# of raxes corresponds to respawn time

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by OuNin, Jun 19, 2012.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

when a team has one barracks, respawn time should be 0 or 1 seconds. additional barracks add two seconds to respawn time for a total of 5 seconds which is the usual time.

this would encourage quick responses to threats in two main instances:

- early game death waves. when a team is totally chunked out at the start of the match, the outcome is pretty much determined. typically afterwards, the winners of the skirmish get another barracks up. having the 1-rax team spawn more quickly than the 2-rax team would still give the 1-rax team a shot at recovery.

- endgame barracks siege. when a team is reduced to a single barracks, it's likely the barracks is going to be destroyed by virtue of time-manpower per player death. this is not a fun way to destroy a barracks. it pretty much robs players of their capability to destroy threats. having a respawn time of 0/1 versus an assaulter time of 5 seconds readily assists the underdogs in coming back. additionally, it can help burn out the defenders' tickets which is kind of a more fun end than losing the barracks and sitting out the rest of the match.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Idea is interesting but I do worry about my commanders holding back on spawnpoints, which is the last thing I want. I prefer to double-stack raxes in key locations as well. I get that obviously it's a tradeoff, but nothing sucks more than walking for ages to get shot.

3. OuNin

OuNin Member

holding back on spawnpoints is an impractical high level play kind of thing

though it might seem rewarding
    there's a clear and present risk with having one barracks to wrangle that benefit

depends on the team anyway. some can work from one barracks

however i don't know how apcs would be affected. do they count as a barracks? if not, they could work in a separate system and have a default 5 second count respawn

but that'd make respawns weird, like you queue into a spawn, the time elapses, then you spawn. that might work

stacking barracks in key locations is probably worth the additional spawn time.

any threat would be few and far between since the neemy would only have one barracks to outspawn you with. and god knows how far back that would be

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

whatabout apcs?
    whatabout people who think they are so pro that they have to recycle all raxes when attacking a position even on public servers? (actually i think this would be the best practice exploit for this game mechanic - risk/reward is high)

also, with 1s respawn time its gonna be damn hard to take out the last rax or even base.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  5. OuNin

OuNin Member

apcs should probably affect respawn times
    since it's also likely you can get scenarios where all you have is an APC left
    either way

one spawn is really risky and it'd be super hard to exploit that so the times should be applied to number of APCs fielded

and it isn't hard to go from 1 to 2 to 3 spawns anyway

6. flasche

yes only one spawn is risky, but if you consider a 1s spawn time, a huge reward aswell. your whole team could killspawn to a location in 1s, if one guy dies, hes back in 1s.
    ofc against such force the defenders would need all players back for defence (which might take several seconds, depending on how many rax they have at the time). so even if the attackers for some odd reason loses, their comm could simply rebuild a rax a few meters back or at some other position or whatever, its not like it takes long with repair upgrade, and the whole team can be there in 1s.

i think the increase is too high given the base value. if youd make it 4s and each rax adds .25s you could at least sustain 4 raxes with only a 5s respawn time. also its quite absurd that you make revive more valuable the more rax a team has (bc of respawn time, if its only 1s why should i wait again? i mean hey, im so uber good without me my team would certainly lose, its totally cool that IM burning throuhg ticktes, should others wait for revives :sarcasm: )

7. OuNin

OuNin Member

it's the kind of thing you can probably do in high level play but it's an extremely high risk

makes the game more interesting too

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I like the concept, but perhaps the values should a bit less extreme? Start from 5 seconds, increase by 1-2 per rax?

9. Empty

Empty Member

Cap out at like 15 seconds max, long respawn times suck, anything about 25 seconds turns people off a game (look at TF2, nobody plays anything but fucking instaspawn)

10. flasche

but pro comms recycle rax to have lower spawn bro and i so pro bro comm i do this on bro pub server bro and no seriously im no griefing bro is strategy bro noob stfu bro :rolleyes:

(i dont mean to make fun of you ounin, but about the virtual, similarities to any empires players are purely coincidental, character im speaking for)

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

This is what I was thinking as well - extreme values will create extreme gameplay. This is great for some games / mods (Think ReVolt: The Decimation), but not for Empires

12. OuNin

OuNin Member

yeah in the OP the values were pretty arbitrary but 5 seconds is still quite a bit to defend a sieged end game barracks

maybe something like 2.5 seconds per rax starting at 2.5 s with a cap of 12.5 or 15 seconds

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

or 2 seconds per rax capped at 8, so you really only get the bonus once you have just 3 raxes.

14. OuNin

OuNin Member

it's as extreme as boomtanking to build forward raxes

it's a super risky and a lot of feelings get hurt when it occurs
    that in itself should discourage it from being common

it's making shorter cycle times for extended travel times so any strategic exploitation is already equaled out

at most, you see comms building a second barracks at the front lines and recycling their main one, leaving the comm open to attack with little defense

strategic power playing doesn't exist without great risk

15. flasche

while i agree, you need to take account for public games aswell. if game mechanics dont also work with a less organised team, they are broken.

teamwork will make any team better anyway - in my personal oppinion you should try to force as little teamwork as neccessary for your game onto players.
    in quake tdm, where there has been null inbuilt teamwork you could experience very high levels of teamwork aswell.

16. communism

communism poof

fuck that I spam barracks, my team would have a minute spawn time

17. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.
    And I agree with complete. When I'm trolling my team with raxes, isn't the cost of the raxes enough of a penality?

18. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

How about:

[bonus] more radars = less respawn time,
    [bonus] more armories = quicker pick-up of ammo in the armory,
    [penalty] more vehicle factories = less wall health,
    [penalty] more barracks = higher cost for all buildings.

Games would be hell :|ove:

19. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Increase cv heat resistance and speed per radar.