PC modding

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by REX, Aug 12, 2007.

1. REX

REX Member

I have run out of entertainment today and I am very bored now.. No games, unseen movies or series and I cant seem to find anything new or interessting at the moment. SO

If you have made some modifications to your PC show them. I have a teori that the empires community are a bit more creative and have more brainpower than most other communities I have been lurking at.... so perhaps theres are some inspirationtional setups out there ? it doesnt have to be pretty/advanced or anything.

This is my old setup
    http://www.tweakup.dk/casemods/vis/3725/ (scroll down)
    I made it in 3Dsmax and calculated angles and so on. Then it was made in Autocad and cut out by a CNC controlled robot thing, and later on powder coated.

If it turns out that there are some PC pimps here or atleast some interest I might bother taking a few pictures of my new experimental setup.

2. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I don't really have any features aside of blue fan neon on the front. And of course the specs to run every modern game.

(As soon as I get a pair of X1600s again anyway)

3. REX

REX Member

Thats fine I started by just adding fans..... and its not like my setups are able to do anything special. I just like that they look more like machines and have some ok temperatures.

4. Slithzerikai

I just have a huge ass Xilence fan to keep everything under 40°C

5. REX

REX Member

Cool I was considering Xilence in my new setup they are great, but there was no cool versions for sale here in Denmark I was looking for the 120x38mm so instead I desided to use 2x250mm to make a windtunel and see if I could make that the only active fans.

It works nicely its just not complete yet maybe I should clean my table and post a picture...

6. Slithzerikai

I got a 115x115x79 with the copper core included. Model Xilencio 64 S939.

7. REX

REX Member

Ok here it is the experimental air tunnel.

It is not completely done. I have not yet mounted 2 massive passive coolingblock. The Scythe infinety and some giant shiny thing I found for the Geforce 8 series. and the ends may need some more work but I will show it anyway. An empires exclusive as I wont post it on any of the danish mod forums..... as I will just end up being banned from them for getting pissed at all the noobs saying they dont like the colour or some stupid shit and giving low grades.

stats
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750
    HDs: 2x500Gb SataII + 1 74Gb Raptor 10000Rpm stuff

I know the picture only shows 2Gb ram but I have another set. So its 4Gb OCZ Reaper PC8500 1066Mhz

The motherboard is a Gigabyte P35 DQ6

and the Geforce 8800 Gts 640Mb version from Inno and a 22" 16:10 screen.

PSU: Antec Phantom 500W passive

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

You are too no-life. Kill yourself.

I mean make yourself alive again and then kill yourself.

9. Gunnery Seargent Hartman

Gunnery Seargent Hartman Member

Why did I look at this thread?
    I'm anti-modding and should be aware of it. :p

Why do I even post this?

10. Slithzerikai

I'm not for the fancy stuff, I have a neon fan but I can't see it because of all the dust.

11. REX

REX Member

Well I somehow knew I would get a reply like that......

Atleast I have acquired some skills.... I also made the bigass table it stands on and lots of other crap.

12. Slithzerikai

I just make my own computers. ^^

And fix my own Playstation, which I had for 5 years or so, is replaced by a PS2 mini, but still works. And my monitors. And my car (although that's a big job).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  13. Caelo

Caelo Member

I really need to get me some 1.4x1.2M plexiglass...

Also Rex, I like it :)

14. Slithzerikai

I planned to get an aquarium and lower my two whole PCs into vegetable oil for cooling after I get it really beefed up. Caseless of course, so I can have the joy of looking at them all day long.

I'm going to have to call someone over for the switches. and installment, but hey.

15. REX

REX Member

Yes I considered doing that e few times. Just never put the harddrives under they will work for several days and then die and also I think impureties can make the fluid a conductor like if there is alot of dust. I have also seen a test where they found out they had to make a seal around the cpu socket...

16. Slithzerikai

Didn't do all that much research on it, but thanks for the hind. I'll consider modifying the aquarium a bit to keep the HDDs dry, but cooled if I ever get to it.

17. Caelo

Caelo Member

Too much dust in the oil will definately make it conduct.
    Also you'll have to replace the oil after a while, unless you don't mind your room smelling like a burger tent..
    Oh and some useless advice: don't put your DVD-drive in there, not even with a hole in the side too put your dvds in..

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I built my old computer into a briefcase so that I could use it while out to sea. It goes unused now because it's not as powerful as it once was, and there's no way I'd be able to fit a GeForce 8800 in it.

19. REX

REX Member

Nice the briefcasemod is a classic

and I think theres an alternative non conductive coolant thats like siliconebased I remember some german guys who were using it and dumped dry ice into the mix. it came in what looked like small oldstyle metal milkjugs so it is probably expencive maybe even toxic :dead_imp: just like the green ethylene based stuff in my old setup... It has a warning that it causes severe birthdefects on testlab animals... very creppy to read a few months after the install.

20. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Don't use water cooling, use antifreeze cooling!