Nf is pinned in SOF's main

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Feb 9, 2015.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

What do?

What should each person in a team do to recover the situation, what should the commander research/build/order, where does the team push, what are possible dangers and rewarding moves?

I had those questions yesterday and could not find a good answer myself. Help pls?

2. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Not getting pinned in SOF's main is a start.

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

They are placed in low ground with only two exits, both of which are long and difficult to fight through.

Luckily, nf's mls are generally better in closed areas such as those two long exit streets, but it's still challenging to fight up hill.

I think the moral of the story is that mappers need to put bases up hill where enemies have to fight up to them. I'm not suggesting that every map have something like canyon's hills - those are bad because they are only accessed through easily defended chokepoints.

But we ultimately have to play with the maps that we have. If you're pinned in your main, you need a lot of teamwork to get out. I'd use ugl, cannons or maybe even arty to get up on the ledge of the broken bridge as a start. Then you make those missile boats work for you. Don't push up, just clear a path so there are no enemy buildings or walls all the way to the fountain. Then you can push tanks up there and the com can follow with a turret farm all the way up to the fountain. At that point, you have to do the same thing again, but in two directions. Hold your ground and work those boats.

I commed be for most of that match and I think be eventually won because the team didn't rush into nf main. They used the verticality to slowly clear it until nf couldn't fight back. Turrets and armories prevented that one push to the fountain. Be hung back and didn't let nf set up missile boats that would've cleared the turrets and armories.

But yeah, that one was weird. Nf had massive stacks, but be was executing ridiculously well. It certainly wasn't my commanding that won that one.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  4. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Really should put ladders up to those building roofs above it, put a little more detail and cover up there and actually allow NF to use it legitimately. Same thing for the rafters in BE's base. That way both teams have higher ground around their bases they can fight back from (or be unpleasantly suprised from quite possibly).

I would actuallt stick one barracks up there. And try and clear that broken bridge for sure. If you can put enough covering fire onto that bridge you stand a chance of getting a squad up there alive.

5. ImSpartacus

I don't believe the sof vmf is available. :(

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

I actually came up with that on my own, tyvm.

7. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

You lose. Thats it. Like that is litterally it. You cant fight back the only way you win is if they have 0 tickets and u have 200.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Never liked NF's main on Streets of Fire. It just seemed to wildly unbalanced - basically a hole for the team to die in. If it was raised by maybe half its height it would be better. Or maybe a third.

9. Empty

Empty Member

On the other hand defending the main road going into NF main is one of the most fun locations to fight in. I fucking love the fountain and it's surrounding areas.

I think a good strat is to try and sneak an APC or a jeep out and start harassing BE refs to at least make them split their attention and get the heat off you, but the lack of res will also be a killer and getting that vehicle out will be a pain in the ass too. Squads working well together can also push out but it's very difficult, it's vital to get wallspam up on the highground to get a foothold.

If BE are at heavies though, it's best to just roll over and die, the fact you aren't dead yet is mainly because the barracks has too much health. Just accept the loss and move the next map.

10. ImSpartacus

The crazy thing was that be wasn't at heavies when this occurred.

It was mostly an infantry push all the way to the fountain that you mentioned. This was possibly due to the doubled research times on epic. Once be got mediums (after nf, mind you), be only pushed a short distance and got deadlocked outside nf main since nf started defending well at that point. My connection started dying about two minutes before heavies. It was a peculiar match.

11. Empty

Empty Member

We used to get matches like that probably 30 or 40% of the time back on the australian server years ago.

In currentpires it is a bit weird, but on the aussie server we had a HUGE focus on infantry, all the aussies are hella good at infantry so tanks were actually kinda underused and we just slogged away at eachother as soldiers and a lot of the time we ended up in that situation.

If BE has you pinned without heavies or meds then the only reason you can't push out is because BE is better than you. I know that kinda sucks but at the end of the day sometimes you're outclassed. I've seen NF come back from it a lot of times way back in the day, but they had to work together very strongly. The staircase just outside the barracks is critical to capture and hold, if you can't hold that staircase you may as well recycle.

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

So the conclusion here is just keel over and die?

And yet you guys (and me too) stick to the bitter end twenty minutes later, perhaps you have a special tactic of some description or just try the Spartacus approach but refuse to acknowledge that?

13. ImSpartacus

You're basically fighting in a basement. Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties.

[YOUTUBE]7CnBrz_j-a0[/YOUTUBE]

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Most comebacks revolve around enticement and being a pretty tough nut to crack. If the enemy keeps pushing and you manage to take down a few of their heavies, they invariably run out for a while, which may let you take back the fountain. No point putting a barracks there at that point though, but if you can secure the left hand side, you might make a play.

Best bet is to sneak a few people into middle at that point, to subtly take down a bunch of structures and build a hidden rax so when you make a push, you'll suddenly have middle dominance.

It's too bad really. The buildings provide a lot of cover, but what you'd really need in that situation is jeep distraction craziness, but you just can't do that on SoF.

15. ImSpartacus

This happened AGAIN.

And once again, NF is stacked to hell with people like hopfi or spike and BE is a bunch of pubbers or no-names. BE didn't even have a well known com (I've never seen him before and don't even remember his name).

BE is getting shoved out of mid by superior NF players, but NF doesn't seem to be able to permanently hold anything and they get pushed all the way back to their main. Again, it happened before either team got heavies.

It probably didn't help that I was driving APCs into NF's main and taking out all of their refs (they didn't put any turrets on that side of the main). It kept the hopfi's of the team in NF main waiting to intercept anyone that got behind the front lines. Eventually it got the point where those NF players were at the front lines.

Luckily this ended shortly after BE got heavies because NF had no money and couldn't hold out as infantry.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

Sounds more like a strategy issue this time, the first time we had enough to field heavies slowly, but you guys out-DPSed our engineers.

17. OuNin

OuNin Member

It sounds like bad design but without the vmf there's probably no means of coping Besides establishing a strong base in the A2-D2 area and operating out of there primarily instead of the "main base"

18. Metruption

Metruption Member

NF can place a VF at the bridge and park an APC behind it. They have a very strong early advantage

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

just that the vf can easily be mortared from safe spots. and apart of that, brenodi can build a whole fucking base in center.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  20. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Gee, i wonder if its because nf cant place a rax anywhere that isnt ridiculously close to be's own main.

And how exactly is that. Main brdige way is going to be blocked by a rax at the very least and you prohibit yourself from using the left alleyway with that placement. Not to mention youre horribly fucked if be actually takes the second set of bridge supports.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015