Niger's Special Tips.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by BitterJesus, Nov 16, 2010.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

lol I have my own thread because I'm special, if you disagree, fuck you you're gay. I'm certain that nobody here knows ALL of these.

Grenadier:

Against vehicles:

Mines are best placed on top of inclines assuming the vehicle will go up that incline. Moving from down the incline its impossible to see the placed mine, and by the time the vehicle reaches the top, the mine will have already blown up.

Against infantry:

Mines are best placed on top of ladders where it's impossible to bypass them, as well as on stairs where you cannot see the mine until you've stepped on it.

MORTAR JUMPING:

Call for ammo, look up, see an ammo sign, move your reticle so that the top horizontal bar of the mortar crosshair is about 1cm away from the bottom of the ammo sign. SHOOT. Hit yourself in the face? If no, repeat. Overtime, you'll be able to perfect it by being able to do it on the run, estimating where it'll land and the time it'll take so you can sprint over to the location without losing time. It's hard to do this perfectly, but on lucky occasions I've had boosts which would allow me to jump over BE barracks COMPLETELY. In addition, if you know how to bunny hop, you can get a HUGE speed boost in the beginning of the game.

Engineer:

Against vehicles

Place a camera on top of a mine. Drive over it. Take no damage. PROBLEM GRENADIERS? (Note: this will destroy the camera and make an enemy get an extra point, but at least your dumbass wont die).

GENERAL:

Ladder climbing: This almost doubles your speed in climbing ladders. Thankfully, empires uses CS:S climbing mechanism (as opposed to HL2) where you are free to move on the ladder to any direction.

Instead of just pressing W on a ladder, press W and D and move your view slightly up and to the left. Over time you can perfect this.

Congratulations, you've now learned one of the most valuable tips on empires.

FUCK YOU TOO

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The mortar positioning bit is based on resolution though. If it's 1cm for you, it might not be for other people. That's why I generally use cl_showpos 1 in console for mortar jumping and just line up the coordinates. Generally, whilst you can jump over raxes and get a decent distance off mortar jumping, I've found it's only ever really worth the hit on your health if you're trying to jump a vertical wall. Since Communism showed me how to do it like 18 months ago, it's helped so much with ninjaing, especially on maps like Slaughtered and Canyon.

Also, ladder one reminded me of when we used to be able to press against a wall to run faster. I miss that.

Also, I'm going to contribute.

When fighting a vehicle, make sure you're using the right weapon. The mortar and the RPG both do 120 damage to the jeep, APC, LT and AFV. The mortar will do 120 to Artillery, Medium tanks and Heavies too. But the RPG will do just under 140 against Mediums and Artillery tanks, and 160 against Heavy tanks. But then, on top of that, consider that the mortar reloads 1.5x faster than the RPG. If you suck at maths then this probably isn't worth it, but if you can quickly do the calculations within a second at most, you can work out the most efficient way to take on the tank, based on likelihood of hitting it, how many hits it will take, etc.

As an example, If a heavy is green but no armour, he has between 280 and 375 hull HP, whilst you could maybe deck him in 2 RPG shots if he's below 320, it's more safe and efficient to do 1, then use mortar twice, to do it in the minimum amount of time and guarantee the kill (160 + 120 + 120). Reload your RPG after you've killed it. On top of this, tanks are good targets to learn how to aim the mortar on. But if for example, you're fighting any of the starting vehicles, it's always more efficient to use the mortar if you know you'll land the hit.

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the thin line between cool tricks and handy tips and raw exploits

its crossed...

4. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

blizzerd, the ladder boost is a problem with all source games and it won't change unless empires gets shitty hl2 ladders.

Either way, I'm giving you tips so you can at least match me on the field, so don't complain bitch ;).

Also, yeah I know it's different depending on the resolution, but the player should be able to figure it out.

There's a couple of other things that I use to help me win, but some who spec me a lot already know it so it's like an inside secret :3

5. Killing Machine

Killing Machine Member

I usually look down at the ground and put the charachters shoulder on the ladder and ZOOM.

6. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

No that won't work. You have to be pressing in both directions otherwise you won't reach the speed.

7. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

Aright who fed the Bitterjesus after midnight?

8. Empty

Empty Member

I'm pretty sure he's been a gremlin since before he started playing empires.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

the avatar gives it away.

10. communism

communism poof

u fail at mortar jumping
    ill dance off with you any day girl

11. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

watermelon and fried chicken are delicious

also didn't know u were black bitter

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  12. communism

communism poof

stop having life fag

13. Trickster

Admittedly Communism and Simon were the original mortar jumpers. Communism taught me <3

14. zenarion

zenarion Member

Mortar jumping should be removed, in favour of an actual grenade launcher weapon. It's a gay tactic that works against the core idea of a mortar.

15. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

So... the core idea of mortar is to be unable to jump with explosives?

16. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

guys i know that this is empires, so fuck realism...

but do really wanna be like TF2 with vehicles and rocketjumping?:rolleyes:

17. Trickster

Only like 5 people in the whole of the empiresmod community can mortar jump.

18. FN198

FN198 Member

they're niger tips...

exclusive techniques for the elite.
    in the hierarchy of tips:
    niger tips > protips > manual > hints

19. zenarion

zenarion Member

Almost everyone I know can mortar-jump. It's plain retarded. Make a dedicated grenade-launcher weapon instead.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  20. Trickster

I'll believe that when I see it.