Parachute and other Server Mods, how to setup?

Discussion in 'Support' started by The_Supersonic, May 2, 2011.

1. The_Supersonic

The_Supersonic Member

Hello there,

i've setup my own server and now i would like to implement some Mod's i've already got in contact with on other empires servers.

- parachute
    - display damage (if someone hits someone else)
    - get death information (if you die, you see with what the enemy killed you and how much hp he had left).
    - jeep turbo (press shift to boost up your jeep)
    - increased_maxplayer (lol, i really couldnt find the sv var for it, maybe a mod?)

and any other mod's you mention or like to show.

Links, Tipps, Hints are all welcome. Thanks a lot

2. The_Supersonic

The_Supersonic Member

Oh, and before i forget it, does someone have the following stuff too?

- A Pro Contra map of all Research Stuff, for Example:
    Weapon XYZ is effective against Armor XYZ
    Weapon XYZ isnt effective against Armor XYZ
    and this for all Weapons and Armors?
    - Also a Pro Contra List of all Engines (Max. Speed, Boots, Heat disp.)
    - Server Commands through RCON and on the direct console.

Thanks again :)

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You need to install Sourcemod to start adding those plugins. That also requires metamod. A quick google will point you in the right direction there.

Jeep turbo requires you to modify the Empires scripts, so unless you can get the script off someone else, it's not advisable unless you know what you're doing.

Increased players is defined in the launch options for the server. I can't see how you started your server at all if you couldn't just set the player number to whatever you want it to be.

There is no "Pro Contra" map stuff, it all changes too often to be viable.

Empires specific vars can be found using "find emp_sv" in console.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

5. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I use "cvarlist emp"

6. The_Supersonic

The_Supersonic Member

@Trickster , Thanks for your advices.
    I could change the maxplayer attribute. Also Installing the Sourcemod and Metamod Addons. But arnt be able to find the plugins for empires which are used by other servers.

About those Pro / Contra stuff. There must be somewhere on the Empires server a algorithm which calculates how much damage will be inflicted on the enemy by shooting with weapon XYZ on Armor XYZ. And for this Algorithm the Server must know some parameters. Do you know maybe where those Parameters are entered/written down?

Even if they change them from one to another release, i dont have to test all again from scratch - in the first place i could only check the values which has been changed. And in the future i could create a script which creates automatically a Pro / Contra map out of those information.

@Flasche, Thanks also for your help. This was exactly what i searched for, as long as the list is complete. (I know you can't guarantee me this :) )

7. flasche

http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=Scripts
    the scripts are in the empires_scripts.gcf (if you extract it, they should be in empires\scripts\..), you need a program like gfcscape to extract them from there (and probably - dont quote me on that - a secondary empires install to get it working, read up on how to use altered content - you will need to search the forums for something along the lines "my custom sounds dont work anymore")

please note that parts of the scripts are clientside and it might act odd there if server and client dont use the same scripts (also dont think you can cheat this way, the important stuff for dmg calculation, spread and thelike are reliable on serverside - it only uses the same scripts to display ammo count and show spread on your xhair)

also, for the sake of consitency between servers, dont fiddle around with them on a public server. rather make good points on the forum, prove them with private playtests you organize and where you distribute the altered scripts to all players beforehand (thats basically how weapon balancing was done in the past) and get devs to listen to you.

hth

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  8. Trickster

We won't listen. Like, generally speaking, there has been one circumstance out of roughly 200 where I changed the scripts based off someone else's values besides my own, and even that I ended up entirely reverting because it wasn't right, so don't waste time with that at all. As Flasche said there, scripts are all in there, up to you to spend time translating them into something readable, we generally don't feel it's necessary and prefer people to learn what's good against what by just playing the game. Also, ignore that wiki page which mentions script_manifest, we don't have that.

9. flasche

one can always hope ...

10. The_Supersonic

The_Supersonic Member

@Flasche,
    its absolute clear for me that it would split the community into parts if every server-admin would change those values like he want. Its not my only reason but one of them why i wont change the values. I only want to read them, understand how all the stuff works, and get some information out of it which are valuable against enemies :)

oh and btw. still the question is open, where to get those plugins, on sourcemod or metamod there arnt any i've listed above.

11. flasche

scripts probably wont get you far with that either - theres a lot of values and its quite unclear (since its not that well documented or even undocumented) what each of them does, without having a look at the underlying code aswell.
    just keep reading the forums (though it can really be a pita from time to time) and listen to experience players on servers (also watch what experienced comms research) if you want to know whats good and whats not. experience is better then raw numbers anyway, the pure dmg of a weapon wont tell you anything about how easy/hard it is to use it for example - and there always is personal preference aswell. its no pure RTS where values matter much (they do, they do, not my point though), since in the end its humans that aim with their guns ...

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  12. Trickster

Pure DPS has no use for anything EXCEPT working out how fast you can kill a CV with that setup.

13. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester