Nuclear Tank

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by newguy, Dec 15, 2007.

1. newguy

newguy Member

[I am re-posting this idea since it was closed 30 seconds after I made it before, whereby I didn't have enough time to make the suitable edits. This post has the edits I did not place in the previous thread.]

I'm not sure how favourable this will be, but I thought I may as well bring this up.

I think that there should be a new and better tank after Artillery, which would be a Nuclear Tank (more powerful than the Heavy tank's nuclear weapons). This tank would enable players to use nuclear warheads, such as a hydogen bomb, to cause absolute chaos at the enemy's base. These tanks would be best used for attacking bases as opposed to battling other tanks (unlike the heavy tanks). Since these tanks would be very powerful (the most powerful in the mod) they should cost a lot. Possibly double the price of a very powerful heavy tank.

Here is something like what I mean:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7hvEAE1AC4&feature=related

What do you think?

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

The current nukes are supposed to be game enders as they are, not for battling tanks.

3. newguy

newguy Member

Yeh, and the Nuclear tank would have it's own type of bombs. Possibly hydrogen bombs, which only can be implemented in that tank.

4. ^Dee^

Seems rather redundant in my opinion.

5. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Maybe there should be a sort of Nuke bomb for the aircraft that does something like this. Less aimable, kinda shoot-downable, and does more boom.

6. Rexz

Rexz Member

Can be too powerful don't ya think?

The current nuke can already kill up to 5 or 6 guy in a corner or side of a wall. Do we really need a more powerful nuke?

7. Cheezy

Cheezy Member

I'd rather improve the current Nukes.

8. Rexz

Rexz Member

Why should it be improved? It's already powerful as it is.

9. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

as far as i can tell the only difference between newguys nukes and the current nukes is that his nukes will pretty much kill everything in an entire quadrant of the map. This is just silly, and wouldn't be any fun for anyone. As has been stated numerous times in the past, superweapons are not getting put in empires, because i don't think anyone wants the strategy of who can win by straight teching nuclear doom and pressing a button the fastest.

Heavy nuke tanks, in the current game, are exactly what you describe. The nuke missile ONLY fits on the heavy and it's blast radius is huge, and it is only average against tanks but it decimates infantry. You can even research a fission engine for the thing, if you were so inclined. They're even LABELED nuclear missiles, i don't know how much more clear one could make it.

The ONLY good thing about this suggestion is the inclusion of the mushroom cloud, but even that gets filed under the category of better graphics and sound, which has been suggested before (verbatim, add mushroom clouds.) and is probably a fairly high priority for the devs as is. Dee was right to close the thread within 30 seconds; i don't see how this new suggestion is different from the first.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

usally if one team has nukes they own most of the map and usally only need to kill turrets, buildings and inf.. which is very easy with nukes

now this is excluding the map "money".. which is just a horrible map

11. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

All i want is something like a Redeemer-y explosion effect that gives an idea how big the explosion did, but that's all just effects and not a priority.

12. Kadreal

Kadreal Member

Nukes excel at killing infantry and turrets, which is usually what a team that is down, out, and low on refineries will be using. If they are matching you in the field, heavy tank per heavy tank. Nukes should not win that, and currently they don't so much. It's working as intended.

13. The Buttery Lobster

unless everyone has nukes, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

14. newguy

newguy Member

Would someone mind posting a screenshot of the current nuke blast please? I don't know what a nuke looks like in Empires even though I play it a lot :confused:

15. The Buttery Lobster

it looks... rather.... bland, it's basically a normal red explosion sprite but twice or three times as big and slowed down animations. I'll be the first to admit it could be improved.

16. ^Dee^

It needs shockwave effect at least :)

17. thaile

thaile Member

hmm.. so anyone caught in the blast could be knocked down to prone?

18. ^Dee^

nooo, I mean visual shockwave with wavy lines and stuff. Wavy lines = awesome :D

19. The Buttery Lobster

i could live with some sort of pushback effect but i have no idea how difficult (or easy) it would be to code, or what the effect on gameplay was, or what the effect on performance would be. If you get a lot of nukespam, would the server be able to handle this affect? And what would it do to players, would they be getting knocked around like pinballs in a machine? I have no idea.

20. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Too bad we cant ragdollize players and have them come back to life with the nuke concussive blast... or we could fake it like the revive tool does...

I keep saying "Redeemer! Redeemer! UT Redeemer-style blast graphic!", and I keep agreeing with myself for some reason.