Omni Squad leader!

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vessboy, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Imagine the incentive to move as a squad if the Squad leader got all aura effects regardless of class.
    Regen
    Accuracy
    Stemina
    Damage
    All in one. Over powering? in mass numbers yes. Mass squad like numbers

Lets find the pros and cons shall we?

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The main one that I see is that it is indeed overpowered.

Either you nerf each of the effects to reduce the overall power, thereby making each effect almost unnoticable, or you remove some, leaving you back where you started.

I'm guessing your thinking is that if you have to move with your squad to stand a chance then it's going to promote squad work, but frankly I think it's going to promote hugging your squad leader more than anything, having such a heavy penalty for not being near your leader would annoy me.

If you made squad effects spread between players rather than just around the leader I think it would be better. That way they spread out with your squad in whatever direction your squad is spreading, thereby encouraging you to move with your squad but not being a tight a restriction as this would be, while also not being as free as a massive leader radius would be.

Basically if you're in the squad leader aura, you also project it, so you could form a chain of aura'd players, that way it's more 'stick as a squad' rather than 'stick to the leader' or 'stick in the same half of the map as the leader' in the case of the giant radius.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  3. Demented

Demented Member

It's not that bad.

90% of the time those abilities aren't of any use. So this way it's more like 60% of the time that your squad leader's auras won't be of any use.

Regen: Might be the favorite for most of the non-engineer SLs, since the engineer can already heal his teammates, but no other class can.
    Accuracy: I don't know how useful it is, seeing as how rifleman squad leaders aren't that common.
    Stamina: Snipers and HMG users love stamina. It's just that you usually don't need stamina when hanging around your squad.you.
    Damage: Most weapons don't have a legitimate benefit from 10% more damage.

Squad powers are just so much more fun.

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The point is it's basically like giving you two or three extra skills just for being near your squad leader, which in the early game is pretty major.

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

If anything, the incentive is good. I have spent many hours on the training server working with others, locking squads, forcing people into squads based on what they plan to do, and then working as a squad, directing movement and tactics. It works great. A majority of players hated it at first, but I soon found them doing exactly as I was doing, taking the initiative and forging strong teams. When done right, squad work is amazing fun, and this would add incentive for people that are reluctant to give it a try.

6. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Chris Not a single aura effect is overpowerd at all. And the squad aura radius isn't soo small that they need a chain effect. 5 people can be within that radius and can avoid all but nukular explosions. Once you see proper empires squad usage you'll see proximity is not an issue. And if a squad is that close then squad points will be earnd more frequently. So frequently that the points won't just be used in ticket races.

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Well.. What I say is that there should not be more abilitys merged togheter, but a slight buff to the abilitys. So that the Engineer Heal would be a little more, etc.

Maybe new icons so you really notice that you're under the effect? (Like Green borders instead of blue).

8. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

An occasional reminder to follow the green star perhaps?

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

one thing that would be interesting: on the fly aura changing. Add it as an extension of the squad menu, where the SL can select the desired effect. The change takes effect instantly, but it needs a few minutes to 'recharge' before being changed again.

10. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I personally belive in buffing the aura and Making the first skill not affected by squad attendance at all.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I know none of the aura effects are overpowered individually, but putting them all together seems to me as though it would be. The effects are basically equivalent to half a skill point, and if you put them all together that's a big advantage.

They can on something like crossroads I grant you, but on larger maps you will be more spread out, like canyon, you might want people on both sides of the canyon, but you'd be hard pressed to get the squad bonus to both groups.

Which is why I suggest either the chain effect, or simply make the squad aura apply to any group of squad members, I'd say three, if you have three guys in the same squad near each other then they get the squad aura, it doesn't have to include the leader, that way you get it even if your leader is a tard or if you're doing something else away from the rest of the squad, but are still working as a squad.

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Make the squadauras worth it and make them chooseable by the squadleader :D

Ive suggested long time ago a circle on the ground (like a selection circle in a realtime strategy game) to show the squadaura radius