No more posting here, but tasks to be helped with

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Trickster, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This section is being cleaned up, threads being consolidated, and other stuff. So besides this thread, no more posting threads in this section for the time being. I do have a few tasks that people can do if they want to save us some time though:

1) http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=12053

If anyone has time, I could do with this thread being rewritten. Do so in a PM to me, and I'll post it up. I basically need ScardyBob's posts (with the current relevant information, not Spawwn's old stuff), as well as considerable information reminding people that they pretty much won't need SVN unless they're a developer, mapper or modeller. The interesting part comes when you have to find the information for the new SVN, because I can't remember it. I think it's still hosted on Dizzyone's server (raegquit) but I'm not entirely sure. Post up if you're going to do it, I don't want 5 people doing the same job.

2) http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Empires

It says that Empires is dead, and we're listed on the Dead mods page, which is also linked on the Empires page. It also links to modDB. I signed up to that wiki but I can't see where to edit that specific bit. If anyone can try and clean all that up, it'd be much appreciated.
    - COMPLETED BY DEVOURAWR

*More will be added as they're required*

The general plan is that we're going to go back to closed testing, because personally, I believe that will get us more testers, seeing as since we went to open testing, the amount of testers we've had has just bombed. We're pretty much on the verge of beginning the playtesting for the next version, with the custom content bug being the only major bug still outstanding. We still don't know how to fix it, Valve are ignoring us, and that's the situation we've been in for about 3 months. We might as well get testing going, and if we can't fix it by the time we get to the point we want to release, we might just have to live with it, because ideally, we want to get out the next version before Christmas.

As I said, this is the only thread I want active in these forums, and chances are that your access to these forums might disappear soon anyway, at which point I'll post up another thread for people to request their access back.

2. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Fixed the wiki Dead Mod thing. I can't find any dead mod page, but I'll keep looking, probably haven't looked hard enough. Also, I'll volunteer to test shit.

EDIT: Nope, can't locate it. Care to post a link?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Empires can technically be declared a dead mod. 1 server gets filled, that kinda seems like a dead mod to me or at least a few breaths left till its dead. I love this mod and wish to see it get back on its feet but, it needs a heart,lungs, and liver transplant.

Since valve is ignoring us... would it be an option to go back to pre-steam setup?

4. Trickster

Empires is not dead. It is being developed, ergo it is not dead.

Also Devourawr, because you removed the dead mod link, it seems to have pulled us from the Dead mods page, and the categoy link at the bottom, so we're all sorted, thanks for that.

5. ViroMan

I will acquiesce to that statement.

What about the feasibility of my prior inquiry?

6. Trickster

We aren't going back to our old system. We're on steam, and we'll fucking well use it.

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Shut up Viroman.
    Let's get this beauty started up, I'll clean my harddrive and then dl the testmod.
    + Going to do a sketch about them boats.

8. Trickster

The majority of people should be using the steamworks testing setup, because that should help us work out where the steam related issues are.

9. Michael

Michael Member

In the good ya old times, our times, a castle wasn't taken by the enemy until the last defender, and truly the last one wasn't either captured or killed.

So Empires is not gona die while we can hold THAT ONE server up, (and development as Trickster said) though it would be nice to push back, and have more servers populated like you taled at earlier versions.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

thats certainly not how sieges worked ...

11. ViroMan

I see no reason to be uncouth.

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

the same guy who said it was dead reverted devourawr's changes. maybe someone should tell him. and change that download link on the sidebar too

13. Trickster

I've updated it and I assume he'll go back and sort out the download link to be more like the PVK II page, where, rather than just a download link, that box that says the mod is dead, instead says it's in open beta and gives links out.

14. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I'll throw in some stuff in the discussion page, have no fear.

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

change this forum area from "General" to "General Bug Testing" or something.
    Too many newbs think this is the General Discussion area.

16. Trickster

Fair enough, but some other guy added a full link for us, so I think we're golden anyway.

If you'd read my original post, you'd know this section is soon going to be locked off to all but testers, it won't be open any more. So that problem will no longer exist.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

since this forum is invisible but you can still post, heres a way to revamp the moddb page which i never got around to posting:

1. hide the download section from view or spam it with music/art downloads so as to not confuse people looking to download the current version (3 people downloaded 2.3 today)
    2. add links to the empires steam page like pvk or zombie panic does in the summary (ex: http://www.moddb.com/mods/zombie-panic-source http://www.moddb.com/mods/pirates-vikings-and-knights-ii )
    3. support desura or get rid of it

and on the subject of desura, are you going to be supporting it in the next version? (zp:s does just sayin')

e: 2000 postz

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  18. Trickster

Brutos was supposed to have closed this but whatever. Anyway, ModDB is a difficult one because no-one except Krenzo can do shit, and they won't let it be any other way. So if we want something doing, we get it done once, we're not spamming the guy constantly. The rest of us can post news and stuff.

We can add links and that was planned, and I think we can get rid of the downloads like PVK II did, but I don't get how ZPS is using Desura when they're on steam?

19. complete_

complete_ lamer

I guess it has something to do with them having the same version (like how 2.31a works on steam, but cannot actually browse the server list), but then again that still wouldn't explain how zombie panic servers show up on both platforms