres something ringing, i had similar issues with something.
    but today you should be able to do everything except the attack order and fire on mouse1 in the menu.
    and the infantry/vehicle/comm.cfgs seem like a much cleaner solution anyway as theres also the generated binds in the emp_config.

i also agree, its a nasty glitch and shouldnt be possible, though rest assured you are not alone.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Isn't it weird that you die and you lose your bind?

I mean wtf?

10. Nuc

Nuc Banned

That is if they're already bound to something else. If they're not bound to anything I only lose them when I restart the game or hit ok/apply in options.

No, it's commander's attack orders, the normal one where you draw a square and it gives a target to the group you selected.

Honestly right now I found a way, I'll stick with it until I need to change ;)

Yup, but it used to be that Commanders could give all targets, at least it's not that bad.

- Mr. X.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Okay, but it's still weird.

I don't use extra binds, so I don't know if it's the same for other source mods out there.

If it isn't, it really looks like the code or whatever shit is fucked up somewhere.

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Thats really sad to learn, i was thinking about making a binds for all of the ninja stuff since its so prevelent writing it in chat becomes tedious.

13. Neoony

Neoony Member

i got no problems with binds

just put
    "unbind x"
    and then
    "bind x x"
    into autoexec and then "exec autoexec.cfg" either into launch parameters or config if it does not execute by itself.
    binds work everytime all the time for me.

put ""echo "autoexec loaded"" to see if it loaded when you start the game.

not sure what problem you guys have exactly.

EDIT:
    I only use it for squad targets and squad powers still from the times we didnt had it in options.

Here is my autoexec.cfg: http://pastebin.com/dFME5cY1

Not everything might make sense, been using that one without updating it for a very long time in empires.

You might alto try doing "host_writeconfig" after executing the autoexec, so that it will manually but for sure write your new binds and all into config.
    My config.cfg includes my custom binds, without me putting it there.

OH btw, check if config.cfg isnt set as "read only", uncheck it if it is.

Last edited: May 8, 2015