NF vs east of emp_canyon

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Feb 20, 2015.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

What exactly does NF do to break past the flanked area with the hill at BE's end of the chokepoint?

My best solution was fortify around the ref area and shift people to the west for that front to be broken.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if you dont boomtank, rebase there as comm so that you can keep them busy till your team has time to react. if you boomtank, as long as you dont have much money build armories where they could build raxes, later place raxes everywhere - also turrets - and keep an eye on it. also the ramp up can be walled off by an engineer so that you cant drive or walk by.
    getting them off again is, depending on who is up there, equally hard on both sides. id say target their spawn options first and then throw yourself against the remaining enemies. but if you dont have good support by your team, the higher ground will fuck you over, no matter if its nf's or be's hill.

another thing on canyon i dont see lately is well built bases - as its a chokepoint map you can fit rax-vf-armory combinations so that its almost impossible to drive by them (and the small holes remaining can be locked by walls)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  3. D.D.D. Destroyer

I didn't mean that the hill is taken by NF, I meant the corridor part between the refinery in (I think) D4 and the BE hill refinery.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That whole hill is just a bad idea. You can fit an entire base up there and control the entire se, especially the d4 valley that you're talking about.

I love canyon and it's one of my favorite maps, but I don't like that.

5. flasche

dont bother with words when there is images :D
    [​IMG]
    so you mean that hill in the southwest? do anything you can to keep them up there, take the rest of the map. while its hard to get them off, its equally hard to regain ground from there.

i find the hill at nf main to be more of a threat though. if at any point east breaks in, brenodi can easily rush there since a lot only build the rax inbeteen north and east chokepoints and the next one is the one in main. if be has the momentum of an apc, chances they make it up there are good in such situation. and once they dug in, youll need a greater portion of your team to get them off leaving the rest of the map relatively uncontested.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

I don't have pictures and am too lazy to check :p

I mean the eastern chokepoint. NF holds the territory north of it and BE are holding south of it using the end of the chokepoint and the hill's flanking and height advantage. What does NF do about this situation?

7. flasche

its a death trap. even if be loses the north exit of this choke, they can rebuild on the south and easily wall it off while attacking from above. all they lost is a single, not very reliable, ref.
    maybe some fake pushes by two somewhat good players without the intention to break through, but to simply force the enemy to divert troops, not knowing its not the big push as expected and the rest overwhelms west in the meanwhile?

but all in all i think canyon leans a bit towards BE by design if its that what you wanted to hear :D

there is the option of arty which easily can hit the hill and the end of the choke, but without a dedicated team following this very plan, arty is gonna kill you no matter what.

also you mixed up "too" with "really" infront of lazy, the above image was the first hit for emp_canyon on google ^^

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah, basically I would say a distraction break-through tactic is really helpful. What you want is to slip a jeep through the chokepoint, or an APC through the west side, if possible, to take the heat off in the east.

Then, while those two semi-competent players are running around in BE main taking about 3 people away from the front lines, push the eastern front hard. For maximum lols, drop a scout in at the south forest and get them to cover there for a while, before you drop a rax or other support for them. Alternatively, they can sneak in slowly to the base and sabotage it, which will draw people away from the front.

That's if you're playing with few people. If you're playing with a lot (or a good amount as I like to call it), just encourage your squads to work together and watch each other's backs. Those squad points will come in very handy when they need to push. Also vehicles. Stupid things like regular grenades and mg's do a lot to repress the enemies there. Because of the narrow area you can keep the vehicle close but out of danger and just provide that extra support which will help you win it. It's actually super effective.

The difficulty with Canyon is for BE it's insanely hard to retake the south west side, and for NF it's about as difficult to take NE if they get entrenched. The lack of tree cover really makes it difficult in the south, and the subtle hill in the north doesn't help. It makes things interesting, but tree cover in more places and a slightly better North niche would make things better.

Also, walls. For some reason the last time I was on canyon, no one on the NF team really understood the power of walls. As an engy you can drop a massive stretch of walls that you can use to corner around the east if its taken. This creates a new front that you can defend and push back from, and remove the enemy rax.

9. flasche

another thing you could try is get into the forrest below southern choke, build a rax there and attack them from both sides. but that requires you to be able to go through the southwest area and if you got that far you could try their main, force them up the hill and lock the choke you fear so much from nf side aswell ...

10. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I will give anyone a dollar if they bring the rain back and put up a barrier or raise the canyon wall on the right so it cant get mortared over the canyon.

11. flasche

its just one ref, which is not so hard to deny if built by brenodi. play the map counter clockwise - just lock off the chokepoint right at the resnode. they either will start to ignore it or push hard against your walls which means they need more players there then you and you can come from their backs. if they ignore you, your few defenders can gain ground, but be careful not to overextend you need alive guys to hold them off, if you get a single engi up the hill you won much already. if you break and wipe it might be enough to penetrate the defenses and do the same to you, so careful.
    it also shows in how the map usually plays out. id say a vast majority of rounds go ccw, especially those won by nf.

12. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Rain op

13. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Short answer is, you dont.

Canyon is suprisingly biased towards be, the east is unbreakable unless your team gets wiped. You can setup the whole base on the highground and just camp from above.
    Really the map is decided on the west/south side. If Nf holds it, they have a good chance, if not, their own chances of defending are bad.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Which is why BE loses if they let NF get the SW. You can see from the map, the whole of SE is a little box around their base, but for NF there's no box, which both helps and hinders.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

Can we just safely say that you either keep the eastern chokepoint locked tight while the push actually happens in the west, or if you feel lucky try to rush a couple of vehicles across?

Or is there something missing here.

16. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, it's just a flaw in the map. It's a mini s-bend with one side having a height advantage for a non-insignificant portion of it.

17. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I think I missed the party.

All NF needed to do is to take the D4 rax/ref and fortify the area, that chokepoint is really good for NF to defend.
    As long as NF don't burn their tickets like crazy, they will most likely win.

It's really not worthy to keep advancing, west side is much easier to attack.

Or next time when we have the chance, I'll join NF.