Overall Infantry Suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by President Dick, Oct 1, 2008.

1. President Dick

President Dick Member

*Warning : Text wall dead ahead*

90% of the time this game is won and lost with vehicles. Comms research tech for them, players prioritize them, and there's nothing like the feeling of a succeeding DU APC rush. Because of this, I feel like infantry are often overlooked, both by the team and, partly, the devs.

I know 2.2 will feature some rebalances so apologies if anything I suggest is already being done.

1. Recoil

Most semi-realistic games usually feature one of two recoil systems.

The "CS" system is basically an increase in the cone of fire after every successive shot. Most weapons become horribly inaccurate after 4 or 5 consecutive shots.

The "DoD" system features a jump in the crosshair, pushing it higher and higher and eventually off your target.

Both of these systems have their pros and cons, but the qualm I have with the empires system is that it uses both. I suggest that for 2.2 you simplify the recoil in Empires.

My personal preference is the DoD system. I've played DoD longer than CS, so my opinion is possibly biased. It's simply that the DoD system has a higher skill ceiling. You have full control of the recoil by pulling down on the mouse. And besides, players like to have control of their game. Players like = players play = more players!

2. Damage Dropoff

I'm not the biggest fan of damage dropoff. It's annoying, especially in TF2 where anything past 10 feet is "medium" range. But in a game like Empires where engagements occur at ranges of over 300 feet, it is necessary. I think we can all agree that riflemen are supposed to dominate infantry at any range. This is often not the case because of low-recoil (virtually none when crouching, let alone prone), fast-firing SMG1s. If you've ever played DoD chances are you've heard the term "tommy-sniping". This refers to getting a long-range spray kill with the Tommygun because that gun had practically no recoil. Sadly this continues in Empires.

An easy fix for this is damage dropoff; reducing a bullet's damage after it passes a certain distance. I'm in no position to even propose what the distance for each weapon should be, but it should go something like this.

Shotguns-Pistols--SMGs------Assault Rifle--HMG----Heavy Rifle--*

*each line is proportionate to in game distance. Note the distance after the HR, even that will fall off at some extreme range.

3. Swap BE Rifles

Finally a simple one :p . I feel that the BE rifle models look more like their opposites. The BEHR looks to be more suited to close combat. It has a drum magazine and more ammunition, consistent with close combat weapons, similar to the WW2 era Tommygun or PPSh. The BEAR, with its smaller side-clip, it looks alot more suited for a longer range rifle. Just a basic cosmetic change.

4. BEHR Change

Assuming #3 is agreed to, this suggestion hopes to add distinction between the BE rifles. Currently, the BEHR is just a beefier version of the BEAR; more damage and more recoil. My suggestion pushes it closer to the NF HR without making it identical. Magazine would be reduced to 15 rounds and the weapon would fire in 3-round bursts, with recoil doubling after each burst. Because a burst would be slightly more powerful than semi-auto in close and medium range, the new BEHR will have lower damage than the NF HR, and slightly less accuracy.

5. Remove the bullet push effect

Ending on a simpler note, I'd just like to see the push effect from bullets removed. Too many times I've been prone on a hill, which should give me a strategic advantage over my enemies. However, 1 bullet sends me flying into the air, getting shot a few times in midair, then landing to my death. No thanks.

Conclusion

Thanks for reading and commenting, even though you may disagree with some or all points, I'm just throwing things out there in an attempt to improve this game.

2. Demented

Demented Member

That's how they are.
    The BEAR is more accurate and kicks less (unless standing). The BEHR fires more and does more damage.

3. President Dick

President Dick Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I request the model to be switched. The BEAR looks more like a long range weapons and the BEHR looks short range. The main reason for this is suggestion #4.

4. Empty

Empty Member

That's how they are.

5. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I like the damage drop off idea most.

6. President Dick

President Dick Member

Sigh...

My suggestion (for the 3rd time) :

BE gun with side clip would be the BEHR

BE gun with drum would be the BEAR

New BEAR would be similar to NFAR, possibly lower damage and larger magazine

New BEHR would be a 15-round burst fire weapon more similar to the NFHR

I really hope that's simple enough...

7. Empty

Empty Member

Damage drop off has already been started in 2.12, it just isn't enabled, check the weapon scripts.

8. Cloud

Cloud Member

Those are some decent suggestions, although i think i prefer idea 2 and 5, with the exception of the BEHR being a long-range weapon.
    I think the BEHR is effective at medium-short to medium-long range from what i've learned by playing, it has higher recoil and higher damage, so it's most effective at being a support weapon, effectively pinning an enemy.
    And we must not forget the NF pistol sniper.

About 5, i really like this one, i've often tried flying from a few bullets hitting me in the gut.

The BEAR is a versatile weapon, it has decent damage, good accuracy even when standing and a hella high firing range.:headshot:

9. darktimes

darktimes Member

i agree whit the Threadstarter in all things.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

Fixed.

11. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

1. Yeah, I always thought the recoil system in empires was stupid. The DoD style of recoil was perfect, although a fixed weapon accuracy could also be applied so you can't snipe with pistols and such.

2.Agreed. Pistols/SMGs especially shouldn't do the same damage over any distance.

3.Disagree. They look fine as they are.

4.Highly disagree.

5.Agree again. It should either be drastically reduced or simply removed.

What's your opinion on the firing rates of the weapons?

12. Empty

Empty Member

Damage falloff is WIP in 2.12, and will probably be in 2.2. How many times do I have to say it.

13. President Dick

President Dick Member

I don't think anyone's disagreeing with you Empty. Thanks for the replies everyone.