New type of Anti-Tank rifle idea

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by President Dick, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. President Dick

President Dick Member

I had this idea a while ago, so I thought I'd give it a try. I looked at the suggestion sticky (which may be a surprise to some of you vets) and saw that AT rifles were "done to death". Not deterred, I searched the suggestions for similar threads, and found that most of them wanted this type of weapon for the Grenadier. This seems quite pointless, would be hard to balance, and would go against the theme of the class. This weapon would be for the Rifleman. The weapon itself would resemble the Soviet WW2-era PTRD, firing a huge-ass hitscan cartridge. It could only be fired when prone and iron-sighted. Its damage per hit would be less than the RPG, but would be easier to get a hit due to its point and click usage. Finally, because the rifle would be so large, grenades would be unavailable when using it. Its ironsights would be slow to bring up and very clunky, making it hard to use against infantry, and its ammo being so limited, and reload so long, it would be a waste to use it against infantry even if you are good at aiming. On a more organized level, this would add more variations to squads. As well as the standard anti-infantry rifleman, it would now be possible to swap out one of the grenadiers with an anti-tank rifleman if need be, like in a wide open map like cyclopean.

In summary, the pros & cons of this weapon.

Pros:
    -New squad formations possible. 2 riflemen with different purposes.
    -Easy to use hitscan weapon, useful against fast-moving armor at long ranges.
    -Highest damage of all hitscan weapons.
    -Pinpoint accuracy.

Cons:
    -Practically zero mobility (requires prone and IS to fire).
    -Horribly long reload, reloads after every shot.
    -No grenades.
    -Not as powerful as RPG vs armor
    -Worthless vs buildings.

Hope my idea gets a fair chance even though its been "done to death".

2. Empty

Empty Member

It's been done to death, you know it, but you made a thread anyway.

3. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Just because you change the class it's intended for doesn't makes it any better. You're just trying to find reasons to add a bad idea.

4. Rynthas

Rynthas Member

There's a reason nobody uses rifles as real anti-armor weapons anymore, and it's because recoilless rifles/RPG's tend to do the job better and more efficiently. If every class got to choose from half a dozen distinct weapons encompassing (in whole) most every option available on the battlefield, maybe it'd make sense as one of the last weapons added -- but even then, it would suit the long-range style of the scout a lot better.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Scouts are not long range units.

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.