New Subforums: Mapping/Map Submissions, Mapping/Map Drafts, Mapping/Map Requests

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by PatPeter, Sep 23, 2011.

1. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

Title is self-explanatory. I've been searching for several maps (one of which was emp_king_r5 until I played it on VIPER's this Monday (I didn't know the name previously), which is now my favorite map hands-down) in the Mapping section and the forum is a death trap. I had to go through 5 pages of questions and drafts to find one released map.

• Mapping/Map Submissions - Definitely
    • Mapping/Map Drafts - Maybe
    • Mapping/Map Requests - Could remain the in Mapping section

P.S. If anyone wants to help me these are the maps I can't remember:
    • A swamp map where BE spawns southeast and NF spawns northwest
    • A toxic wasteland where the teams have to build bridges across toxic rivers, BE southeast, NF northwest.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

Mapping forum is indeed a deathtrap, but its more of the fault of the mappers for naming their topics so stupidly.

also maps:
    emp_insurrection (broken currently)
    emp_hazard (broken or noone likes it)

3. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

[​IMG] Varbles likes this.

4. PatPeter

Thanks complete_ <3. I searched emp_biohazard and couldn't find it lol.

emp_hazard is an awesome map, if it isn't broken I'll ask Vicki to add it.

5. Empty

Empty Member

We have a mapping section that does all of these things perfectly fine, and it's one of the slowest sections on the forum. Splitting it up will slow the sections down even more.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Hazard and Insurrection are broken. They might be fixed in our next release, if the necessary code-side changes are made.

7. PatPeter

Why does the Suggestions forum have:

• Under Consideration - 34 threads
    • Implemented - 31 threads
    • Rejected - 68 threads

of 3,920 threads? Proportionally, the first two subforums should have ~100-200 threads each, with Rejected having ~3000. If you're going to say the mapping section is slow, then the suggestions subforums must be an snail inbred with a slug.

----

The point is the mapping forum doesn't do all these things perfectly fine; listen to me, listen to complete_, listen to anyone who goes through the mapping section looking for a map only to find nothing.

At the very least, we should have a Map Submissions forum: put every link to or attachment of .bsp-hardcopy Empires maps in one location for ease of access by server administrators.

Map Drafts would be cool because I actually see a lot of them while browsing that forum.

Map Requests are debatable because we don't have a consistent map team.

Point is, there is no argument that splitting up the Mapping forum would slow it down: none at all. In fact, it would speed up the time it takes for users to find a certain map or map idea, both in the Map Submissions subforum (all actual maps in one place) and the main Mapping forum (less threads).

Yes please, the more diversity in Empires the more people we can hold onto.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  8. Empty

Empty Member

Suggestions forum is highly different to the mapping section, also the cleanup of it never got completed.
    Trickster is still technically responsible for sorting the threads (it was his idea)

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I gave up because it takes too long to rename, close and move every single thread. You can do it for all I care. If we ever get the Vbulletin update and it streamlines the modCP a bit, then I'll happily go back to doing it, but it takes me like 30-45 seconds per thread, which means, given reading and judging and shit, moving 10 threads can take me quarter of an hour, if I'm to be really fair, and it's just not worth it for that.

But the point is, Empty is right, and you are wrong. Suggestions forum is completely different to the mapping forum, and there's no point dividing everything up. If server administrators are too lazy to track down the maps, they're too lazy to be server administrators. It is not difficult to accomplish.

And the "Yes please, blah blah I like dicks in my ass". It's a bug. Empires currently isn't mounting lost coast material, and isn't allowing certain stuff from your game folder if it's custom. It's not a case of if we feel like fixing those maps specifically, it's a game-wide problem, a bug that has to be fixed, it's nothing to do with diversity or any of that shit. Notice emp_coast has an error model on the beach? That's the boat from lost coast. And Mvalley dam has an error model in it? Another lost coast model. All the same shit.

10. PatPeter

Yeah, I totally would have volunteered already but I've moderated this forum version before. I know your pain.

I'm aware of what the problem is. I've heard it multiple times and it was easy to deduct seeing that all Source engine games work the same way.

Saying "Yes please," is simply my way of putting my own priorities on Empires into words. My first priority was to find all the maps I could remember but not by name, my second was to play them. I very much wish to play them and will continue to convey that.