Overheating causes hull damage.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by aaaaaa50, Feb 23, 2011.

1. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

When a tank overheats, every bar of heat above the maximum causes a small ammount of damage directly to the hull. The overheated tank can still fire it's weapons, but when overheated this causes excess heat and therefore damage the hull.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Why would this in any way benefit the game?

3. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

While this solution is a bit shit, I was always annoyed that you could fire a nuke the second you had a single bar of heat available.

How about this: when overheated, you are more vulnerable to weapons fire (and optionally, you could still fire your weapons)

4. Trickster

I don't see how that would benefit things either? And the problem is, if you don't allow firing when you have less than the amount of heat needed spare, then you'll probably never overheat. It overflows anyway afaik, so I don't see the issue. The only heat related thing I think needs to happen is that you can still move, albeit very slowly. I.e. biodiesel you can still move full speed, but other engines have varying amounts, so if we just made fission the worst as an example, you might move at 10% speed in that, and upto 30-40% for the best one (excluding biodiesel).

5. OuNin

OuNin Member

as long as overheating doesn't inhibit weapon usage and movement entirely. it'd be interesting to see people "overclocking" their tanks to deal more damage at the cost of health of their own vehicle.

6. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

That was kind of my original idea, that driving or using weapons would cause damage when overheated, but I wasn't sure how to still make sticky stuns work. In retrospect I should have included it, so I messed. It gets more complicated when you go into sticky stuns or possibly loosing speed over time or whatever. Especially when you wonder if people should be able to destroy their own tanks. Should tanks suddenly stop working when you can't take any more heat, or should we allow comm chases to end in the comm vehicle self-exploding?

7. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

i remember if u were overheated, when you fired dual homing salvo (back when it was popular).. only about 2-3 missiles came out out of the possible 8.
    i sure miss dual homing salvos...

8. OuNin

OuNin Member

If heat didn't immobilize vehicles anymore, sticky stuns could be explained as causing a disruption in the electrical control systems of the vehicle and just happen to do heat damage too.

9. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I didn't mean explanation, I meant gameplay. I don't see anything wrong with them causing overheating and still causing the sticky effect.

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

Yeah. They'd overheat and stop the vehicle like they do now.

11. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

just make overheating cut weapon firerate in half and movement speed in half there done.
    for biodiesel make it suffer the firerate loss but have no movement speed penalty.

12. Demented

Demented Member

Hi there.

Remember when I said following:
    (You probably don't remember.)
    Notice how it says "could" work, implying there are ideas that couldn't work? When I was thinking of ideas that couldn't work, I was explicitly thinking of that idea.

Though, that of course was centered around making plasma not turn the game to shit, it also applies to dealing with the issue of tanks that are apparently so powerful that shooting once every 3 seconds has become a balance issue.

13. zenarion

zenarion Member

How about you remove heat alltogether, since It's never used by an advesary against a tank, but always by a dumb tank driver against himself?

14. OuNin

OuNin Member

because it's a constraint on the usage of a tank so people can't just drive around in circles and shoot at dudes forever

15. Trickster

Seriously, firing whilst overheated damaging yourself would make heat even more unfun than it is now.

16. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I made a thread with a poll last year that was exactly that suggestion. The poll's still at 9 for 11 against and LordDz undecided. I would much rather remove heat completely than this suggestion here, since removing heat would make gameplay more fun and help simplify tank balancing, but lots of people still want it for some reason.

There also was this:

I'm not sure, but I think this post killed the thread.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  17. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

when I was new to the game I thought that the colors of the weapons slots (green, yellow, red) where related to the amount of heat to which they could be used. Like, machine guns can only be fired when heat is lower than red state.

Makes no sense, but was my first impression on that heat system shit when I was new, until I figured it works different.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yea and i didnt even get to implement the changes i wanted, blame bureaucracy

19. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

You wouldn't mind posting (somewhere) what those changes were, would you please?

20. OuNin

OuNin Member

it's better than overheating and becoming totally useless.