Oooo, more land mark in future/current maps?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Rexz, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Rexz

Rexz Member

One thing I notice on most of the map is that it lack land mark, or areas where you can easily identify/reconize if you have played and experienced the map.

The maps do have land mark but for the bigger map I think it's really lacking, especially when you only have one spot that you can recognize when someone mention it.

Some cool land mark could be a statue of a NF or BE leader.

Waterfall.

Giant rock with carving of strange symbols.

Giant crater.

Fallen vehicles, a blown up helicopter like in Black Hawk Down? That would be cool. Or a destroyed mother ship from NF or BE.

A maze, that'd be fun.

Cave/Tunnel.

Bridge that is destroyed, lay in ruin, but can somehow still provide stuff to let players and vehicle cross. (the vehicle could maybe be tranfered by a dropship?)

A wrecked building, have to be big.

Vehicle graveyard/ junk yard.

Giant plant growing from the ground, could possibly be a huge tree that people can climb on top?

Tower, big giant tower.

Volcano.

A giant skeleton of a dead alien animal, could probably be a would bunch of them laying there in the desert.

You guys could probably come up with more later, i'm sure everyone have a lot of ideas for this.

These land mark is not just for scene people, ya gotta remember. These spot should be like a choke point, a major battle spot. These land mark should be the thing that everyone is going to run to, they are valuable to the entire team and is prized, they should provide tactical advantage or provide shelter and supply. And we gotta have atleast 2 or 3 in each map. In the future i want to hear people saying

"Everyone run to the tree!!"

"we need back up at bone yard!!"

"The waterfall is under attack"

Stuff like that. Cuz a giant map with a lot of bare land is just...boring, it's a waste. And with a map of 30+ people, it will be fun to have the team spread out more to control different land marks instead of just 1.

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

What if a massive A3 floated in the air over a section of the map?

3. Rexz

Rexz Member

Can you move around on it?

Land mark need to be accessable. It's not just for the scene, it's also a valuable piece of land that both side struggle for.

4. arklansman

arklansman Member

Res nodes. :)

5. Rexz

Rexz Member

What do ye mean, there's like 8 of them on a map.

Land mark can provide 2, maybe 3 nodes...

And the resource point itself is boring IMO, when someone say

"Our resource is being attack!!" And no one would know where on the map, even if someone say the coor, it will take a bit for people to figure it out.

But if someone yell

"Our resource point at the crater is being raped!!"

Then it would be more understandable. Beside, choke point still hold valuable due to the passage that let you have certain advantages to getting enemies base, if the mid and Ruin are captured, or that bridge is captured, yur team is pretty much screwed if you don't act fast. It's kinda weird how they give up map with 2 or 3 passages to get to enemies base and have nothing there in the middle of the passage. Just bare land for you to drive through. But if ya can include some neat land mark, it wouldn't just be a boring drive to the enemies base to rape them.

The landmark itself can be the base, or place of establishment, but it's just aint enough, cuz it can be destroyed, and it can be removed. Landmark never move (maybe), and it will still provide shelter and place of combat even if your base lay in ruin.

6. Vader6

Vader6 Member

I remember an old map Idea I had where there would be a mass of land on the north and south edges of the map, and between them would be a large river/niagra falls type deal with a large buildable bridge to go over the river and a small town somewhere on the map.

7. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Basically, he's arguing that the maps are rather bland, and the same few existing map features are ubiquitous. That's been a common critique since 1.0, and I think now maybe (or at least maybe with orange box SDK? idk coding) maybe this issue could actually be tackled now. Certainly something worth sticking on some sort of list.... some sort of prioritized list... or a list of priorities, if you will.

8. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Here's a funny thought:

If someone makes a model of said skeleton of big, funky animal and poses it a couple different ways, it could EASILY be implemented into current maps. All a mapper'd have to do is dump the model in the map and move it up/down to the desired uncovered-ness.

9. Rexz

Rexz Member

It'd be pretty easy to implement IMO.

It's basically just dumping object here and there for most of the land mark.

But playing with the map a bit more would be fun and I would love it if we can have something different for the map.

Remember those sugestion for rising water that force the 2 army to get nearer and nearer to each other? I want these kinda cool feature in maps. All we have right now is a piece of land we can build on, no animation of land, it's pretty dead to me, not alive at all. But if we can implement something like FOG, that would be nice, could create some nice surprises and map will be a lot more interesting!

How about blizzard in a snow map with fog add on, rain effect, snad storm effect? All these cool stuff could definetly be added to future map, or even edited in these current map that we have right now! :3

For map ideas, I think we got it pretty much covered because there are tons of ideas for the map, the only hard part is implementing it in game. If we can all make a huge list for map ideas, that would be great I think, but right now I feel that more land mark would be a good start.

10. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

I'm not sure i've done my idea justice, but I've been working on the rising water map (see mapping section) version one is just about done, at some point I'll expand it to have an underground lair in it too. Oh and it has a big fat (well, quite tiny i suppose, but its a volcanic island so maybe theres a lot underwater) extinct volcano as the setting (eventually complete with bond style baddie lair (abandoned)) so that could work for your land mark request.

Its a shame i'm not overly good at mapping or it may have come out rather nicely.

There are a few places on some maps where land marks are used, the ruins on the dustymap, dams on a couple of maps.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  11. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Why not just use the map coordinates that show up next to your name whenever you talk?

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

apethetic. was this a pointless comment? I don't think so, I just don't think it's especially important. might be interesting, but I'd rather keep things realistic in the sense that we don't have random carcus' everwhere, either animal or tank. I like the idea that you start the game on a peice of land like any other and scrap it out to the death.

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

Go play badlands, money, or district in 1.07 and then tell how much you want fog. ;)

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

This is actually an interesting suggestion.

It's a bit annoying when you have to give directions from the nearest landmark instead of using a closer one.

Like streets of fire, I usually use the bridge and the park, that does fine.

But some maps, like island, don't really have locations you can reference in one word.

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

E3. not even 1 word :P

17. Valiant

Valiant Member

aw man, i just got the greatest idea for a map.
    A blimp air fight, with your dudes in the middle, with small flying, respawning gun boat blimbs. These would follow a path, but man, it'd be sweet.