No News is Bad News

Discussion in 'General' started by The Buttery Lobster, May 15, 2006.

1. Empires Noob

Empires Noob Member

2. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

NS-Combat was created as a temporary thing for players to play something while they waited for the game to fill up, that was the original purpouse after a while combat started to spread like cancer, and the most populated servers were "combat only" playing normal NS games became more of a gourmet thing, mostly only CAL and clans...

I still would think that the hype machine must wait just a little bit longer, until 1.06 comes out and gets ironed out a little, as I do not belive the situation to be as grim.

Europe has enough players already :P what about north america :(

3. Comrade Regulus

Comrade Regulus Member

Germans are indeed the roxxors.

After 1.06, Eye-candy!!! This makes it much easier to attract new players and keep them interested whilst they become hooked on the gameplay. (Come for the eye-candy, stay for the gameplay)

That, plus if that there community video ever finishes to prove there is no longer lag, we'll be in business.

Every time I look at the steam stats, Empires is falling farther and farther. I myself haven't been playing because it take me 10 FREAKING MINUTES to load the first game. If 1.06 fixes that, I'll play all the time.

EDIT: Speaking of NS, unsoliceted Tremulous plug.

Hmmm, people should do that with Empires on other forums too.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  4. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

That's what I'm SAYING. People keep telling me, don't advertise until X date or Y change, but in the meantime, we're losing players like blindfolded bears in a minefield. A minefield filled with ninjas.

5. Comrade Regulus

Comrade Regulus Member

Anyone who goes on another forum should just make a thread in the off topic section that has.

"If you have Half-life 2 go here."

That might get some more players, even easier if it's a Half-life 2 related site, just put.

"Empires."

People's curisoty will get the best of them and they'll check it out.

6. Qwerty

Qwerty Member

Empires is incomplete, they are somewhat eager to release anything.

Sven Co-op is a great example. Each and every one of their releases are rather major. They don't release quick hot fixes or anything. Once it's released - it's released and that's final. Empires Team should do the same. Finish the darn mod and release a major release instead of inching your way to completion. It is the most satisfiable and desirable to have major releases and this method of developement.

7. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Sven Co-op has it down, though. Pretty much everything functions as it is supposed to, the balance is fair, and they aren't missing any content. Empires is still building up. It's still very beta at this point. Once everything is working as intended, the bugs are mostly quashed, and everything is relatively balanced, then Empires can look at a more drawn out release schedule.

8. FalconX

FalconX Developer

There's a purpose to open beta: finding the bugs that cannot realistically be found with a small base of testers. For example, vehicle lag in 1.0. When we tested vehicles with a couple of people they worked fine.
    Currently minor bugs are being fixed so they don't need to be worried about when major updates are incorperated.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

So I guess if we made 1.06 actually 2.0 and just held off releasing for several more months then everyone would be fine with that?

10. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

how is anybody suppose to trouble shoot problems if nobody plays it and say OOOH looky exploiters !!orr ooo looky comm problem a1c3... the whole point of a public beta is to say hey krenzo did you know bla, or hey krenzo i was like playing and stuf and it said bla mem dump..and i ask how HOW is krenzo going to ask us the people what we think would be good , if we dont even know wtf he is talking about because the last version released was like 2 years ago , and hl3 is out and nobody really is playing hl2

11. Seraph

Seraph Member

No, I think you guys know what you're doing. Just keep on working, and let us know once you want us to spread the news.

12. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

besides, steady releases keep players interested even if they are minor.

13. theBlind

theBlind Member

And they keep the mod team focused, thus keeping the mod alive.

14. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Agreed. Even though not all Empires players are minors. :P

15. Jimather

Jimather Member

i think that the two weekly release was great personally. Everyone knew that the next ironing session was not far away, it doesnt matter that the content only comes in dribs and drabs. Its more important that people feel like the mod is going somewhere at this stage.

Putting off 1.06 for a couple of months will pretty much kill this mod, as many people say it still feels very unfinished and that is killing gameplay atm, the games have become a bit too formulaic and dull becuase of many different reasons that can be easily fixed given enough time.

They can also be fixed quite independently from each other allowing a relatively quick , mostly regular pattern of releases which will keep interest in the mod alive far more effectively than telling everyone to 'just wait a few more months and it will kick some ass'. they have been hearing that for too long now.

16. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Just yeterday I managed to bring back my team in money from total defeat to a sneaky nuke win.
    It lasted for roughly 2 hours, with my CV behind an insane amount of lvl 3 turrets and walls... Surrounded by Res towers a barracks an a VF which kept being rebuilt.

At that point I thought that a simple air raid on my CV would seal the game instead of the constant blowing up and rebuilding that was going on...

I cant wait untill 1.06... I am going nuts just thinking about how its going to be...

17. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I've got to second Jimather's opinion. WAKE UP! Go on steam, and try and play another less popular mod that might have some good gameplay. Go ahead; try to play fl3x, or fueled, or to a lesser extent, plan of attack, or even HL2 Capture the flag. You MAY be able to find a server for cap flag or plan of attack, but I know I can't, and I can easily see Empires following this path. I can actually TASTE the decline in server activity. And just IMAGINE what WILL HAPPEN when a different RTS/FPS mod comes out. (I know there's news of one- lurk through the off-topic board.) I would do whatever I could, if I were a dev, to increase interest in things, before it reaches a point where no one will play the game because there's no one to play it. It won't matter HOW good the game is when that stage is reached.

18. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

shinzon: that was a gg

19. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Pop out little "mixing it up" patches that change balance slightly every so often... it'd keep things interesting...

-Sheepe

20. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

My tactic to keep the fanbase would be free cookies, t-shirts and decoder rings upon membership signup...dont forget that locator beacon implanted in your behind ;)
    ( Proudly stolen from the Blade movie series)

If it ever does get to that stage the community here is large enough to start a far and wide PR campaign, hell even one person can spread the news. And if a few people come through on making some nice looking video's then that can be another selling point right there. Although I agree that in this position I would be scrambling to 'impress the masses' in the shortest time possible but I dont think that would be a wise choice to do, mainly for the fact it 'rushes' the dev's into trying to put out features faster than they should. And even if the fanbase declines there are a few clans (BSID comes to mind) that I doubt would just up and leave, if anything we'd see more experienced and dedicated players instead of aimbotter there, speed hacker there and n00b commander there.

( If that doesnt make sense let me know...I'm kinda on a strawberry cake high at the moment ^_^)